Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull hot air to room above stove?

• 12-02-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

Hey, I have a Stanley oisin installed in my living room, the living room has low ceilings and is very easy to heat. Above the living room is the master bedroom, I use an electric heater when needed. I lived in the USA for years and there was vents/ducts used above heated rooms to pull the hot air from the lower room to the upstairs room.
    From what I have read, I understand that it needs to be passive, two vents, one to pull up the hot air and one to return the cold air.
    I have also heard about 'fans' called registers which speed up the process-http://www.aftproducts.com/Airflow-Technology-Testimonials_.html

Here is a link to a very simple solution-
    Heat your upstairs by cutting holes in the floor! M

fastonline.org/.../...

I don't know where to source decent vent covers or 'register' fans in Ireland, anyone ever do anything similar or know where I can get the materials? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I can see one major drawback with sucking air up from rooms below and that is fire safety.
    a) Carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and would be easily drawn up into the bedroom where is could collect.
    b) If a fire did break out below other toxic fumes and gases would rise to the downstairs ceiling and into your bedroom. The ceiling vents could also significantly reduce the fire-resistance of the bedroom floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Most of the houses out here have vents on the ground floor ceilings. Very effective. We have two ....... one in the stove room and one in the sitting room. Half an hour before retiring you open them. At the moment it's -12C outside plus wind chill and inside it's 24C. Very easy to install

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Model Mechanix

Hey, I have a Stanley oisin installed in my living room, the living room has low ceilings and is very easy to heat. Above the living room is the master bedroom, I use an electric heater when needed. I lived in the USA for years and there was vents/ducts used above heated rooms to pull the hot air from the lower room to the upstairs room.
    From what I have read, I understand that it needs to be passive, two vents, one to pull up the hot air and one to return the cold air.
    I have also heard about 'fans' called registers which speed up the process-http://www.aftproducts.com/Airflow-Technology-Testimonials_.html

Here is a link to a very simple solution-
    Heat your upstairs by cutting holes in the floor! M

fastonline.org/.../...

I don't know where to source decent vent covers or 'register' fans in Ireland, anyone ever do anything similar or know where I can get the materials? Thanks in advance.

Hi, did you ever find a source for the register boot/plate and fans? I am looking to do the exact same thing and can't seem to find much this side of the pond. From my several spells in the states and Canada, I can remember this system was very much the norm so quite surprised that there is not much know localy about it here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I left an open space in the corner of my living room ceiling, I had to box it out for the fusebox anyway, so when I was putting the cover on it, I decided to have it removable, I did temporarily have some holes cut , the heat was definitely a big benefit, even without the fan, I cut the holes in the center of the room, not right above the stove.
    You could use a bathroom fan to draw the hot air up, if you were using a fan. My local hardware store has Brass covered vents that can be opened and closed pretty easy. IMO, it really s an awful waste to leave the heat in the living room go to waste when you go to bed and then you have to turn on the heating for the bedroom.

Advertisement