Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trolls

• 13-02-2012 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

what's the story with them?

why do you think people troll online? also, if you're trolling do you basically have no life?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Trolling can be gat fun if its done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

How do you kill that, which has no life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Most people aren't trolls, they just get called that because they have a different opinion. Pathetic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Leeg17 wrote: »
    How do you kill that, which has no life?
    Kill it with fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

I kinda hate the way the word "troll" is used.
    In the real world, 'shit stirers' is more common :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ur sh/it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

lop off the head usually, nevermind the tricky stick throught he heart business

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Daylight explodes them or calcifies their bones. Kind of an appropriate term for basement-dwelling begrudgers, then, when you think about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

A troll is a troll..is a troll.is a ****in trol

Thas it !

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

it's not just about having a different opinion than some people, though.

plenty come online just to start shit. if you're sitting at a computer trying to wind people up every day, you have to be a bit weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

VagnerLove wrote: »
    if you're trolling do you basically have no life?

Well you live under a bridge and try to attack anyone who walks over your bridge....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Bring back the Billy Goats Gruff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They are mostly attention whores and too chicken to say the stuff they do in real life. To real people. People with knives and fists and things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Those things from Lord of the Rings? I doubt very much they can use computers....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

Gandalph wrote: »
    Those things from Lord of the Rings? I doubt very much they can use computers....

username+post combo. nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm a troll.

Problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Most people aren't trolls, they just get called that because they have a different opinion. Pathetic
    Disagree. Most of the time, when people are accused of trolling, it's not simply because they have a contrarian opinion, it's because they post something so unbelievable and obnoxious and with no attempt to support it, and then they get abusive when challenged, so people assume they could only be trolling. A lot of the time "I'm a troll because I disagree with you?" is the stock line used to justify being a dick.
    I'm not saying there aren't instances of people making "troll" accusations merely in relation to something they don't like or don't agree with, no matter how well-thought-out and supported it is, but it's rare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I've been called a troll just because I disagreed with people on this very forum.
    I'm not, as Silverfish has said to me personally, "You don't appear to be trolling". (Silverfish is an admin with a lot of respect)
    Calling someone a troll on an internet is the most offensive thing you can really. It's like saying that person doesn't exist. People throw the word around way too often without understanding the meaning and history of the word. I actually think people who call other people trolls should be perma banned. It's far to easy to dismiss someones points. Look at KeithAFC. The guy was once a reputable poster but now everyone just sees the guy as a complete joke. It all started by people calling him a "troll".
    People should be 100% sure before they go around making accusations like that. It can destroy a users life. (Online persona I'm talking about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I sneak up behind you in the armchair, I jab you with my ring you turn into a fücking banana and ivy consumes you. ergo I am a troll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've been called a troll just because I disagreed with people on this very forum.
    I'm not, as Silverfish has said to me personally, "You don't appear to be trolling". (Silverfish is an admin with a lot of respect)
    Calling someone a troll on an internet is the most offensive thing you can really. It's like saying that person doesn't exist. People throw the word around way too often without understanding the meaning and history of the word. I actually think people who call other people trolls should be perma banned. It's far to easy to dismiss someones points. Look at KeithAFC. The guy was once a reputable poster but now everyone just sees the guy as a complete joke. It all started by people calling him a "troll".
    People should be 100% sure before they go around making accusations like that. It can destroy a users life. (Online persona I'm talking about).
    Oh come on now - people base their view on KeithAFC purely because of what he posts, which is out-and-out sh1t-stirring and sometimes even quite offensive. That was always how he posted, before anyone called him a troll - and did so based on what he writes. And I emphasise writes, as opposed to background.

Sorry about your experience, but I wouldn't get too concerned about the poor little fanatical, bigoted bullies around here who get called trolls. The vast majority of the time, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck etc. "Troll" doesn't just mean sh1t-stirring here either, it can mean low-level harassment, which is certainly a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh come on now - people base their view on KeithAFC purely because of what he posts, which is out-and-out sh1t-stirring and sometimes even quite offensive. That was always how he posted, before anyone called him a troll - and did so based on what he writes. And I emphasise writes, as opposed to background.

In defence of Keith, he's not trolling. His views, apart from those on religion, and how he expresses them are utterly typical of his community at large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Trolling is when you adopt a completely different persona and post messages which are completely intended only to make people rage. A troll does not believe the things they say. It's ridiculous the number of people who do not understand what a troll is, but use the term every time someone makes them angry regardless.

Trolling, when done well, can be pretty funny. It highlights just how seriously people can take the internet, and I find it quite entertaining for someone to go to such great lengths to defend their opinion when the sole intention of the person they're talking to, is to make them angry. I've seen people become furious and abusive when being trolled, and it's pretty funny to see someone become aggressive over an absolutely pointless internet debate.

I think it's the people who allow themselves to get trolled who are to blame. You get trolled - you are sitting there about to burst an artery over something completely stupid and insignificant while the troll sits back and laughs.

Also - trolling and cyberbullying are completely different. In the case of the latter, actual harm is intended, and the people involved genuinely mean the things they post. Cyberbullying is also usually between people who know each other in real life.

Also:
    601px-Trollface.png

So are you suggesting that I was cyber bullied on here rather than trolled?

So are you suggesting that I was cyber bullied on here rather than trolled?

I wasn't suggesting anything. I have no idea of your circumstances.

finality wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting anything. I have no idea of your circumstances.
    But why did you bring it up then? To be honest I think you're actually right. People have clicked my formspring thing and told me to kill myself! :rolleyes:
    Also after getting a link for a soccer match a few months ago, I decided to join in the chat room with a few people from boards. I misplayed Ted as teed and they all just kept taking the piss out of me. I wouldn't be allowed to repeat the things that were said to me on here.

But why did you bring it up then? To be honest I think you're actually right. People have clicked my formspring thing and told me to kill myself! :rolleyes:
    Also after getting a link for a soccer match a few months ago, I decided to join in the chat room with a few people from boards. I misplayed Ted as teed and they all just kept taking the piss out of me. I wouldn't be allowed to repeat the things that were said to me on here.

I was just replying to the thread :P Did you give them a reaction? I mean generally if you just laugh these things off people will leave you alone.

finality wrote: »
    I was just replying to the thread :P Did you give them a reaction? I mean generally if you just laugh these things off people will leave you alone.
    I told them to shut up ect or I'd eat their family ect ect. I even changed my name to Ted and someone else started calling himself teed and then they all started doing it.
    Man U match I think it was. A Tuesday I think.

I told them to shut up ect or I'd eat their family ect ect. I even changed my name to Ted and someone else started calling himself teed and then they all started doing it.
    Man U match I think it was. A Tuesday I think.

Well that sounds like an...entertaining exchange. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

People that point out a spelling mistake or two are worse than trolls. I saw a thread on here tonight where some guy spelled something wrong in the title and 4 or 5 people were trying to make fun of him.
    Generally I don't take things too seriously online but the grammar nazis would be the worst type of poster imo. It's always the same ones as well, to quote the Iron Shiek "they are low life motha fackeers"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

I'm a troll.

Problem?

Trolls make nice pests. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

That would appear to be a racist, not a troll.
    "There ya go, that's an internet troll, that's what they look like" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They see me trollin'....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I kinda agree with SF, Teddy, but you're not the best man to take a hint sometimes, even from mods, and even when it becomes a very strong hint.
    Calling someone a troll on an internet is the most offensive thing you can really.
    No, it's not.

I can think of many many worse things, and ones that are all too common 'net usage. Most of them, thankfully, would get you banned on Boards.
    It's like saying that person doesn't exist.
    Um ... :confused:
    People throw the word around way too often without understanding the meaning and history of the word.

It's far to easy to dismiss someones points.
    I would agree with you to an extent there, troll is an overused term, and often misused to dismiss points of view which somebody doesn't agree with.
    Look at KeithAFC. The guy was once a reputable poster but now everyone just sees the guy as a complete joke. It all started by people calling him a "troll".
    No, it all started with Keith's views and how he expressed them.

He has to know that he pisses off a lot of people on this site, not so much with his views but with how he expresses them.

Yet he constantly comes back, from which I would deduce that he gets a certain satisfaction from that.

Now, if someone is getting satisfaction from annoying and winding up others on the 'net, he's not that far from trolling tbh.

Mind you, I only mention Keith because he had already been named and discussed here; there are other Keith-a-likes and Anti-Keiths around too.
    Jeez, Teddy, over-dramatic or what? Even with that caveat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it all started with Keith's views and how he expressed them.

He has to know that he pisses off a lot of people on this site, not so much with his views but with how he expresses them.

Yet he constantly comes back, from which I would deduce that he gets a certain satisfaction from that.

Now, if someone is getting satisfaction from annoying and winding up others on the 'net, he's not that far from trolling tbh.
    Not far?! Getting your rocks off by annoying people on the internet IS trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

every time someone on boards, most likely AH, says the word troll.

I picture in my head the lil things from the 90s, troll heads, with the mad hair.

An we all know that we cut the hair off them thinkin it would grow back,

I kinda agree with SF, Teddy, but you're not the best man to take a hint sometimes, even from mods, and even when it becomes a very strong hint.

No, it's not.

I can think of many many worse things, and ones that are all too common 'net usage. Most of them, thankfully, would get you banned on Boards.

Um ... :confused:

I would agree with you to an extent there, troll is an overused term, and often misused to dismiss points of view which somebody doesn't agree with.

No, it all started with Keith's views and how he expressed them.

Mind you, I only mention Keith because he had already been named and discussed here; there are other Keith-a-likes and Anti-Keiths around too.

Jeez, Teddy, over-dramatic or what? Even with that caveat !
    What a beautifully formatted and well typed out post:)
    What do you mean about not being the best at taking hints from the mods at times?

Not far?! Getting your rocks off by annoying people on the internet IS trolling.
    Depends on the definition of trolling you're using.

To some, a troll was someone who adopted a persona or stance which was not genuine to their own beliefs in order to wind people up.

Over the years, this has generally widened out to encompass the broader definition you suggest. Some interesting thoughts here btw.
    What a beautifully formatted and well typed out post:)
    Why, thank you, Sir!

/bows
    What do you mean about not being the best at taking hints from the mods at times?
    Ah, now, Teddy, I will leave you to engage in some critical self-reflection on your history on Boards, and to answer that one for yourself!! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

WindSock wrote: »
    They are mostly attention whores and too chicken to say the stuff they do in real life. To real people. People with knives and fists and things.

not really, trolls are nomally very smart/humorous folks who make everyone laugh, Sadly their are aot of ****e ones...

Oh dear ... I fit the second part of that description at least! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

WindSock wrote: »
    quoted for truth!

some people have nothing better to do with their time,and they see the internet as one big anonymous playground with no consequences,people who are aware of/deliberately cause mass trouble.
    there are highly inteligent trolls whom have such a use of language and a way with communication that they do not appear to be the grass roots level of trolls and may be seen as being on the borderline or not at all.
    from own view,all of these are all 'trolls'.

then there are the type who have borderlinePD and/or pyschopathic tendencies, they look for bait-usualy vulnerable people such as on support forums for mental health or disabilities,they 'groom',manipulate,take advantage of, bully, abuse and wear down targets,they also want to 'look' mentaly and intelectualy superior so they pick a vulnerable target to not appear as subnormal themselves.
    they may think of themselves as trolls and project their behavior onto someone else whilst completely denieing any self responsibility.
    this type is a predatory bully with mental issues and is not a troll.

then there are people who get mistaken to be trolls because of the manner of how they present themselves.
    -not forgeting those who are called trolls as a way of taking the attention away from something its caller said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I do a small bit of trolling on FB just to see the reaction of my buddies.

Never anything to serious though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I troll. It's a hobby. I've been trolled and I got respect for the ones that put the effort in. It's like a psychological art form, if you do it right.

An example I've mentioned before, there's a particular forum I've been trolling for six years, now. I have multiple sock puppet accounts, a bunch of unused ones I keep on hand just in case, and a "Main character" that keeps on getting banned. My sock puppet accounts range from respected members of the online community to people that are just there. I'll stage an argument between one of them and my main character to see who picks sides with who, then throw in another sock puppet or two. It gets hysterical.

It's not just about the funny, the things people tell you are amazing. I know secrets, different people trust either the sock puppets or the main character. It's interesting to see how lives get played out and how people react. You see the ACTUAL them as opposed to the persona they want people online to see, usually some Joe Cool thing. Another example is a place I trolled in the same way for a while, with one of the users being a self-appointed "Forum-B!tch." She sucked at being a b!tch and was mostly just confused all the time and a bit of an idiot, but sweet at the same time. She just wanted to be high school cool. A bit of pushing in the right direction and she becomes her actual self. It's liberating to not have to try any more, and fun to see the transition.

Also, I do troll in real life as much as one can. People put forth the same fake personality as they might on the 'net, I break it to see what they're really like. We're an emotional species, but afraid to show our emotions, especially us dudes where it's not particularly socially acceptable. If you do let your guard down and become real, it's an amazing feeling. I know, trust, y'all.

A good troll is one that can lead you in such a way you're unaware of it. A bad troll is one that posts pictures of gore and cp. It's like the difference between Martyrs and Hostel. Both are gory films, what makes them different? The psychology behind it, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

why do you think people troll online? also, if you're trolling do you basically have no life?

Trolling is a art

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swirly Whirly

Excellent well done trolling I respect and try to emulate sometimes. I'm not very good at it though. :D

Bad trolling is a waste of time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Good Night Sweet Prince...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

After quite a bit of procrastination I've decided to come clean, that thread I posted about the dog was completely made up. I did it to see what peoples reactions would be and they were just what I was expecting; outrage at the thought of killing an animal. I put quite a bit of time and effort into writing that thread and it paid large dividends, I managed to offend nearly everyone that posted in it.

I couldn't give a fuck if I get banned for this confession as I found other more intersting forums during my ban for a racist comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Trolls :

a word that is thrown around when you have a different opinion than the person you are debating with. They are not the brightest and usually don't have quick come backs so they throw the word "troll" around

**** Stirrurs :

People who make large piles in the toilet, then using the toilet brush, begin to stur it until it thickens to a medium brown fudge

Keyboard Warrior :

A troll & **** stirrur thrown into 1
    ( nerds threatening Arnold / Mel behind their keyboards )

Racist:

You are a racist if you use the word "black" or give out about "welfare tourism"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement