Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Ireland have people living below the poverty line?

• 12-02-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

The official international poverty threshold is $1.25 (about 94c) per day.
    The common international poverty line has in the past been roughly $1 a day. In 2008, the World Bank came out with a revised figure of $1.25 at 2005 purchasing-power parity (PPP)

So are there any poverty stricken folks in our lovely land?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Broads.ie wrote: »
    The official international poverty threshold is $1.25 (about 94c).

Sher anyone getting €8 a week is on the pigs back, aren't they O.P?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Load of bollix.

Poverty depends on your definition and is relative.

And there'd be very few seeing as we have social welfare. Homeless people would be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

If the government see this the dole will be back to 6.58 a week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I can only afford 36 scalding boners a week, does that count?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

in reality no there is not.

in irish peoples twisted distorted view of entitlements, yes wall too wall poverty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's just based on global averages. The poverty line is a lot higher in developed countries. As Sindri said; it's relative. You could live a comfortable life on $20 a week in some parts of the world, while in others you wouldn't last a week.

in irish peoples twisted distorted view of entitlements, yes wall too wall poverty

In an even realer reality, you're talking nonsense

Are you saying no-one is poor because they don't get less than €7 a week?

Just because some international body bases their findings on an average that is weighted by many third world countries where both life and labour are cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

1.25 in the third world, maybe, but I'd like to see someoen feed, clothe and shelter themselves on that in Europe.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

I woke up this morning with about 1.25 in shrapnel in my arse pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

you're all racists!

(im trying to become a typical boards moral crusader)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Ban the dole and set up soup kitchens. People can live off soup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Sindri wrote: »
    Load of bollix.

And there'd be very few seeing as we have social welfare. Homeless people would be it.

...and even they can go to a community welfare officer and get emergency payments while they wait for the dole to reject them for not having a perminant address and then repeat the process. The people who are living on the street are in that situation because they have drug or alchol problems and most shelters wont take them in that state. There is no absolute poverty in Ireland only relative poverty because of our massive wealth imbalance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

...and even they can go to a community welfare officer and get emergency payments while they wait for the dole to reject them for not having a perminant address and then repeat the process. The people who are living on the street are in that situation because they have drug or alchol problems and most shelters wont take them in that state. There is no absolute poverty in Ireland only relative poverty because of our massive wealth imbalance.

Get out more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I can only afford 36 scalding boners a week, does that count?

lol, wat the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

squod wrote: »
    Get out more often.

I stand by what I said, care to enlighten me why im wrong? When was the last time you heard of someone starving to death here? relative poverty on the otherhand is fairly common. It may be miserable but you wont die because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes - e.g. bankrupt people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The poverty line is meaningless as long as it's measured in any currency.
    The buying power of what you have is what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Load of bollix.

homeless folk get the dole also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've really had my prejudices challenged by this, fair play to those who pointed out that the international poverty line is a meaningless average and doesn't apply to Ireland. Really amazing the intellects that are on this site.

amacachi wrote: »
    I've really had my prejudices challenged by this, fair play to those who pointed out that the international poverty line is a meaningless average and doesn't apply to Ireland. Really amazing the intellects that are on this site.

I know! I'm surprised you hadn't thought of it before!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I stand by what I said, care to enlighten me why im wrong? When was the last time you heard of someone starving to death here? relative poverty on the otherhand is fairly common. It may be miserable but you wont die because of it.
    Really, anyone , including Irish Citizens, who fails the Habitual residency Test, is not entitled to ant help, not even from the CWO.
    That also includes people from countries like Romania and Bulgaria who come here looking for work.
    There is some absolute poverty here , however what is far more prevelant is relative and consistant poverty.
    A good source for researching this is the annual EUSILC report published by the CSO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Load of bollix.

you dont need to be homeless to be poor, look at ballymun/tallaght etc 15 years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

If you can't afford a sky sports subscription for the shoebox-sized appartment you bought on the outskirts of Londford in 2007 - you are poor.

Advertisement