Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted

Options

Comments

Collie D wrote: »
    Surely that can't be real? A third series that was never aired? :eek:
    That looks like a special made to advertise the return of Fr Ted to the telly!

But it appears to be digitally assembled, chances are it was made after Dermot's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That looks like a special made to advertise the return of Fr Ted to the telly!

But it appears to be digitally assembled, chances are it was made after Dermot's death.

Nope. Was just a quick sketch for advertising series 3 they filmed. Definitely aired before he died

"Im sure we'll see Jack in the next life"
    "Oh yeah......sure...." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nope. Was just a quick sketch for advertising series 3 they filmed. Definitely aired before he died

I'll have to put my cynical hat on here. If a third series was made I'm sure it would have surfaced long before now

Collie D wrote: »
    I'll have to put my cynical hat on here. If a third series was made I'm sure it would have surfaced long before now

Series 3 was the 1 with Speed 3 and kicking bishop brennan up the arse. :confused:
    Do you really not know there were 3 series :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Series 3 was the 1 with Speed 3 and kicking bishop brennan up the arse. :confused:
    Do you really not know there were 3 series :eek:

My bad...must have seen every episode a dozen times and never counted the numer of seasons. I thought the trailer was for more episodes after Dermot's death. Slap on the wrist for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

"Priest's socks are black, don't be fooled by those cheap imitations that are really very very very very dark blue!"

They'll shaft you every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

Fortune Teller: You must cross my palms with silver
    Father Ted: I actually don't carry huge bags of it around
    Fortune Teller: Just gimme a pound

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

One of the best comedies every made, love it! I can keep coming back to this, and to Mr. Bean.

Favourite episode? Honestly cannot choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

my favourite episode is the eurovision one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

"Ya hear she's going to write a bloody book about it!"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

'who iz this, there is no Crilly 'ere'

antodeco wrote: »
    'who iz this, there is no Crilly 'ere'

Ah Bishop Brennan. I think you got the wrong number when you called just there :pac:

"And Crilly....if you ever try to bullsh!t me like that again...I will rip off your arms..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was very controversial at the time of its release though.
    Nah, they pushing against an open door when it came to ripping the piss out of the clergy. Granted, I did have a couple of relatives who took offense, and quite a few more who just didn't get the surrealism of it.

Always thought that, at base level, it's a warm-hearted, affectionate look at Ireland and the priesthood, as opposed to a horrible mean-spirited bunch of post colonial inferiority complex based self loathing like say, The Savage Eye. And genuinely laugh out loud funny. As opposed to, say, The Savage Eye. That we may see their likes again.

As for favourite episodes, gotta be The Mainland ... kinda an obvious choice, but perfect on every level. Performance of a lifetime from Graham Norton, Mrs. Doyle and Mrs. Dineen in the tea shop, feckin' burds, feckarse industries.

I also liked the English Patient, very confusing and far-fetched and very, very boring ... it was my kind of film. I like The Piano as well. Did you see Harvey Keitel running around in the nip?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

"where's Tony Lynch off to?? Probably to get some heroin!"

"I hear you're a racist now father!"

"Father, Pat wants to know if he can put his massive tool in my box!"

"ye're like a bunch of camels!"

"who's a bit of a moooooaning Michael tonight!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

'Tony Lynch, crawled into bed at 10 past the eleven' Gets less funnier everytime but when I first heard this it just had me in stitches, somethin about it was just so funny. Think it was your man who played tony lynch, looked like such a square haha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

benway wrote: »
    Did you see Harvey Keitel running around in the nip?
    Dougal, don't be stupid, how could a rabbit look like Harvey Kei... Oh God! he's the spitting image!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Father Ted: Did you bring the travel scrabble Dougal?
    Father Dougal: I brought the normal scrabble and the travel scrabble, Ted. The travel scrabble for when we were traveling, and the normal scrabble for when we arrived!
    Father Ted: Good man!
    Father Dougal: Ah, no, wait a minute... now that I think of it I didn't bring either of them! God , I'm an awful eejit!

Mrs. Doyle: There's always time for a nice cup of tea. Sure, didn't the Lord himself pause for a nice cup of tea before giving himself up for the world.
    Father Ted Crilly: No, he didn't, Mrs Doyle!
    Mrs. Doyle: Well, whatever the equivalent they had for tea in those days, cake or something. And speaking of cake, I have cake!
    [She holds up a cupcake]
    Father Ted Crilly: No, thanks, Mrs. Doyle.
    Mrs. Doyle: Are you sure, Father? There's cocaine in it!
    Father Ted Crilly: WHAT?
    Mrs. Doyle: Oh, no, not cocaine. God, what am I on about? No, what d'you call them. Raisins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

"God Ted, do you remember that fella that was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?"

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Anything with Bishop Brennan is hysterical. Probably the funniest TV character ever.

"CRILLLLEEEEEE!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Suas11 wrote: »
    "God Ted, do you remember that fella that was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?"

Ted: This is Father Buzz Cagney. He's here on a short visit. He's from America.

Dougal: America, eh? We were just talking about that fella Kurt Cobain. He was from America. Imagine blowing your head off with a shot gun. How`d he manage to survive that?

Ted: He didn't, Dougal,, he died.

Dougal: Oh right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

DOUGAL: I think...I think...I think I have a lyric!

TED: Right, lyric, go ahead there Dougal.

DOUGAL: What's it called again?

TED: "My Lovely Horse."

DOUGAL: Right. How about this: "My lovely horse, I want to hold you so tight, I want to rub my fingers through your tail and love you all night."

TED: Dougal, Dougal, Dougal, stop there. We want to keep out of the whole area of actually being in love with the horse.

DOUGAL: Oh right, right.

TED: It's more that we're friends with the horse, that we want to jump around with it and, you know, just have a good laugh with it.

DOUGAL: Right. What about something like, eh, "Take this lump of sugar baby, you know you want it"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Laughing away here at all these quotes. Father Ted is just classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ted hammered drunk after kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse always makes me smile :)

edit found it :D @ 3.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIjXU7baSc
    Random Quote

Bishop Brennan: You will address me by my proper title, you little bollocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Anything with Bishop Brennan is hysterical. Probably the funniest TV character ever.

"CRILLLLEEEEEE!!!!"

Yea he was great in it that fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Ted: Well, we'll have to do it in shifts; get them out of the house and as far away as possible.
    Dougal: Why can't we just leave them here?
    Ted: Because, Dougal, my nerves are shot and I won't be able to relax until the only rabbit left is the one sitting in your head working the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

It's impossible to pin down a single episode to define such a brilliantly incisive comedy series. It had parochial Ireland down to a tee. I'd say the 2 most perfect examples of where they got it exactly right were the christian youth group. I was actually foistered into one of these when i was younger and it's exactly as boring as they make it look. By far the best part of the whole series is John and Mary, a perfect image of the typical irish married couple who hated each other but were too afraid to break up because of the church.

This quote, from the funfair episode (which was pure brilliant) stands out for perfect timing:

Mary: T*tface! You've a face like a pair of t*ts!
    John: Well, at least that's one pair between us!

The later episodes had more jokes in them but seemed to lose that edge of lampooning something ridiculous about us as a country.

Fr Jack upon seeing nuns after being wheeled into the living room,
    AAAARGHHH! NUNS!
    REVERSE!
    REVERSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

The Beast / Sheep episode on now on RTE2.

Forgot about the sound effects at the start :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Instead of a mouth, it's got four arses. :D

Advertisement