Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does your hair ever do that weird Princess Diana thing?

• 13-02-2012 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I think most men who suffer with this condition will know what I'm talking about.

When I let my hair grow as long as it is now, I develop this really strange whorl, or ruffle, thing at the front and side of my hair, where it should naturally part. This is why I cannot grow my hair very long. I find it rather disconcerting when I walk past my reflection in a shop window and think I have just seen the Princess of Wales looking back at me from beyond the grave.

I am getting too old to be cutting my hair down to the scalp, and I hate putting products in my hair.

Have any other guys found themselves in this fix?

I have developed a paranoia about it frankly. I have to go to work in the morning, and I can't even walk into the breeze without worrying that my hair looks like this

fu2vqd.png

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I get something like that if I'm lucky. Otherwise it's a frizzy afro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

That sounds like a cow lick, and unfortunately there's no real solution other than hair product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yes I do have a bit of a cow's lick. Do you know of anything to use that doesn't look really artificial? Whenever I've used clay or wax in the past, my hair looks weirdly gunky and artificial, I almost prefer the whorl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Once you have been licked by a cow there's no cure unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I learned to embrace it and transform it into a mighty quiff.

• Advertisement

a cowslick? i have one - it was a pain in the backside when i kept my hair short
    nothing that can be done unfortunately

it's usually lefties who have them :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You still have hair? :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

bluewolf wrote: »
    a cowslick? i have one - it was a pain in the backside when i kept my hair short
    nothing that can be done unfortunately

it's usually lefties who have them :cool:

I am a leftie!

Not in an Occupy Dame Street fashion, of course.

So now adding this horrific whorle to my lefthandedness, this is two incurable conditions I've got

Bad day for later10 :(

Amar J. Klar conducted research to see if there was a genetic link between handedness and hair-whorl direction. He found that 8.4% of right handed people and 45% of left handed people have counterclockwise hair-whorls. His research indicates that a single gene may control both handedness and hair-whorl direction.[1]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_whorl

i am a leftie too, we're the cool people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I was born a leftie, but thanks to the intervention of nuns I became a rightie. Seems I have not reaped the full benifits of said intervention. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Thoie wrote: »
    That sounds like a cow lick, and unfortunately there's no real solution other than hair product.

I used to have one at the back of my head just above my neck. I had it shaved off and the hair grew back normally.

py2006 wrote: »
    I used to have one at the back of my head just above my neck. I had it shaved off and the hair grew back normally.
    I've carried this burden this all my life, despite having shaved my head down to almost nothing. It only happens when my hair is long; so even though I always wanted medium long hair, I've never been able to grow it with this whorl.

I'm seriously thinking of ending it all tonight guys -- I'm going to take a razor to my own hair!!!!!!! I just can't cope with this cowlick/whorl thing anymore:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Cookies.

I'm a lefty and have a cows lick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

later10 wrote: »
    I've carried this burden this all my life, despite having shaved my head down to almost nothing. It only happens when my hair is long; so even though I always wanted medium long hair, I've never been able to grow it with this whorl.

I'm seriously thinking of ending it all tonight guys -- I'm going to take a razor to my own hair!!!!!!! I just can't cope with this cowlick/whorl thing anymore:pac:

Try a bit of gel on it. Not Brylcreem but some of that putty/paste stuff you see everywhere. It might help.

I've got a double cows lick. You should have seen my hair when I was younger, it was ridiculous. I looked like a vampire with my fringe coming together like a V.

It has gotten better over the years, but only because I put gel in my hair, which I've done every day pretty much for the last 6/7 years. I looked like a right eejit back before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Would you consider using a hair straightener on it? I know it's a bit metro but it could be a solution. I'm going through the difficult transition from medium lenght to long at the moment and find I have to use the straightener after I wash it to stave off the dreaded whurl look.

I haz shaved.

I took one of those clipper jobbies to it tonight. I look like a convict right now. Badly. But I'd rather look like a criminal than like Princess Di. (Hot stuff that she was)

I might try the straightener thing in future, but generally i don't like my hair to be ridiculously straight. I like there to be a little shape in it.

I know, I'm a difficult man :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

LT something that adds weight to your hair would help calm it, something like a good straightening serum.
    It's also possible to train your hair, Ive done it with a cowslick too- spend about five consecutive nights with it clipped/glued in the direction you want it to go and it should eventually settle. If you wash it beforehand and let it dry while clipped down it's even better.
    Just don't get caught, it's not the most attractive look :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I have a similar issue with mine. You just need to go long enough that you can throw it back :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You need to embrace the hair products man, one you find one that works for you then they're as essential as food!! :)

Here's me without hair product.

blagojevich-2.jpg

Here's me with hair product.

darkknight1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Yes I do have a bit of a cow's lick. Do you know of anything to use that doesn't look really artificial? Whenever I've used clay or wax in the past, my hair looks weirdly gunky and artificial, I almost prefer the whorl.
    theres are really good hair gel that doesnt give that yuckie muck feeling. fish elastic hair gel its called but dont worry, it doesnt smell like fish:D

• Advertisement

You need to embrace the hair products man, one you find one that works for you then they're as essential as food!! :)
    booboo88 wrote: »
    theres are really good hair gel that doesnt give that yuckie muck feeling. fish elastic hair gel its called but dont worry, it doesnt smell like fish:D
    I think I've had one of the Fish ones booboo, the best I tried was one of those (V05?) ones, with the union jack on the front? I think it was like a gum more than a putty, it used to work pretty well but I used to be self conscious that my hair felt sticky or weird to girls. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys, I will give them another try as soon as this bloody thing grows back
    Sauve wrote: »
    LT something that adds weight to your hair would help calm it, something like a good straightening serum.
    It's also possible to train your hair, Ive done it with a cowslick too- spend about five consecutive nights with it clipped/glued in the direction you want it to go and it should eventually settle. If you wash it beforehand and let it dry while clipped down it's even better.
    Just don't get caught, it's not the most attractive look :pac:
    I am intrugued, but I don't know that you're not just playing a cruel trick on me to get me to glue my hair:pac:

Do you mean glue it with the serum, or....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I am intrugued, but I don't know that you're not just playing a cruel trick on me to get me to glue my hair:pac:

No tricks here, you're safe ;)
    I didn't literally mean glue it, just load gel or serum or whatever into it to get it to stay in place for the few nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I think I've had one of the Fish ones booboo, the best I tried was one of those (V05?) ones, with the union jack on the front? I think it was like a gum more than a putty, it used to work pretty well but I used to be self conscious that my hair felt sticky or weird to girls. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys, I will give them another try as soon as this bloody thing grows back

try the elastic gel(i think thats what its called) has a lully smell and no yuckie feeling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I'm probably going to lose a million cool points here for posting this but the OP reminded me of this exchange on 'Friends':

Chandler: I can blow dry it. I can put gel on it. It doesn't matter, I still wind up with this little cowlicky thing on the middle part of my head. It's so annoying. Does it bug you?

Ross: YOU bug me.

:D:o

Advertisement