Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News Headlines That You Read On Boards First

• 13-02-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Last night alone I got two sources of news from this very site before anywhere else delivered it. I found out about the case of Whitney Houstons' death right here in After Hours before hearing it elsewhere.

The Ireland vs France game being cancelled was also brought to me by fellow boardsies... actually even before our national broadcaster RTE had it announced!!! *rabble license fee rabble rabble*

Has Boards ever been your Reuters, Sky News or *shudder* Twitter.
    Which major news stories were broken to you first here on this site that you can recall?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The Fukushima disaster. Scary shit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I found out the other day that I was an arsehole, thanks to another poster. I would never have known only for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

I found out Steve Jobs died in YLYL. Saw a picture and was like "what's this about?" Then googled it and found out. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

The Oslo bombings! At that stage people were wondering what Islamic Extremists had against Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I found out here that Boards had been hacked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Sure we get the news headlines here before they even happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Boardsies are extremely quick off the mark when it comes to news stories. Also found out about Whitney Houston dying due to boards. Who needs the conventional media when boards.ie is around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

All of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Every fun celeb death of the last 5 years. I'm still holding out for the Beiber story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Just earlier I had forgotten the African Cup of Nations final was on, don't even think it was on tv but people were talking about it so clicked it on and watched the rest of it, went to penalties, good game, good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I found out we all hate McSavage, it's not just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Michael Jackson's death. There was a thread on it ages before it hit any news agency!

Boards is the balls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The death of Kim Jong 11 a few days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Spread wrote: »
    The death of Kim Jong 11 a few days ago

What happened to the first 10 of him?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pretty much everything these days, I don't pay much attention to the news...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

MrStuffins wrote: »
    What happened to the first 10 of him?

Probably in a frencie in the Rakdong river ........ or whatever sea it flows into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I found out the other day that I was an arsehole, thanks to another poster. I would never have known only for him.

I can also confirm that you are, in fact, an arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Quite a bit now that I think about it. Most recent being the rugby match.

Heard about Whitney on Facebook and actually came here to check if it was true. Screw the news sites, I go straight to boards to confirm my news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

The Norway bombs & youth camp massacre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭itac

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Quite a bit now that I think about it. ...... Screw the news sites, I go straight to boards to confirm my news :D
    QFT
    If I don't find out about something on here, I tend to find my way here very quickly after other news sources, just to double check...:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Thanks to AH I found out about Whitney Houston and Steve Jobs' death (also many more), Oslo bombings, the economy's ****ed, Bono's a disliked fellow and the whole polish "dole cheat" from Donegal..... and many more. So here's to you AH.

After Hours - like Sky News, only way better and twice as funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Sean Sherlock's SOPA law.

Whitney Houston's death.

That's off the top of my head so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Hindenburg disaster.

Advertisement