Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Dogs/Adoption

• 12-02-2012 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey guys,

I live in a duplex in a residential development. There is no garden attached to my 'house' per se - I have a balcony/patio at the back, but it's not a tiny place. There is a sizeable lawn area in the main development, and parks nearby.

I'd love to get a smallish dog, and would first be curious for any recommendations of breeds etc people have.

I'd love to adopt/rescue ideally, but am worried that I would fail any home inspection on the basis of not having my own private, secure garden. Does anyone know if this would nix any potential adoption, and if I'm therefore basically forced to go another route to get a dog/pup?

Thanks in advance.

S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Lots of people who have apartments have dogs.

Would you consider a Lurcher/greyhound? they make perfect apartment pets (apparently) I dont have one but have only heard great things about these as apartment pets!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    I run a rescue and have no problem rehoming to people in your scenario. An already housetrained, adult dog who's used to living inside would fit the bill. As long as you have the commitment, will get the dog out for one or two good walks a day, can safely get the dog out for toilet breaks, and fulfil the various other requirements most rescues have (such as the dog not being left alone for long hours on a regular basis), the size of the garden, or that it's communal, isn't too big a deal especially for a smaller dog. That goes for many rescues, not just me.
    There are't any conditions of the apartment complex restricting the keeping of pets, are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I wouldn't see a problem you adopting a dog in an apartment. The secure garden thing is for people who have a garden, not necessarily that it's a must. IF you have a garden it is a MUST that it is secure but as others have said if you're prepared to bring the dog out for a wee break in the rain/night time/in pj's :) etc I don't see a problem. Too many people rely on a garden to exercise the dog but dogs really don't exercise themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I wouldn't hold it against you as this is how I live with my dogs, OP. It's not ideal as it creates more work for you with regard to loo breaks, and your dog don't have the luxury of sitting on the step on a sunny day. (We put a puppy pen around the front door on nice days so the dogs can look out or lie on the step, but that mightn't work in a housing/apartment complex.)

I can totally understand why rescues would be slow to rehome to someone in this situation. There's always the greater risk without an enclosed garden that your dog might wander off or get hit by a car. If you're really careful you can make it work though.

The pity is that rescues might turn you down, but if you go to a pound instead, you don't get the same backup as you would from a rescue.

If you see any dog that you'd consider adopting, pop the rescue an email or better still, phone them. Be upfront about your situation and explain how you would manage it. They're more likely to give it thought then. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 for lurcher or greyhound. My OH has one with barely a back yard. She gets two walks a day and spends the rest of the time lounging in her bed or on the couch. They curl up into tiny balls! As they're known for being apartment dogs I don't think you should have issues with rescues, especially breed specific ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i have my girl in a ground floor apartment and it works out fine. because i work a lot from home we can do about 5 miles broken up over the day weather permitting, as well as short toilet breaks. if you're prepared to put the little extra in its not a problem.

a lurcher would be a good choice and (being hugely biased) i'd also recommend a staffie. if you go for a slightly chilled out 2/3 yr old they're happy to lounge on the couch all day as long as they get their exercise.

you should look at info on the restricted breeds list though if you considered a staffie, as there is extra baggage with owning one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Monietooth

Thanks guys, that sounds much more promising than I had been fearing/expecting. I'll have to check the complex rules for no pets, but I know a couple of people in here have dogs, so I'm hoping there's nothing there.

Any more recommendations in terms of breeds beyond the ones mentioned so far? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Monietooth wrote: »

Any more recommendations in terms of breeds beyond the ones mentioned so far? :)

It depends . . . .

- How long at the most would the dog be left alone in the apartment?

- How much and what sort of exercise would the dog get every day?

- Would you prefer a dog that sheds a lot of hair or one that needs professional grooming on a regular basis?

- Would you prefer a dog that is strong willed, or one that is easier to train?

It depends . . . .

- How long at the most would the dog be left alone in the apartment?

- How much and what sort of exercise would the dog get every day?

- Would you prefer a dog that sheds a lot of hair or one that needs professional grooming on a regular basis?

- Would you prefer a dog that is strong willed, or one that is easier to train?
    At the most? A few hours, but both myself and fiancee work from home mostly, so would be around far more than not.

Dog could be easily walked a couple of times a day

I guess the less shedding the better, but I prefer short haired dogs in general, so catch-22 there - probably not a deal-breaker in either direction.

Easier to train I think the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Monietooth wrote: »
    I guess the less shedding the better, but I prefer short haired dogs in general, so catch-22 there - probably not a deal-breaker in either direction.

CKC or a cross of one might be a good compromise on this one, a quick brush every day should mean the hair ends up on the brush more than anywhere else. Lots of potential health problems with pure bred cavs from unknown origin so a cross might be a better option.
    Easier to train I think the better

No terriers for you then ;)

<EDT: shouldn't be difficult to find a cav cross in rescue)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help, I'll start looking at the various rescue places :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

An older dog could also be an option, they're normally quite happy in a smaller space and not likely to be charging around annoying unstairs/downstairs neighbours.

Like others have said, hounds are great, a lot of the bull breeds too are huge big couch potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I have a miniature schnauzer he's a great little house dog loves his walks but is content to just potter around too. They do need companionship so couldnt be left for too long on his own. Also non-shedding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As said above, the restriction on a garden is typically that it must be secure if you have it, not that you need to have a garden.

I've a Staffie in a first-floor duplex.

Advertisement