Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trolls

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I'm currently trolling all my 'friends' on Facebook.

Everyone that writes RIP Whitney, The greatest. gets a 'Just another dead junkie' reply, usually followed by a rant about how i have never heard them listen to her or mention her in the last 10+ years.

Picture of Klanfield and Suarez in KK uniform or the like get great response and i can knock hours out of some people.

Tis great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

idunnoshur wrote: »
    After quite a bit of procrastination I've decided to come clean, that thread I posted about the dog was completely made up. I did it to see what peoples reactions would be and they were just what I was expecting; outrage at the thought of killing an animal. I put quite a bit of time and effort into writing that thread and it paid large dividends, I managed to offend nearly everyone that posted in it.

I couldn't give a fuck if I get banned for this confession as I found other more intersting forums during my ban for a racist comment.

Admitting to trolling is simply attention seeking. Y/n?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Trolling is a art.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Originally posted by idunnoshur
    After quite a bit of procrastination I've decided to come clean, that thread I posted about the dog was completely made up. I did it to see what peoples reactions would be and they were just what I was expecting; outrage at the thought of killing an animal. I put quite a bit of time and effort into writing that thread and it paid large dividends, I managed to offend nearly everyone that posted in it.

I couldn't give a **** if I get banned for this confession as I found other more intersting forums during my ban for a racist comment.

You should have put more into it, it was pretty clear you were trolling.

The Daily Mail is the best newspaper.
    Trolling is something I've tried to figure out myself.
    I think that often, a troll is someone with low self-esteem who's seeking attention.
    They don't feel that they can get this in a positive way (I don't think it's a coincidence that lots of trolls complain about fora being full of cliques) so they piss people off out of spite but also to get noticed.
    We shouldn't allow foreign people into the country.
    It's something most adults either grow out of or never do in real life as it would lead to confrontation or backlash.
    The anonymity and lack of real-life consequences on the internet, however, allow them to keep it up.
    Abolish the dole for people who wear tracksuits.
    I sometimes feel a bit sorry for them, as they obviously have some emotional issues.
    Though of course some people just enjoy getting a rise out of others.
    Suarez isn't racist.
    What I've noticed, and in some ways find more annoying than proper trolling, is when people genuinely have a controversial opinion, but still only post in situations where they're going to annoy people with it.
    They're basically the same as trolls, except their opinions are real. You see lots of people, for example, with extreme right-wing views who only ever post about these views, and never get involved in any other types of discussions.
    And if they're ever questioned or provided with evidence that contradicts what they've said, they just won't respond.
    Irish wimminz are the worst like!
    To me, they're worse than trolls who are clearly trolling. They simply can't see any other point of view beyond their own limited one, and are so consumed with anger and maybe self-loathing that they keep getting angry about made-up tabloid stories and then posting in such a way that they know they'll get people angry and get lots of negative attention for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Most people aren't trolls, they just get called that because they have a different opinion. Pathetic
    F**king troll :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A good watch. Real trolls too.

The Daily Mail is the best newspaper.
    Trolling is something I've tried to figure out myself.
    I think that often, a troll is someone with low self-esteem who's seeking attention.
    They don't feel that they can get this in a positive way (I don't think it's a coincidence that lots of trolls complain about fora being full of cliques) so they piss people off out of spite but also to get noticed.
    We shouldn't allow foreign people into the country.
    It's something most adults either grow out of or never do in real life as it would lead to confrontation or backlash.
    The anonymity and lack of real-life consequences on the internet, however, allow them to keep it up.
    Abolish the dole for people who wear tracksuits.
    I sometimes feel a bit sorry for them, as they obviously have some emotional issues.
    Though of course some people just enjoy getting a rise out of others.
    Suarez isn't racist.
    What I've noticed, and in some ways find more annoying than proper trolling, is when people genuinely have a controversial opinion, but still only post in situations where they're going to annoy people with it.
    They're basically the same as trolls, except their opinions are real. You see lots of people, for example, with extreme right-wing views who only ever post about these views, and never get involved in any other types of discussions.
    And if they're ever questioned or provided with evidence that contradicts what they've said, they just won't respond.
    Irish wimminz are the worst like!
    To me, they're worse than trolls who are clearly trolling. They simply can't see any other point of view beyond their own limited one, and are so consumed with anger and maybe self-loathing that they keep getting angry about made-up tabloid stories and then posting in such a way that they know they'll get people angry and get lots of negative attention for themselves.

I think it's only about seeking attention if a troll feels the need to come out afterwards and be all "o lol I trolling look at me". Some people just can't get it right.

And I c what you did thar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Wow, a lot of people admitting to trolling.
    I wonder will action be taken against them?

I remember reading a post from DeVore recently saying he feels they ruin the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

This thread seems like trolling to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

Really? I thought it was a well fabricated OP, what gave it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

idunnoshur wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was a well fabricated OP, what gave it away?

You said you wanted to shoot a dog for killing some kittens and asked people on the internet for adivce.

That.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Well this thread just got awkward :o
    We have a turd in the punch bowel, I repeat, We have a turd in the punch bowel!!

We have a turd in the punch bowel

Can't tell...if really ironic or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

You said you wanted to shoot a dog for killing some kittens and asked people on the internet for adivce.

That.

I suppose you're right, a lot of people fell for it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

KeithAFC wrote: »

Your post seems like trolling to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Trolls can be found throughout the world of Skyrim and can be tough enemies. A troll's health regenerates quickly from the average wound, but they are more susceptible to fire, making it the key component to coming out on top in a battle with a troll.
    After killing a troll, you can loot their bodies for Troll Fat.
    Frost_troll.bmp

Trolls can be found throughout the world of Skyrim and can be tough enemies. A troll's health regenerates quickly from the average wound, but they are more susceptible to fire, making it the key component to coming out on top in a battle with a troll.
    After killing a troll, you can loot their bodies for Troll Fat.
    Frost_troll.bmp
    Where did you get this information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Trolls :

a word that is thrown around when you have a different opinion than the person you are debating with. They are not the brightest and usually don't have quick come backs so they throw the word "troll" around
    That's the line used by people who post absolute looney stuff which they can't back up and get butt-hurt when taken to task on it.
    Racist:

You are a racist if you use the word "black" or give out about "welfare tourism"
    I think I've seen one person cry racism over the use of the word black, and they were rightly told to cop on.

A person isn't a racist if they express concern over immigration to a country whose economy is in trouble, but saying "They get a free house and car" kinda stuff is stupid, racist or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I want to stay at home, watch day time tv and spend 30 minutes hoovering/ironing, so yes I'm a male feminist, give women the jobs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Dave Pearson .. real life troll to Irish rugby fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Trolling can be great fun on YouTube. Not much moderation. People who fly off the handle over very little. I always try and be very insulting for maximum results. Lovely when someone threatens to burn your house down or disembowel you because you slag off Maverick Sabre or Bryan Adams !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Where did you get this information?
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Pdfile wrote: »
    not really, trolls are nomally very smart/humorous folks who make everyone laugh, Sadly their are aot of ****e ones...

Ah yeah, there are some great ones out there but are few and far between in a sea of provocative retards. Hence why I said mostly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

ColeTrain wrote: »
    People that point out a spelling mistake or two are worse than trolls. I saw a thread on here tonight where some guy spelled something wrong in the title and 4 or 5 people were trying to make fun of him.
    Generally I don't take things too seriously online but the grammar nazis would be the worst type of poster imo. It's always the same ones as well, to quote the Iron Shiek "they are low life motha fackeers"..

Checked your powst for speling miss takes. Yew'll be glad two no it apeers fine.

:pac::pac::pac:

There's a difference between trolls and character posters.
    Trolling is fairly easily spotted. It's the internet after all. It can't be taken too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

if its done right.

How to do it right, by Sun Tzu:
    1. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    2. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.
    3. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    4. Standing on the defensive indicates insufficient strength; attacking, a superabundance of strength.
    5. Appear at points which the enemy must hasten to defend; march swiftly to places where you are not expected.
    6. If we wish to fight, the enemy can be forced to an engagement even though he be sheltered behind a high rampart and a deep ditch. All we need do is attack some other place that he will be obliged to relieve.
    7. Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.

(Bored, rereading Art of War)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The key to trolling is to derail the topic at hand in a seemingly innocent way. Generally you need to get your reply early in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Racist:

You are a racist if you use the word "black" or give out about "welfare tourism"

we'd do it if we could; dont be a prat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Aside from the internet would the likes of Eamonn Dunphy be considered a TV troll. Controversial opinions, courts publicity, winds people up etc etc
    Piers Morgan also springs to mind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement