Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

short fillum idea..

• 13-02-2012 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

as the title says, I'd love to do a docu called "a week on the dole" exploring the desperation, boredom, frustration that an honest dole person has, the struggle to exist, have a presence and seek validation...

any film-makers out there interested? its a story that needs to be told, I feel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So wait...... you're a film maker and wanna document someone on the dole?

I think it's called a "Video Diary" when the subject is yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Film**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

no, I'm on the dole, trying to get a job.. and I think my or another's story would make a great (black and white) docu style fillum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Be sure to include plenty of footage of emailing out CVs and getting no replies. Fucking frustrating, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Why not do a film about nudists on the dole? It would be very enlightening.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Already done, it's called Trainspotting

Confab wrote: »
    Be sure to include plenty of footage of emailing out CVs and getting no replies. Fucking frustrating, that.

exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about..

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Already done, it's called Trainspotting

have you even seen that film? are you even old enough to have seen it when it came out???

I dont do heroin, I choose life.

nice_very wrote: »
    have you even seen that film? are you even old enough to have seen it when it came out???

I reckon he's old enough to remember VHS or even DVD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Only if its in black and white.
    Or else its not art and I won't be up for it!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I reckon he's old enough to remember VHS or even DVD!

then he should remember what that film is about, ya think?

I have. Found it very enlightening.

then he should remember what that film is about, ya think?

I think it might've been a joke

Only if its in black and white.
    Or else its not art and I won't be up for it!

yeahhhh, I was thinking it could be done in a grainy B & W, with the grey that are our skies, it would emphasise the depression and blandness that we feel.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think it might've been a joke

in fairness, its a pretty bad joke if thats the case, ask anyone about that film and they will probably say heroin.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

no, I'm on the dole, trying to get a job.. and I think my or another's story would make a great (black and white) docu style fillum..

Sure haven't you plenty of time to organise it in real life as opposed to having a great idea and hoping people on line can sort it out for you?

Your OP is a bit like picking fluff from you bellybutton and thinking that someone could knit you a jumper from it.

Get stitching yourself.

humberklog wrote: »
    Sure haven't you plenty of time to organise it in real life as opposed to having a great idea and hoping people on line can sort it out for you?

Your OP is a bit like picking fluff from you bellybutton and thinking that someone could knit you a jumper from it.

Get stitching yourself.

well.. I'm not a film maker, dont understand their processes, what would have more impact etc.. thats why I am putting it out there, and if it gives a few people a bit of work - result, if it makes people aware that all people on the dole are not spongers - double result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

as the title says, I'd love to do a docu......

Er, no it doesn't.

well.. I'm not a film maker,

But you're a story writer?

But you're a story writer?

no, again I will say... I am an ordinary man on hard times, on the dole.. love to be working.. why cant anyone tell our story? theres 450,000 on the dole, there must be a few stories there to tell, that we are all not spongers

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Er, no it doesn't.

you see that comma in the OP Liam?

no, again I will say... I am an ordinary man on hard times, on the dole.. love to be working.. why cant anyone tell our story? theres 450,000 on the dole, there must be a few stories there to tell, that we are all not spongers

So someone must do it? Alan (ahem) Bleasdale?

It's done, loads of times.

Make it modern and relevant to you? You do it. Not knowing how to is pure arsecrack. Find out how and do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

it'll be a very short film if you have to edit out 20 hours of daily fapping!

So someone must do it? Alan (ahem) Bleasdale?

It's done, loads of times.

Make it modern and relevant to you? You do it. Not knowing how to is pure arsecrack. Find out how and do it.

again...... I know nothing about tv/film and their respective processes.. will you give me the thousands of euro to film/edit etc

arsecrack is the argument you put forward, I wouldnt represent myself in court if I had to go, I wouldnt try to nurse a dying person without knowing what I was doing...

again...... I know nothing about tv/film and their respective processes.. will you give me the thousands of euro to film/edit etc

arsecrack is the argument you put forward, I wouldnt represent myself in court if I had to go, I wouldnt try to nurse a dying person without knowing what I was doing...

And yet you think a short film about you would be interesting? What qualification have you for that?
    What's required? Something more than a half inane post on AH surely?

Especially when there's a lot of films on unemployment out there already.The Van? The Full Monty? Etc. Etc.

There's your problem. Who's going to spend thousands on a 'dole documentary'..

It doesn't sound like good TV.

And yet you think a short film about you would be interesting? What qualification have you for that?
    What's required? Something more than a half inane post on AH surely?

Especially when there's a lot of films on unemployment out there already.The Van? The Full Monty? Etc. Etc.

I did propose an idea of a docu of someone on the dole, offering myself as subject, not a cheesy film, a docu.. the only qualification I have is being on the dole.. is it really hard to understand or are you trying desperately to pick holes?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    There's your problem. Who's going to spend thousands on a 'dole documentary'..

It doesn't sound like good TV.

done right, I think it would be very eye-opening, especially to those that put all dole people in the same box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My sister did a short film/skit on a homeless gentleman in a top hat and a morning suit, wielding a cane, and begging on the Ha'penny bridge at (roughly) the beginning of the cetlic tiger's downfall in 2007.

That was before the effects of austerity had begun to take effect.

Looking back on it, I actually think it was a particularly interesting depiction of Irish people's (dis)belief in the serious recession that was about to unfold.

So do what you want, OP. The worst that can happen is that you get demonised as a doom mongerer. Sadly, in our economy, the doom mongerers have generally been proven quite correct:(

• Advertisement

I did propose an idea of a docu of someone on the dole, offering myself as subject, not a cheesy film, a docu.. the only qualification I have is being on the dole.. is it really hard to understand or are you trying desperately to pick holes?

No, not picking holes and sorry if it comes across that way. I was going on your heading for the thread.

There are even more docs made on the unemployed than there are films. The 80's was stock full to the brim of them. My point is is that putting a post up on AH will bring you further from what you want than actually doing something about it. And I don't mean spending thousands of pounds, but spending a bit of shoe leather.

If your story's that interesting and it's worth telling? Well if it's worth telling then put some work into it. Putting a post up in AH does not equate to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

yeahhhh, I was thinking it could be done in a grainy B & W, with the grey that are our skies, it would emphasise the depression and blandness that we feel.

...while you lay on the couch in your jocks playing xbox and eating pop tarts :p

done right, I think it would be very eye-opening, especially to those that put all dole people in the same box

There's nearly half a million people on it and we live in a small country. The vast majority know someone on it or have been on it themselves for a period. It might close more eyes than open them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

OP who would watch this film.
    This would be just as appealing as making a film about a fella that works in a factory day in day out except without the crazy weekend you get with a wage packet.
    I would call this worst story ever, needs more dragons and ****.
    What about a fella on the dole trying to pay for his dragon food. The dragon gets hungry and starts burning **** .
    Its be better in colour though , its make the dragon look way cooler. Maybe a piano track now and again on the soundtrack for the "oh its art" stuff you seem to be trying to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

WHAT IS FILLUM

later10 wrote: »
    My sister did a short film/skit on a homeless gentleman in a top hat and a morning suit, wielding a cane, and begging on the Ha'penny bridge at (roughly) the beginning of the cetlic tiger's downfall in 2007.

That was before the effects of austerity had begun to take effect.

Looking back on it, I actually think it was a particularly interesting depiction of Irish people's (dis)belief in the serious recession that was about to unfold.

So do what you want, OP. The worst that can happen is that you get demonised as a doom mongerer. Sadly, in our economy, the doom mongerers have generally been proven quite correct:(

thanks for that, I was hoping people would see my idea as a possible eye-opening truth, that we are not all layabout spongers and we do want to work, with the depression and desperation that being on the dole brings about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

as the title says, I'd love to do a docu called "a week on the dole" exploring the desperation, boredom, frustration that an honest dole person has, the struggle to exist, have a presence and seek validation...

any film-makers out there interested? its a story that needs to be told, I feel

* fillum
    * docu

get out.

Er, no it doesn't.

you see that comma in the OP Liam?

I did. That wasn't what I was getting at.

...while you lay on the couch in your jocks playing xbox and eating pop tarts :p

I dont have an xbox or any other games console, the couch is too short for me to lie on it, its too cold and I cant afford coal to light a fire to be in my jocks, I've not seen pop tarts in 15 years...

anything else?

you are the kind of person I would love if you saw a docu like this, if only to break down your preconcieved notions

whatsamsn wrote: »
    * fillum
    * docu

get out.

its my thread, you get out

, I've not seen pop tarts in 15 years...

Now this, this is interesting.

You might be onto something here.

• Advertisement

cloptrop wrote: »
    OP who would watch this film.
    This would be just as appealing as making a film about a fella that works in a factory day in day out except without the crazy weekend you get with a wage packet.
    I would call this worst story ever, needs more dragons and ****.
    What about a fella on the dole trying to pay for his dragon food. The dragon gets hungry and starts burning **** .
    Its be better in colour though , its make the dragon look way cooler. Maybe a piano track now and again on the soundtrack for the "oh its art" stuff you seem to be trying to achieve.

good for you jim sheridan/oscar winning director

A black andwhite film about one mans quest to see a pop tart before he goes completely blind from too much sun exposure.

good for you jim sheridan/oscar winning director

Cinema goer would be my proper title and I wouldnt spend money on that drudgery I get enough of that these days.

A black andwhite film about one mans quest to see a pop tart before he goes completely blind from too much sun exposure.

He followed Madonna to sunny adoptive countries ?

Bergman bumming Ibsen? Movie short gold mesays.

A black and white film about one mans quest to see madonna before he goes blind from eating the first pop tart he has seen in 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ill take a photo the next time im in the grocery store.

Really you aren't missing much. Last year I had a craving, acted on it... and was kinda disgusted really. They are mostly sugar. Sugar coating, sugar pastry, sugar filling. And that was just strawberry.

when I actually throw up a photo of the flavors on offer these days, you ought to be kinda repulsed. It's gotten patently ridiculous.

A black and white film about one mans quest to see madonna before he goes blind from eating the first pop tart he has seen in 15 years.

Why would he eat Madonna ?

cloptrop, humberk, overheal and liam.................. GET A ROOM :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

its my thread, you get out

cant help but post in shite :pac:
    Im sorry, I really should stop ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement