Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Txt Spk Tkn Ovr

• 13-02-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Yes - Text speak taking over!!!

I'm in the middle of arranging my a party for my mum's 60th, and I've been getting in touch with her friends through Facebook and asking them to text me about ideas, etc.

Every single person I've been in touch with is in their late 40s to middle 60s, and every one of them has texted me back in txt spk.

I thought that txt spk was a younger generation's game but, clearly, the kids have been passing on their bad habits to their parents. It was a bit of a shock to get a text saying: "Nce 2 hr fm u. Wl cl bk @ 8 from my mum's 62 year old friend.

Um - wtf? Rgn!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Junior Jacon Jeese Jurger

I choose not to reply to people who text
    like that. But if I have to I write it in text speak, then remove the vowels. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

'What you at tonight?'
    becomes
    'wat you at tonite?'
    which then becomes
    'wt y t tnt?'

They text properly the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I'd actually be quite vocal as in "any chance of spelling your words properly"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

/ cnt fnd fwd \

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

I think we should cleanse the population of anyone who uses text speak. It would be a service to future non-text speak generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

my mother does that, its very odd and embaressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I feckin hate text speak. A few words I can deal with, like u, 2, 4, txt, wud; but after that I just refuse to even contemplate comprehending it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I find if someone is texting me in txt spk and i respond with full words, they will gradually stop text speaking. I know a few people who will write messages to me correctly, but text speak everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Fúck off Text Speak :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I would completely be in agreement with ignoring people (ppl?) who write in txt spk, but I can't take offense with these guys. I'm assuming that their kids have taught them to write this way and they assume it's the right thing to do. The kids are to blame for sure. Damn kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

The only time text speak is acceptable is when texting on a mobile phone.
    I prefer people to type the full words at all other times.
    I really hate when people use text speak on Facebook or in emails.

• Advertisement

John Doe1 wrote: »
    my mother does that, its very odd and embaressing

My mum used to do the same until I told her how shameful it is. I also told her to turn off the darn keypad tones! She owes me now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I love it. I'm rewriting The Lord of the Rings in txt spk at the moment. Frdo n Sm r l8 4 t mitin w Gndlf!!1

1 dsnt wlk in2 Mdr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

If someone texts me in that hideous "language" I reply "I'm never going to reply to any of your texts unless you start spelling correctly. Learn to spell or we're through". Usually they start to make their sentences a bit more coherent after that so I guess it's a small victory.

Unless it's an old person, because goddammit that's adorable.

Or someone that's dyslexic because that can't be helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

My 77 year old dad always texts with txt spk.
    I haven't a clue what he means,most of the time.:o

When I show him the message ,sometimes he can explain-other times he can't make it out himself!

Fago! wrote: »
    If someone texts me in that hideous "language" I reply "I'm never going to reply to any of your texts unless you start spelling correctly. Learn to spell or we're through". Usually they start to make their sentences a bit more coherent after that so I guess it's a small victory.

Unless it's an old person, because goddammit that's adorable.

Or someone that's dyslexic because that can't be helped.

Wt counts as old?

Tw counts as dyslexic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

xoxyx wrote: »
    Yes - Text speak taking over!!!

I'm in the middle of arranging my a party for my mum's 60th, and I've been getting in touch with her friends through Facebook and asking them to text me about ideas, etc.

Every single person I've been in touch with is in their late 40s to middle 60s, and every one of them has texted me back in txt spk.

I thought that txt spk was a younger generation's game but, clearly, the kids have been passing on their bad habits to their parents. It was a bit of a shock to get a text saying: "Nce 2 hr fm u. Wl cl bk @ 8 from my mum's 62 year old friend.

Um - wtf? Rgn!

Text back to say "sorry - your message came through all garbled as random characters and made no sense - can you get back to me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

xoxyx wrote: »
    Wt counts as old?

Tw counts as dyslexic?

Tihs cunts as dislecksick! and old enough that they remember 1970.

Nah like if I know it's someone that has dyslexia I'll just try to decipher what's being said.

Advertisement