Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for guitar detailing

Options
  • 12-02-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm looking for some advice on routing. I have been making guitars for the past few months and have decided to invest in a router as will save me a lot of heartache!!
    I will be using the router to cut f holes/shapes/patterns etc in ply wood.

Could anyone recommend an appropriate hand held router?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've watched these videos on utube of a guy making a piccolo guitar, he uses a dremil with attachment for sound holes and a router for the cutting for the binding etc. In fairness,I think it's more the bits used and attachments needed that would be important rather than the router. Perhaps check out stewart macdonald or some other Luthier supply before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Thanks lads, have been watching these videos.
    I am making cigar box guitars so am working with ply wood mostly. Stewmac sells one but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience using them for guitar work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes: I second the Bosch as I own one !
    Strictly speaking its a ' laminate trimmer' which spins at an incredible 35000 rpm, comes with a range of attachments and feels balanced. The only downside is the fine height adjustment which is not very good but overall its great value.

Would you recommend this for working with cigar boxes which are made of plywood? It would also be used on some maple guitar necks too.
    Is the higher revs and advantage (never used one before!!)

cheers

• Advertisement

Hi Gafferino,
    yes, the higher revs are an advantage in giving cleaner cuts but most routers will do about 25000 rpm anyway. The Bosch is ideal as its light enough be held with one hand. The base comes off (4 screws ) so you can make your own bases - I have curved bases in mdf for routing curved box sides etc.
    The most important thing about any router is smoothness and the bosch is very good for that. I tend to stick to Makita tools as I find them very well made also but the bosch is fine. I have a small Trend router which feels 'rough' ie not balanced. I'm afraid you get what you pay for but as a router should last a lifetime don't skimp on quality. If you are feeling really flush see the Lamello laminate trimmer which has a unique screw adjustment on the base - and a price to match !

Gafferino, thanks for pm, there's more room on here for a reply.
    I'm afraid there's no way you can 'freehand' rout a complex shape like an ' f ' hole.
    You will need to make a template ( use 6mm mdf and saw/sand until happy )
    Unfortunately, bearing guided cutters only go down to about 6mm - no use for getting into tight corners. You could use very small 1 - 2 mm bits and a guide bush.
    The problem then is that the template need to be larger to compensate for the diameter of the bush. See the 'Trend ' range of bushes etc. If you go down that route you should buy a regular 1/4" collet router to take guide bushes as the laminate trimmers are not designed for this.
    You could still buy the Bosch - it will have other uses - and freehand rout the bulk of the waste and then finish by hand ? For small freehand work I'd invest in some spiral router bits - more expensive but a lot smoother than regular two flue bits.Food for thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

While browsing I came across these and their basically what you need for detailing on a guitar or any instrument your making. Used with a dremil,it's more than enough to get what you need done. That precision base is on my list of must have's, have only seen them in the US before,so defo a bargain when you weigh in shipping and customs.

;) Well, no matter what router you use it will still need a template + /- a guide bush if you want to rout shapes in their entirety. Have a look at the new Makita RTO700CX2 which gives the best of both worlds - laminate trimmer base and a plunge router base for more control. Its about twice the price of the Bosch of course.

thanks lads, appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

As close as you are going to get to freehand. ;)
    Homemade router setup and a steady hand with ....... a bit of experience thrown in for good measure. :D

;) OK , I should eat my words but he has a commercial overhead router jig, a very steady hand and probably lots of failed prototypes. One slip and the piece is ruined. I'd still stick to a template which will ensure both 'f' holes match each other.

Recipio,

"and probably lots of failed prototypes." expensive Kindling.:D ;) :rolleyes:

Take a closer look at the overarm set-up, I think you will agree it could be cobbled together with store bought parts, with the router cradle made in a machine shop. The height adjustment is definitely home-made. ;)

Advertisement