Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray/Kilcoole/Greystones Bus Services

• 12-02-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭

While Managers are consuting with what they see as the public. It time to roar scream and get your message across in anyway you see fit.

http://www.braypeople.ie/news/no-cuts-to-the-bus-routes-in-north-wicklow-3014063.html

Wednesday February 08 2012

DUBLIN BUS has given a commitment not to implement any cuts to the 45 or 84 bus routes, and to begin a public consultation process to see what the needs of the public are.
    The commitment was given during a meeting of Greystones Town Council, at which around 60 protesters voiced their opinion with chants and banners.
    Dublin Bus representatives Chris Rafferty and John Sanders came to Greystones to address the meeting.
    Mayor Tom Fortune pleaded with them to shelve any plans to change the bus routes in North Wicklow. ' You have to listen to us,' he said.
    Mr. Rafferty said that nothing was finalised, but that internal plans had been going on at Dublin bus for around eight months. The most controversial proposal tabled was to direct the 84 to Blackrock, with the idea that passengers from Newcastle, Kilcoole and Greystones could link with the 145 in Bray to go on into town.
    It was proposed that the 45 be scrapped altogether, and replaced with an 84A in to Blackrock.
    'It's not written in stone,' said Mr. Sanders. ' We take on board the passion we see hear tonight and we get the message loud and clear.'
    It was an uncharacteristically irate Cllr. Grainne Mcloughlin who had the most heated exchange with the representatives, sparking a raucous round of applause from the public gallery.
    'Public transport is not all about profit,' she said. 'Some routes that make money subsidise others that don't. You have put obstacle upon obstacle in the way of the 84 and it is disingenuous that you're hung up on Blackrock. Blackrock is not suitable for North Wicklow. The people of Wicklow are not putting up with a change to Blackrock. You will have people going into Bray for a cuckoo-race around Dublin with two fares costing more. You have got to listen to the people - Blackrock is a non-starter.'
    Mayor Tom Fortune had to scold the members of the public who burst in to applause when Cllr. Mcloughlin finished speaking. ' You are very welcome here,' he said, ' but please remain quiet.'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've edited the thread title because the 45 route could be substantially cut in Bray.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Ive never seen more than a Handful of People use the 84 at off Peak times once it gets past Bray i think a More High Frequency Shuttle similiar to the 184 but go as far as Cherrywood as Orginally intended in the Last Route review would be better As you have the Option of two Rail Stations, Luas & Bus to Further you're Journey to town.

And also increase 84x at Peak Times would dramatically improve the Service IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tonyon

Seems Finnegans no longer allow travel pass to be used on their buses. Anyone know what the story is?.

I imagine money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dublin Bus:
    Route 84 and 45 will be amalgamated and operate as route 84. The revised service will operate from Newcastle to Blackrock Village via Kilcoole, Greystones, Vevay Road, Bray Rail Station, Shankill, Cherrywood (Luas), Cornelscourt, Clonkeen Road and Deans Grange. The revised timetable will provide a 10% increase in services between Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole & Newcastle.
    Thats not "amalgamation", its a completely different service now, if it was 'amalgamated' it would bear some resemblance to both routes, ie IT WOULD STILL GO INTO THE CITY CENTRE, WTF good is Blackrock to anyone? :mad:

I go down to Galway every weekend and during the week aswell, I used to be able to come back up from Galway, 15 minute walk to Merrion square from O Connells street, hop on the 45, dropped off at my front door on the Boghall Road 30 minutes later for 2 Euro and still have all Sunday Evening left to enjoy before back to work on Monday. What now? The DART (more expensive for not much of a reduction in journey time), waste more time walking up to main street, usually another 20 minutes waiting for a bus there, another €2 fare on top to be dropped either end of the Boghall and have to walk it the rest of the way, another 20 minutes.

So pissed off about this, sorry for the rant but for them to take the main route into the City Center and change it to a Blackrock bus and just shrug and say fcuk it, good enough makes me so mad. Would it kill them to ever include a Google Map when they do stuff like this awell? Seriously I recognise about 3 places in that paragraph and I don't know where the bus stops are in any of them, so lazy, every time Dublin Bus do anything it just sums up this country perfectly.

Can anyone suggest what the best way to get out to the Boghall Road on a Sunday evening is now? Whats the LUAS like to Cherrywood? Is the bus stop nearby or is it another 20 minute walk through housing estates? Would really appreciate if you could link it on a map aswell please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

How long will it take the bus to get from Newcastle to Bray? I get the 45 to work in the mornings and will need to know timings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thargor wrote: »
    I go down to Galway every weekend and during the week aswell, I used to be able to come back up from Galway, 15 minute walk to Merrion square from O Connells street, hop on the 45, dropped off at my front door on the Boghall Road 30 minutes later for 2 Euro and still have all Sunday Evening left to enjoy before back to work on Monday. What now? The DART (more expensive for not much of a reduction in journey time), waste more time walking up to main street, usually another 20 minutes waiting for a bus there, another €2 fare on top to be dropped either end of the Boghall and have to walk it the rest of the way, another 20 minutes.
    Get the 145 to the junction of Boghall Road and Killarney Road and walk the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Alun wrote: »
    Get the 145 to the junction of Boghall Road and Killarney Road and walk the rest?
    Oh yeah never looked at that before, seems like a good alternative, thanks Alun.

Rant postponed :D

keano_afc wrote: »
    How long will it take the bus to get from Newcastle to Bray? I get the 45 to work in the mornings and will need to know timings.

New/Bray will be the same as the 84 was as same routing. From memory (minimums 25 off peak to 45 at peak). Im saying 25 but it would be very hopefull but at least you wont miss it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh yeah never looked at that before, seems like a good alternative, thanks Alun.

Rant postponed :D

The most frequent service to/from Bray and you never thought of it?

It operates to/from Heuston Station and serves stops along the north quays to Bachelor's Walk and then D'Olier Street if that's any help depending on where you get dropped from coming from Galway.

Remember too that 10 Journey Travel 90 tickets are valid on the bus for €2.15 a trip, and you can change to a 45a with no extra cost.

Advertisement