Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emobile

Options
  • 12-02-2012 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I'm currently using O2 for my phone on the experience plus plan, and I'm thinking of switching to Emobile. Are they any good? I have a couple of questions that I'd like to hear peoples opinion on.
    1. Price plans - Is it true that you get free calls and texts to 086 and 087 numbers?
    2. What about landline numbers, how are they charged?
    3. Does the person ringing YOU incur any extra cost?
    4. Customer service - What is their customer service like? Their website is dismal, but I'd be prepared to forgive that, most mobile phone operators websites are crap. For example, I couldnt find satisfactory answers to these questions on their website.
    5. Ifa person switches, can they keep their original number?
    6. What is the reception like in general?
    7. Do they offer any nice phones, and if so, is it only on contract?
    8. And finally, does anybody have experience of cancelling from O2? What are the pitfalls?
    Any help appreciated, thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 drjis

i add an extra question, any international webtexts? or only for irish numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

newmug wrote: »
    Hi folks. I'm currently using O2 for my phone on the experience plus plan, and I'm thinking of switching to Emobile. Are they any good? I have a couple of questions that I'd like to hear peoples opinion on.
    1. Price plans - Is it true that you get free calls and texts to 086 and 087 numbers?
    2. What about landline numbers, how are they charged?
    3. Does the person ringing YOU incur any extra cost?
    4. Customer service - What is their customer service like? Their website is dismal, but I'd be prepared to forgive that, most mobile phone operators websites are crap. For example, I couldnt find satisfactory answers to these questions on their website.
    5. Ifa person switches, can they keep their original number?
    6. What is the reception like in general?
    7. Do they offer any nice phones, and if so, is it only on contract?
    8. And finally, does anybody have experience of cancelling from O2? What are the pitfalls?
    Any help appreciated, thanks folks.

They have different plans on both prepay and bill pay. Their unlimited package will give you unlimited calls to all Irish numbers.

1. Answered above.
    2. Free on prepay if you choose their top up deals and free on bill pay.
    3. Depends. If an Irish number they get charged as normal, but if they were ringing you for free because you were on o2 they would start to be charged.
    4. Hit and miss. Depends who you get through to. Some have no idea, some know exactly how to help.
    5. Yes you can keep your number, all you do is switch network.
    6. Runs on Meteors reception so if you know anyone on Meteor bring them over to check.
    7. They offer all phones on both prepay and bill pay. You obviously get them cheaper on a contract.
    8. No, but if you're out of contract all you have to do is go to an emobile store and ask to switch. Pick your phone and choose whether you want prepay or bill pay. O2 will be notified you want to switch as soon as emobile put the request to switch you through. If you're in contract o2 will charge you a cancellation fee which for most networks tends to be the remainder of your contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

They have different plans on both prepay and bill pay. Their unlimited package will give you unlimited calls to all Irish numbers.

1. Answered above.
    2. Free on prepay if you choose their top up deals and free on bill pay.
    3. Depends. If an Irish number they get charged as normal, but if they were ringing you for free because you were on o2 they would start to be charged.

Thanks Craig. Those answers are very helpful.

But I just cant get my head around the unlimited calls bit. Really? Free, unlimited calls to every Irish number in existance, whether its 083, 085, 086, 087, 088 or landline? There must be a catch.

The reason I want to switch is because of costs. My current 086 plan costs E20 per month, and gives free calls and txts to other 086's, but it absolutely rapes you when ringing landlines or 087's. To combat this, the OH got me another phone with an 087 number. Same deal there, E20 per month (so E40 p/m in total) and free calls and txts to other 087's, but forget about using it for anything else.

Now I cant be going around with 2 phones. As it happens, the 087 is now banjaxed, and my 086 isnt too far behind it. Hence my interest in changing to a network that supplies free calls and texts to both major networks, and landlines, and gives you a nice new phone to go along with it.

Are there any other networks / plans that might suit my needs? I heard about Emobile through a friend, so I thought they were the only ones with such a offer. Maybe there's others, but as I say, their websites aren't very helpful.

[PS- I kinda fecked up question 3 in my OP. What I meant was, if you are with Emobile and you ring a person, do they get charged for answering the call?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

No Irish network charges to receive calls while in Ireland thankfully!

Tesco do 10,000 minutes, 10,000 texts to any ROI network and 15GB of data for €75 per month and I also believe they recently introduced international webtexts (Emobile currently don't offer international webtexts). Tesco use the O2 network so identical coverage to O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Thanks Craig. Those answers are very helpful.

But I just cant get my head around the unlimited calls bit. Really? Free, unlimited calls to every Irish number in existance, whether its 083, 085, 086, 087, 088 or landline? There must be a catch.

The reason I want to switch is because of costs. My current 086 plan costs E20 per month, and gives free calls and txts to other 086's, but it absolutely rapes you when ringing landlines or 087's. To combat this, the OH got me another phone with an 087 number. Same deal there, E20 per month (so E40 p/m in total) and free calls and txts to other 087's, but forget about using it for anything else.

Now I cant be going around with 2 phones. As it happens, the 087 is now banjaxed, and my 086 isnt too far behind it. Hence my interest in changing to a network that supplies free calls and texts to both major networks, and landlines, and gives you a nice new phone to go along with it.

Are there any other networks / plans that might suit my needs? I heard about Emobile through a friend, so I thought they were the only ones with such a offer. Maybe there's others, but as I say, their websites aren't very helpful.

[PS- I kinda fecked up question 3 in my OP. What I meant was, if you are with Emobile and you ring a person, do they get charged for answering the call?]

Unlimited minutes is 45,000 mins per month to any Irish mobiles. There isn't even 45,000 mins in a month it is really unlimited. :D

And no the person won't be charged to answer the call, no network would get away with that. €64 a month if you're an Eircom customer and €74 if you're not. Most phones are free on an 18 month contract with that plan. If you have an unlocked phone that you want to keep using they now offer a 30 day version of that package for €54 if you're an eircom customer and €64 if you're not.

Any other questions give me a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 martinar2

stay away from them, if ever i gave advice , this is it after dealing with them for many hours over phone nothing resolved and they actually try to give the impression that nothing will be resolved so you will basically get fed up and leave them alone, I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!!! and will not give up!
    Everyone should stay well clear of them and you only get their deals applied by harassing them with legal terms!

martinar2 wrote: »
    stay away from them, if ever i gave advice , this is it after dealing with them for many hours over phone nothing resolved and they actually try to give the impression that nothing will be resolved so you will basically get fed up and leave them alone, I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!!! and will not give up!
    Everyone should stay well clear of them and you only get their deals applied by harassing them with legal terms!

Tell us more martina. Still havent gone with them, help me decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

You seem to make a lot of any network calls?

Meteor have a 30 EUR top up plan that gives you 30 EUR credit and 5,000 any network anytime minutes and 5,000 any network text messages. You can use the 30 EUR credit to buy data add ons. Might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

48???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

1. Price plans - Is it true that you get free calls and texts to 086 and 087 numbers?.

083, 085 & 089 too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 martinar2

I joined thinking the deals were great, had to call literally 20 times to get the free €20 a month for topping up €20 a month by direct debit, all reps had different stories in their customer care centre, I complied with the different tasks so it would be sorted, final straw asked for managers many times, talked to many managers and I got the impression your passed off to the fellow in the next chair! eventually after 2 months of harassing them it was sorted!
    I thought it was sorted , recently I thing it reverted to not adding the free credit!
    Hence I asked for a statement recently, never got one after being told it would be sent, asked again, never got it, again! talking to a possible manager today, his story was that it had to be requested by email or letter as they had to see my signature, I asked why as they had no reference as to what my signature looked like as they were never given one by me in the past, all unimportant to him as their terms and conditions that they hide behind states it is necessary, they are performing their party piece, that being Frustration with a capital F!

Today the talk was mainly about the 3 free months of data trial, he said that i should not have been offered it as it was not available for the customer care team to offer it?????? It could only be done by text?, i said that was unimportant to me as one of their people made a representation to me, I gave him the date and time of the phone call and they still maintained it would be too hard to trace the recording even with that information(yesterday and the day before other "managers" were to find it and then contact me, seeing as how its a phone company do you think they could phone me?,even if it was to tell me they couldn't find it) (My thoughts on the matter was that they deleted it as it suited them to do so) ,

Today he said that they receive over 4500 calls a day (that in itself tells me they are pulling the nations leg), I said that the fact that the recording would clear up the matter and that if they do not sort it out that they are implying that I am lying! Unimportant to them! I said then that it was unreasonable to assume I was lying and that they could simply rectify the situation by putting me on the plan that I said I was on by the press of a button!

I even got text messages from them , automated as they may be, that "you are currently availing of the data add on for free"

He then offered me €20 credit, still putting me in a worse position , by €10, than if they had stood by the offer they offered me! I agreed obviously but kept arguing as to their service , reported my "friend" John Sheehan and his attitude and the time and date of the phone call to him. After that it was a case of goodbye etc and then he asked me again did I want the free €20 credit, I asked him what did he think etc. , that was another minute of waffling, I asked him was he serious and did he forget that I said yes the first time, even with that said he still needed me to clarify for the fourth or fifth time that yes I would have the credit obviously!

OH THEY TAKE IT ALL VERY SERIOUSLY, I was told :D Who are they kidding?

Record your conversations with them, ask for the name of the rep you are talking to including their surname as John Sheehan said there were many John's and I wanted his name as he was particularly ignorant and basically intimated to me that he was sitting pretty in his job doing (from what I could gather) nothing and collecting his paycheque for "a number of months".

Also get the rep to put a note on the account with their name as seemingly it aids in recovering recorded conversations, as even if you have the date and time to quote them, they cannot find them!

I said that they have data relating to me and that they have 40 days to produce it, thats when I'll get the data commissioner on their trail (its the little things!), I will chase them up on it after I get the recordings and if they are lacking will leave it to the data commissioner, suits me as I have college finals coming up in May!

Stay Clear of them, although I admit that the deals are "convincing", but record the calls you have to make from your end, then hopefully you can catch them in a lie, all the while giving them enough rope to hang themselves with!

OH and never get put on hold as they seem to use it as a tool to hang up on you with! Hope I've helped!

Fungus wrote: »
    You seem to make a lot of any network calls?

Meteor have a 30 EUR top up plan that gives you 30 EUR credit and 5,000 any network anytime minutes and 5,000 any network text messages. You can use the 30 EUR credit to buy data add ons. Might suit you.

Just had a look at their website there. Is it not free any-network calls OR free any-network texts for E30?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

the emobile prepay offer of 20 euro every 30 days gives you free calls to emobile free calls to meteor free calls to all landlines in the 32 counties 250 minutes of free calls to all other irish networks, 250 free texts and 250 mb of internet, you also get free use of eircoms internet hotspots all over the country, also free texts to meteor and emobile. in addition you get 10 euro bonus credit for topping up by 20 every month .

Advertisement