Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Get the 64bit Windows, 32bit only supports up to 3.5gb of ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Eboggles wrote: »
    Get the 64bit Windows, 32bit only supports up to 3.5gb of ram.
    I'm going to download an English 64bit Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft and install it. I've just included that as it's cheaper than the English version and the licence key works across languages and bit versions. Thanks for the reply though :)

On that note, I haven't given Windows much thought. Apart from software4students does anyone know where Windows 7 might be bought cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Buying two of these instead would save you about €8.

This is also a cheaper monitor by about €12, and is 19x10, which would probably be better for video editing.

You may/may not also want to consider the Alpha case. It has space for two extra fans up top, and might give a little more ventilation.

Don't think you could do it for much cheaper than that.

Edit: You could also get Win7 from Software4Students, if you don't mind installing Windows twice. That would save you another €35 on top of the €20 above.

RAM suggestion, thanks :D

For the monitor, I'm trying to get speakers built-in to keep things tidy. Audio quality won't be an issue.
    Would this monitor be okay?
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=54683&agid=293

Ah, I see. Couldn't tell ya, to be honest. From the specs it looks fine, but obviously that's not a lot to go on.

• Advertisement

So I finally got the go ahead for this (yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahy first PC build, can't wait :D) I was just wondering would the Antec BasiQ VP350 be a better PSU for the build?

There will rarely be a full load put on the machine, the only time is when a video is being rendered but that's it, nothing more! Using a PSU calc I get a 271W max so I'm assuming the Antec would be perfect.

So, got all the bits and stuck it altogether. With great hope and excitement I pressed the power button for the first time and she boots up, fans kick in, lights switch on and no beeps :)

So stick in a DVI cable to get started on the installation but guess what .... no video :(
    I have troubleshooted my way through as much as I could and finally got the video to come through.
    For some reason the video won't work when there is more than 2 sticks of RAM installed in the motherboard.
    The board I got is the one I posted above and the RAM is as suggested by Serep, 2 packs of 2x4GB.
    I have tested each DIMM individually and tested each slot individually and all work fine, it even works when I have 2 sticks in.

I have never seen an issue like this before, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might get it to work with all 4 DIMMs???

After a bit of googling it seems the H61 chipset only supports either 2 Double sided modules or 4 single sided modules, arghhh!

Other than that it's all good, thanks for the help people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

didn't know that. im sure we've speced h61 rigs before with 8gb of RAM and not heard of problems?

Most-definitely. Maybe try increasing memory controller voltage? Does the thing POST at all or what?

• Advertisement

Yeah it works perfectly when there is only two modules connected, so I already have Windows installed and all that craic.

I've read on another forum that the H61 chipset only has 4 memory banks so if your using 2 Double sided modules then all the banks are being used up. When I install the 4 DIMMs I get no video and the PC keeps rebooting. I've seen users post on newegg having the same issue and (probably should have said this one first) it's on the ASRock website :(

Atm there is 8GB of RAM installed and it would work fine if I can somehow get hwvs to send me 2x8GB. I've tried updating the chipset and the BIOS but to know avail :( So a happier note, the BIOS looks way cooler after an update :P

EDIT: I have tried leaving all the RAM options on Auto, tried pushing the DRAM voltage from it's stock 1.575 to 1.590, 1.620 and 1.545.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Advertisement