Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Rifle

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi folks, new to Boards today.
    I was just wondering if anyone can advise me on a good start off rifle for target shooting on a range with a decent scope,willing to pay up to €400 second hand.
    CZ 452 .22??????? I heard there good,but don't know that much about them as this will be my first license/firearm,in the process of joining a club.Thanks for reading,comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭robbie mars

Hi there and welcome to boards first off you are thinking in the right lines in getting a 22 and for that class of money you should be able to pick up a second hand cz 452 in a 22 lr and the good thing is that they are as cheap as chips to feed (buy ammo for) with a hundred rounds of ammo costing as little as ten euro best of luck:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

MOD NOTE

Moved to main shooting forum.

==============================================================

Hello and welcome to Boards shooting.

You seem to be on the right path already. The CZ 452 in .22lr is about the best allrounder starter rifle.

They are cheap to buy, reliable, accurate, easy to maintain, cheap to run, and if properly minded will last your lifetime.

For a cheap rifle they are fantastically accurate. Of course you will have better rifles such as Anschutz, but with a price tag of nearly double that of a new CZ for a seond hand Anschutz it's very hard to recommend one for a starter rifle.

I've said it on many other threads that possibly 70% of people had and have a CZ in their safe. They are the type of gun to keep no matter what you buy later on. Top it off with a nice Hawke, Tasco, Bushnell, etc scope, and you have a brilliant little rifle for very little money.

New you would be looking at roughly €650 for a rifle, scope, and mounts. Second hand you could get the same kit with a case, few rounds, possibly even a bipod for between €350 - €500 depending on amount of gear with it.

There are other makes of rifles to consider, but they would not have the "reputation" of the CZ nor would they be as available. These include Remington, Savage, Marlin, etc.

Then there is always the semi auto rifles. Ruger would be a popular semi auto. Very popular with Gallery rifle shooting aswell a the ordinary plinker. Cheap gun, but not as accurate as a bolt action. If comparing semi auto rifles in the same price category as the CZ you will find they lack the accuracy of a bolt action so i would advise to stay with the bolt action for now.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Cheers for that, might buy internally in the club unless anyone knows a good gun shop was in Griffin Hawe Athy might try the shop in celbridge tomorrow

Thanks for info Ezridax.

Yzf R6 wrote: »
    ......... anyone knows a good gun shop .......
    Not 100% on names but there are shops in;
    • MacCarthy's in Prosperous
    • Cg Hobbies in Celbridge
    • Courtlough in Balbriggan
    • Angling & Sporting Centre in Ballydowd (Lucan)
    • Crescent Sports 10A inMonkstown
    • Fingal sports in Naul
    • Tallaght Rod & Gun
    These are all i know or remember from Kildare/Dublin area. Some may be out of date as in closed down or not in business so hopefully someone can clarify this.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 neeko

I was just wondering if anyone can advise me on a good start off rifle for target shooting on a range with a decent scope,willing to pay up to €400 second hand.
    CZ 452 .22??????? I heard there good,but don't know that much about them as this will be my first license/firearm,in the process of joining a club.Thanks for reading,comments appreciated.

The CZ452 is great! This is what i got as my first gun not so long ago and it's a fantastic all-rounder. As the lads sad, .22 ammo is cheap and with a moderator, it's very unobtrusive to shoot.

As for the add-ons. I padded my stock with cardboard & black duck tape to adjust the height for my line of sight. Bought a Debin bipod for ~€60 on eBay. And got a hawke sidewinder tactical scope 6.5-20*40. The only thing i will say on that is that this scope is kinda overkill for the rifle (i think). In retrospect, i probably would have been better off with a fixed power scope, maybe 8x with 32 objective.

Other observation as a new guy getting into shooting:
    Dont just go for the smallest gun safe there is cos you think your just starting out. I went for a 4" wide Vogue safe and the rifle barely fits into it (always banging the scope). If i get another gun i'll have to upgrade.
    Also, get a decent sized gun bag. Make sure it will fit a scoped rifle e.g. this one...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939171584/midwayusa-sniper-drag-bag-scoped-rifle-gun-case

Just my two cents buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

What About CZ455, I think this eventaully replaces the 452? (if you were thinking of buying new )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx35hRT92UY

Thanks for the feedback lads,good to get as much info as possible as I'm only new to the sport,also is it possible to get 2 guns starting off one being a .22 Rifle for target practice and the other a Shotgun for clay shooting,would there be an issue with licence.

Legally there are no limitations on the amount of firearms you can own, apply for or the time period between applications. However that is not always practised.

If you can show good reason for wanting the firearms, such as membership of a range/clay range, then there really is no reason why you couldn't apply for both at the same time. Whether successful or not is a matter only your local Firearms Officer can answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I got my first gun a .22 CZ452 about 4 months ago, waited a little over 3 months and the day the licence came in the door i went up the station with the shotgun, only a 3 week wait,

they seemed grand about it, but have heard of some super's having issues with people going from no guns to buying 2 at once

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Garv got his two first licences together last year, like ez said once you have a good reason and your reasons are good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

I started with a Lee Enfield .303 with a dedicated Quantam scope. Good solid gun but has a very loud report. Guess I is old skool !

Would it be a good enough reason to own 2 first off if your a member of a club with both target and clay shooting,not that important that I get 2 but would be nice.Might just stick to .22 to get introduced to sport first,no point in running before I can walk.

Depends on your super but if your only starting take it slow. Garv was big into shooting before he bought his own guns iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Have you ever used a rifle and/or shotgun? If you haven't you should try use a club gun before you commit to either.

Used a shotgun a few times for clays,and used rifle and pistol once but really got in to it,been meaning to get a licence for a while now but kept putting it off due to one thing or another,this time I'm determined to do it.

Used a shotgun a few times for clays,and used rifle and pistol once but really got in to it,been meaning to get a licence for a while now but kept putting it off due to one thing or another,this time I'm determined to do it.
    Be warned its highly addictive! One is never enough ;)

Would it be a good enough reason to own 2 first off if your a member of a club with both target and clay shooting.
    Yes.

You can have both as target guns, both as hunting guns, one as target, and the other as hunting. Each requires their own "proof" as in memberhsip details of a range or land permissions, but the reasons are valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

I started with a Lee Enfield .303 with a dedicated Quantam scope. Good solid gun but has a very loud report. Guess I is old skool !
    That's exactly what I'm planning to do, mad after one for target shooting/hunting.. but i just want to keep it with original sights,
    When did you pick yours up? and what was the price if you don't mind me asking, PM me if you want.. i want the Mk3 No1.. *Drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Get a Long Branch No4 - best L-E's ever built.

Call me biased.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

To be honest Tac i'd take any L-E i can get my hands on for a decent price haha :D

Fingal sports is the place for the old rifles

Thanks,got sorted.

Thanks,got sorted.
    Well what ya get????!!

Just to start off with I bought a Cz 452 .22lr silhouette/synthetic stock but I'm waiting for the licence so the dealer still has the rifle. I held it once when it came in but then had to hand it back,a bit of a pain but will be worth the wait,hopefully not too long though.

Thats a rifle ya will have for life if ya look after it, good choice. Did the gards give any idea of a time frame?

Will take care of it alright,purchased it based on advice from all of you on Boards so thanks for that,much appreciated as I'm only new to the sport.No Gardai never gave me a time frame,I questioned it alright but bean guard behind the counter said she knew nothing about firearm applications and said there was nobody there to speak to me about it.Don't want to call up yet as I only dropped it in on the 25th feb and I don't want them thinking I'm being pushy.Do you receive anything in the post to say that the relavant authorities in the Gardai got the application? Cheers.

Sometimes you get a letter saying they recieved your application but most dont seem to get it!

No harm calling to speak to the FO(firearms officer) as they are the one processing the application and to make sure they recieved the application. I always only deal with the FO in firearms matters, if she is not there when i call ill call back when she is and if i need to call in i do when she is there because if anyone else is telling you anything they are only guessing!

Good luck with the app lad

Good man thanks, is it Naas I call as that's the station I dropped app in ?

• Advertisement

Yep if thats you local station

Advertisement