Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hooaregaarden

Options
  • 12-02-2012 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

have to say one of the nicest beers i have ever tasted. lidl had it on special last October and i bought a few cases which have now been liquidated. i see Tesco and a few other places have it but its dear enough. drinkstore.ie also. anyone else come across it at a decent price?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's a pretty average. Beer in my opinion. I wouldn't be gone on it myself. I actually think Metalman's Alternator, which is brewed in Ireland, is a much better example of that style of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

When I was getting into trying "different" beers this was a definite favourite and was a bit of a gateway into all Weiss style beers. Haven't had it in ages though, but from what I remember it's still a great beer.

Lidl has had the best offers, and Tesco the very odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

Very nice beer although I prefer it from tap rather than bottle, personal preference. Having tried the metalman alternator I'd have to disagree that its better as personally I found it quite bland

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Belgian wits are one of my fav styles, and Hoegaarden is still one of my favs! It gets a bad rap for some reason, and i have no idea why!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Nice beer, nicer on draught than from bottle. Not an uber amazing beer by any stretch of the imagination but it's widely available not too pricey and tastes good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

source wrote: »
    Nice beer, nicer on draught than from bottle. Not an uber amazing beer by any stretch of the imagination but it's widely available not too pricey and tastes good.

Yep, this is exactly how I feel about hoegaarden also. It was very good value when Lidl had it at €5 for 4 bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It gets a bad rap for some reason, and i have no idea why!

Maybe something to do with quality issues a few years back when they closed down the old brewery and ended up with no supply for a few months while they reverted production back to the old brewery. I assume it is now made in the new production facility (anyone know?)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

I remember when this was first distributed in Cork, every pub had the "pint" glasses that actually held >800ml of beer - good times!

All got stolen eventually, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

nickcave wrote: »
    I remember when this was first distributed in Cork, every pub had the "pint" glasses that actually held >800ml of beer - good times!
    300ml of it being foam!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    300ml of it being foam!! :)

Nope you could be drinking one for quite a while and then notice that it was still above the pint line. Very wide at the top they were.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That's just way too much beer... Especially is that beer is a Belgian wit!

Advertisement