Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hiking trips in sydney

Options
  • 13-02-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hey there, I'm going to Sydney in march for a couple of wks but will hopefully be moving there later in the year. I'd love to do some hiking perhaps in the Blue mountains when I'm there -my friends aren't really the hiking type so would love to join some organized hikes so I don't end up going on my own and getting lost somewhere! :D
    I'm not into anything major just some short (4hrs or so) walks to take in the scenery...Anyone know of any good groups to join - or indeed anyone want to start a new one???
    I'll be there from 9th to 21st....just putting it out there....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Hey,

I've been up to the Blue Mountains and they are spectacular - they made my trip to Sydney. And for a day or two anyway I think you could do it alone without too much worry. I got the train to Katoomba, walked up to the main three sisters lookout and popped into the tourist info spot where I asked them about a walk of around 4/5 hours and they sold us a cheap cheap $3 ish guide and advised us on a couple of good routes.

We went around the edge of the mountain, then down many flights of huge stairs into the valley, through the valley, past the three sisters from below and then on to the cable car that took us back to the top - there was also a 1000 step staircase out that we were considering except it was 36 degrees that day...

It was a nice, off the beaten main sisters lets just take photos of the view and then go back home after a ride on the cable car, walk but there were enough people on the same path that you never felt unsafe or isolated if something happened. At the same time you except for the beginning lookout, and cable car we never felt crowded or near people.

I'd definitely feel comfy doing the same thing again alone - but it's nice walking with people too, just thought a first hand experience of it all if you can't find the right walking group would be good! Give me a shout if you have questions, happy holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Advertisement