Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infacol and gripe water

Options
  • 12-02-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We've been using infacol for the last few days and tried gripe water yesterday to give her a break from the infacol. Is this ok to do? We used infacol earlier and then at the last feed used gripe water.

Just want to make sure it's ok!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Is the baby getting up his/her wind with infacol and gripe water? If so, I presume its ok. I personally found these 2 products did nothing for mine. So I switched to Colief, which worked great.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We used both on our Son and didn't do him any harm, he was a very colicy baby..

Afaik the Infacol is nothing more than a emulsion which binds up the bubbles in the baby's belly making it easier to get their wind up.. I don't think there is anything particularly potent in it..

And as for the Gripe Water, didn't it used to contain alcohol but not any more.. I think you can give it in 5ml doses every hour or something but we used to just give it to him on his soother on demand.. it was a life saver for us..

You're probably best to ask the Pharmacist though if you're wary..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

Hi there

Can I ask where you got the Gripe Water? We went to our local chemist to buy some the other day and were told that it's now unavailable to buy in the Republic of Ireland. Got a bit of a surprise but were disappointed all the same!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

PM sent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

Gripe water (the real stuff with the small amount of alcohol in it) is only sold up the north. We have given dd infacol since she was a week old... 5 months now and couldn't find it anywhere the other day was told there was a shortage or something, suffice to say dd projectile vomited the milk across the room because she didn't have her infacol. So imo it does work, well for dd it does. I couldn't live without the stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

There's no alcohol in gripe water anymore regardless of where you buy it. A pharmacists told us that it was taken off the pharmaceutical list or whatever it's called in ROI because of the alcohol content and the manufacturer never applied to have it put back on when the alcohol was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Gripe Water had the alcohol removed back in the 80's I think . or even earlier .

However we have used it over the last few years ( purchased from England ) and it seems to work well , I personally love the smell :-)

On our latest we used cooled weak camomile tea , and that actually seemed to work much better .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Cooled chamomile or fennel tea or a combination of both are very effective for relieving colic and can be made up at home.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Using a second dropper-full of Infacol made all the difference for us after faffing about with colief and gripe water and many gymnastic manoeuvers. :D

Advertisement