Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Free" Walking Tours

• 13-02-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I'm planning on taking a free walking tour on my next trip, I've been told that you are expected to tip the guide instead of paying a normal set fee.

Just wondering what is an acceptable tip for an enjoyable tour???

Would ten euro be enough? I ask because I don't wanna be a cheap skate. My next trip is Budapest if that matters.

I would love to know what everyone else has paid in the past.

Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

lc180 wrote: »
    Hey,

So I'm planning on taking a free walking tour on my next trip, I've been told that you are expected to tip the guide instead of paying a normal set fee.

Just wondering what is an acceptable tip for an enjoyable tour???

Would ten euro be enough? I ask because I don't wanna be a cheap skate. My next trip is Budapest if that matters.

I would love to know what everyone else has paid in the past.

Cheers!

I was in Budapest back in 2009 and took one of these walking tours and it was good fun, basically you have an English speaking guide (a uni student in my case) who explains everything and it is good fun. It is tips only and I gave her 3500HUF which is around €10 as she was pretty fun.

However I also witnessed some cheap skates leaving without tipping and some people would drop out of the tour and rejoin etc. These two americans gave her a 200HUF note after she taking photos of them and everything talk about misery, yet she thanked them and accepted it like as if it was a decent tip. 200forint is around 50 to 60c !! I actually think I was the biggest tipper but as someone who has worked with tourists myself in the past I always tip well as I remember the delight I would get when tipped myself!!

Considering it is only an hour or three anything above €5 is pretty good I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Paid €20 for the free walking tour of Berlin. It was three hours long and really worth it - the guide was excellent. I think €10 for an hour-long tour is okay. But yes - in Berlin we noticed some people legging before the end so that they wouldn't have to pay. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭lc180

cheers for your input! I'll make sure to leave a descent tip, nothing worst than people taking advantage!

Advertisement