Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dougal's doing a funeral? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It's fine for you and I to say that we never found Dermot Morgan controversial but alot of people in Ireland did. The Joe Duffy/Late Late Show/church-going brigade didn't like him because he said things you're not supposed to say and offended the establishment. His slagging of the church wouldn't have gone down well with alot of people. Things have changed quite a bit since then. We forget that it's nearly 20 years ago now since he was doing that stuff.

Yep, the odd few would remember Scrap Saturday on RTE Radio, the brilliant scits on Haughey, Flynn etc. Didn't last too long. Hell I can remember Fr. Trendy and that is over 30 years ago!

Had the pleasure to see him live about 1995 trying new stuff totally off the cuff, he wasn't scheduled to be on the comedy show. A young Eddie Izzard was the main star IIRC.

Served him a few drinks a couple of times back in the day, very quiet and polite and seemed a gentleman.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Christmas eve the young' fella spotted Graham Linehan in M&S an we told him he was a legend, which was nice. Kinda made christmas, we are big fans.
    Love Henry Sellers!
    " Sack ME? Sack ME? I MADE the BBC! "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

It really is terrific. Stands the test of time so well. There's so many good episodes.

It was good, but its not timeless. It was a satire of Irish life in the mid nineties. With the destruction of the churches reputation in the last 5 years, I doubt many teenagers would "get it" today.

Complete over-analysis, I'm 17 and I don't know of one person who doesn't like it, and I know many who absolutely love it.

"It's Ireland's biggest lingerie department so I've heard."

Edit: just saw baz2009's post there - aren't I original.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kfallon wrote: »
    Lady 1: Oh, we saw a great one a few weeks ago, The Crying Game.
    Lady 2: Oh it was brilliant
    Lady 1: Oh there was this great bit in it there was this girl, and then you find out it's not a girl but a man
    Lady 2: 'Cause he got his lad out

Billy's is rounder at the top.
    Johner wrote: »

Get them feckin crunchies out of the car. :D

You've a face like a pair of tits!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

"Lots of young fellas running around in shorts,thats what your watching,your sitting there with a bigggg smile of on your face....ya dirty fecker!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Johner wrote: »

Get them feckin crunchies out of the car. :D

hahaha "are you going to stand there all day ye fat aul bitch!"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

"Lots of young fellas running around in shorts,thats what your watching,your sitting there with a bigggg smile of on your face....ya dirty fecker!!"

Brendan Grace was brilliant in that, always thought he was over rated, but brilliant in that.

Father Todd Unctious:

The best part was his confession, great scit of American detective shows. The part of him robbing the other priest, who he met in a smokey bar, and robbing the priest clothes.

Ted: "But you are a priest, why did you rob his clothes?"

Unctious: "Ah, it just felt right".

Played by Gerrard McSorley, damn good actor.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The finest boilers in the world, and I include Canada in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

Bunch of cowboys Ted!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Do you remember the Drumshambo massacre?

That was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It has claws as big as cups, It has four ears, two for listening and two are sort of back-up ears. Some might be on the inside of its head, It has a retractable leg so it can leap up at you better. It has magnets on its tail, so if you're made out of metal, it can attach itself to you. It lights up at night. It has a tremendous fear of stamps. Its yawn sounds like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around inside a barrel. It has no mouth, but instead has four arses.
    It only has eyebrows on Saturdays.

Michael Noonan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Scruffles wrote: »
    father ted is how catholicism shoud have been

A load of strangers tellin ye their sins, sure who`d be bothered with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

robbie7730 wrote: »

It's no more peculiar than that stuff we learned in the seminary, y'know, heaven and hell and everlasting life. You're not meant to take it seriously.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yPWyFZEdY0s/SMU2QSJ8QlI/AAAAAAAAE1I/H3A3h7WGGrI/s400/funland.jpg

Father Ted has a couple of good moments. Pretty mediocre.

If you ever say that to me again, i`ll put your head through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Just remembered the episode where Jack "died" and came back to life as Ted was giving his deep, emotional speech and scared the shite out of him :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I've no willy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He's sent the goalkeeper the wrong way :cool:

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Just remembered the episode where Jack "died" and came back to life as Ted was giving his deep, emotional speech and scared the shite out of him :D

Ted:
    It's beginning to snow again. The flakes, silver and dark, are falling obliquely against the lamplight. It's probably snowing all over the island. On the central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the graveyards, upon the crosses and the headstones. Upon all the living, and the dead

Jack, upon rising from death:
    Shut to feck up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ted:
    It's beginning to snow again. The flakes, silver and dark, are falling obliquely against the lamplight. It's probably snowing all over the island. On the central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the graveyards, upon the crosses and the headstones. Upon all the living, and the dead

Jack, upon rising from death:
    Shut to feck up

Ted, Ted! What happened Ted?! Father Jack, did you see what happened? Ted? What happened Father Jack?! I..Oooooooooooooo. /faints :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It's no more peculiar than that stuff we learned in the seminary, y'know, heaven and hell and everlasting life. You're not meant to take it seriously.

Everlasting life, big demons sticking red-hot pokers up your arse for all eternity? I don’t think so. The whole religion thing, I just don’t buy it.

But that’s the great thing about Catholicism. It’s so vague and nobody really knows what it’s all about.

Now Dougal, these Bishops are very important. I’ll stay around you all the time just in case, so you don’t say anything to them that you’re not supposed to say.
    Like what you said to Bishop Lindsay, when he asked me where I was when Kennedy was shot. You overreacted slightly there. He wasn’t accusing me of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I've no willy

The Germans shot me in the willy.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, i`ve never seen a clock at 5am before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Father Ted has a couple of good moments. Pretty mediocre.

-snip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Chavways wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI&ob=av3e

Anyone remember the episode with that song?

Classic.

And also the episode with the caravan was shot in Fanore in Co.Clare. There's no trace of it down there though.Not even a sign where the caravan was.A shame realy.

Was that the one with the car raffle, and the terrible D.J?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

"How's your bra?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

K-9 wrote: »
    I love the "down with this type of thing" but more for the start and the Central American priest visiting.

Bit of a Romeo and constant references to sex and presenting them with "these humble, simple presents". Then he drives of in a Porsche! The voiceover interpreting him is class, very clever.

The whistle test is very good, probably the most even episode, just comedy gold throughout.

Theft K. But, apart from that, your critique seems sound.:)

Comedy gold.

Aaah. The "mot juste".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

It was good, but its not timeless. It was a satire of Irish life in the mid nineties. With the destruction of the churches reputation in the last 5 years, I doubt many teenagers would "get it" today.

"Look Dougal. These cows are small. Those cows are far away."

"Small ... and far away"

"No. I'm sorry Ted."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Father Hank Tree.
    Father Hiroshima Twinkie.
    Father Stig Bubblecard.
    Father Johnny Helzapoppin.
    Father Luke Duke.
    Father Billy Furley.
    Father Chewy Louie.