Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce 8600 GT replacement

Options
  • 12-02-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Need some help - my good old reliable Dell Inspiron 530 from 2007 is going through a tough time. The graphics card, a GeForce 8600 GT, appears to be giving up the ghost, causing blue screens and then eitehr not being recognised or not running due to a Code 43 error. Have tried various system restores, re-installing of drivers etc but appears I'm out of look.

I'm looking for a budget graphics card to replace it - preferably a higher spec (it's a 256mb, 512 or higher would be nice but it is not a priority) - but am at a complete loss for what I need and would be suitable. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

most cards are 1gb now, 512 would be fine. You need to go off your PSU though and how much output it has. Typically a good GPU wants at least 400W power supply to sustain it. But more helps improve system stability and longevity. A decent everyman card I always reccomend is the AMD 6770 or 5770, either will do nicely. If you do go back to nvidia look at the GT 545 or GTX 550 Ti or similar. Ultimately though your PC is getting old. It's not obsolete, but start thinking about it. Any card and PSU you get in the meantime can be ported over to a new PC Build when you are ready to take that on.

Advertisement