Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mail Abuse

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

This has got to bloody stop, I am sick of people abusing the mailing lists.
    Next week our reading group will cover Chapter 3 of Marx's Capital (Volume One). We meet next Wednesday (Feb 15) 2-3 in FG028 - POD. The text is covered in conjunction with David Harvey's lecture series 'Reading Capital'.

The text can be found here: http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/

David Harvey's lecture series can be found here: http://davidharvey.org/2008/06/marxs-capital-class-01/

The reading group remains open to anyone to join at any stage.

Check us out at limerickmarxistreadinggroup.webs.com

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

I take your point - it's a nuisance getting loads and loads of personally irrelevant emails into your inbox. It takes time to read/delete them and can obscure actually important emails.

However, a lot of students, seem to think their college email address is their actual personal email address that only they should have a right to distribute. This is not the case. The college assigns you an email address to communicate important things with you, but it also communicates less important (and often frankly irrelevant things to you).

Now, in this case, I'm not sure if this was a legitimate use of a college email service. As I understand it, any lecturer (staff) can send a email to undergrad and postgrad students without prior approval. They have default access to entire student email lists, this should be challenged.

however, if you're complaining about writing workshops, c-star workshops, SU emails, christmas lights emails, you're not entitled to do that. Set up a spam filter on your end. it's not your COLLEGE email address not your PERSONAL email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

This has got to bloody stop, I am sick of people abusing the mailing lists.

I thought one of my friends signed me up to some marxist group for the laugh ha, untill I saw it was sent to all students bit of a relief ha. Tis a bit annoying in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I was going to sent her an email asking her to stop and why does she not have an email for her group.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

cambridge wrote: »
    Now, in this case, I'm not sure if this was a legitimate use of a college email service. As I understand it, any lecturer (staff) can send a email to undergrad and postgrad students without prior approval. They have default access to entire student email lists, this should be challenged.

however, if you're complaining about writing workshops, c-star workshops, SU emails, christmas lights emails, you're not entitled to do that. Set up a spam filter on your end. it's not your COLLEGE email address not your PERSONAL email address.

Complaining just about the former. Whatever about traditional student mail, this is just blatant abuse of the system.

cambridge wrote: »
    I can complain about these stuff if I am getting a email everyday about them most of which are reminders. I can also complain when my email address is sent out to a group of people I dont know! BCC people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've no problems with college event related emails. Sure, constant reminders of workshops and such are a tad irritating, but the delete button isn't exactly that hard to click, and oft times I've legitimately forgotten about an email I got the week before so it's nice that if I wanted to go there's a reminder there.

But this shíte? It's the equivalent of each individual society sending us out an email to inform us of their event. If I had wanted to join a "Marxist Reading Group" I would have joined one.

CIAN LANE!

ibjpXJ8ZKpNq5b.PNG

ip2SQ5zwzSh5w.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

The class list IS clearly trying to be 1st Year Games or something. Terrible email either way. I'd have gone for the good ole;

"Testes, testes: One, Two.... Three?"

We should all email him back xD

What a dickhead. Surely we can report this somehow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I guess somebody just found out how to use email! N'awww how cute :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

CIAN LANE!

ibjpXJ8ZKpNq5b.PNG

ip2SQ5zwzSh5w.gif
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    What a dickhead. Surely we can report this somehow?

He is a nice guy, though. It was just a mistake - plenty of these emails are on purpose.

Regarding OP, that is a step too far. Marxist reading groups? Hells.

PROGRAM_IX wrote: »
    He is a nice guy, though. It was just a mistake - plenty of these emails are on purpose.
    His e-mail doesn't make it sound like a mistake at all. More like
    "I wonder if.."
    "There's a chance this may happen, so I should just say ignore this" <
    when warning lights should have gone off.

Pray tell me, what was he trying to do? Because I think it's "odd" that an email sent to Y1 mailing lists was sent to Y4 too (and probably more).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Hit me too. A graduated MEng

"I wonder if.."

Pray tell me, what was he trying to do? Because I think it's "odd" that an email sent to Y1 mailing lists was sent to Y4 too (and probably more).

Y2 checking in. Was clearly not an accident.

"I wonder if.."

<shrug> I'm not gonna speak for him, 'cos I don't know. All I'm saying is that, from my knowledge of him, he's the genuine type who wouldn't set out to annoy like that.

But maybe he would.

In any case, probably wrong of me to be discussing a real person on Boards - it's also a bit off-topic. Apologies.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Y2 checking in. Was clearly not an accident.

I'm Y3 and I got it as well. I replied to let him know.

How does that mean it wasn't an accident?

PROGRAM_IX wrote: »
    In any case, probably wrong of me to be discussing a real person on Boards - it's also a bit off-topic. Apologies.

"a real person"?!

Don't be telling us lies, we all know the last real person lost his marbles when he was left alone after Skynet sucked the rest of us into the intertubes

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

could also be a consequence of "frape-ing"
    facebook/email left logged in someone takes advantage.
    happend a lad i know last year where a message was posted to sulis/lecturer about ED :rolleyes:
    Subject: Erectile disfunction

Hey everybody !
    X here, Ie just been very curious with my ody parts these days. I have recently started getting hair on my chest and arms , armpits, but ive had puberty wit over a year though. And Last tuesday night i met a girl who was willing to have sexual intercourse with me, I was more than delighted but just after i put on my mojo condom which i got for free off the student union, my penis went flacid. It was quiet an embarrassment to say the least as the girl who i will leave nameless to pretect the innocent started laughing and my small limp and droopy 2 inch penis.

Yeh, my first thought was the poor lad got 'fraped' (or whatever you kids call the email equivalent of it nowadays)

• Advertisement

Ah for Christ sake lads! This is getting f*cking ridiculous.

FFS Gerard

Seriously, who could I complain to in ITD about this? This Kony shíte is blatant abuse of the system. Did no one give the little firsties the talk about not dicking around with the mailing lists? For fúck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I had always presumed that group emails were blocked, and you needed authorisation from ITD to use them.
    I remember trying to send an email to my class last year (a whole 8 people), but it was returned to me because I didn't "have permission" to use the email.

It's ridiculous that just anybody can send an email to the entire college. GRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I was so so so so so tempted to 'reply all' and correct his spelling of Kony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

seriously is this a recent bug? i was under the impression students can't send email to class lists only staff can.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I was so so so so so tempted to 'reply all' and correct his spelling of Kony.

I have it typed.... but I don't have the courage to hit send... :\

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Haha same!

All I had was "*Kony" but feared the backlash! Apparently some lads don't like a bit of email that they can easily bypass!

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Haha same!

All I had was "*Kony" but feared the backlash! Apparently some lads don't like a bit of email that they can easily bypass!

Apparently there's a place on the internet they congregate and bitch about unsolicited mail... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Tried to reply to all but wasn't allowed because I didn't have access to the restrcited address. Obviously coordinated and they used someones email who had access to the addresses. And he couldn't even spell Kony right. What an absolute clown to be honest.

Advertisement