Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mail Abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

<snip> just spammed every one. I told her to stop abusing the email system. Her response was colourful. Clown needs some manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

Well she just emailed back saying she was going to get ITD too look into it! Least that much...don't know if they will though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I called him a dickhead in massive capital letters. Maybe a bit harsh, but meh!

And since I assume we're not supposed to post email addresses here, might I suggest some of the email addresses here might be worth adding to a rule that redirects all these emails to?

A Dickhead? All youhave to do is delete the Email you overdramatic queen...All he is doing is giving people advice on a potential Summer Job etc..Some people on this site need to Loosen up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Fail to see the problem with this, simply stretch out the old pointer and click delete

People complaining here have taken up much more of their time typing a complaint than deleting the mail

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    People complaining here have taken up much more of their time typing a complaint than deleting the mail

Ahh, but you've not taken into consideration how much of their time they've taken up just deleting the mails in the past. Clearly it was enough that they felt the need to start typing complaints.

Granted that means an initial increase in time usage, but if the mails stop then they recover that time in the future ... by not having to delete mails they had no remote interest in receiving.

I see a solution - increase the number of spam mails until the issue is fixed. Might be some sort of repercussion if that increase all comes from one address though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A Dickhead? All youhave to do is delete the Email you overdramatic queen...All he is doing is giving people advice on a potential Summer Job etc..Some people on this site need to Loosen up.

Oh I deleted it as well. But he needs to know he's a dickhead. :pac:

And just by your logic, if you've a problem with people complaining about the abuse of the email system in UL, then reading a thread on the UL Forum called "Email Abuse" is probably not the wisest idea.

And just by your logic, if you've a problem with people complaining about the abuse of the email system in UL, then reading a thread on the UL Forum called "Email Abuse" is probably not the wisest idea.

I have a problem with people moaning over nothing when all you have to do is delete. Although i have come to expect it from you on a daily basis.

I have a problem with people moaning over nothing when all you have to do is delete. Although i have come to expect it from you on a daily basis.

Ah I wouldn't say daily now! More like 6 days a week at most! ;)

It's funny that you're taking time to type out a complaint about my complaining when all you have to do is move on... Irony much? :pac:

It's funny that you're taking time to type out a complaint about my complaining when all you have to do is move on... Irony much? :pac:

Not really...you have no valid reason to complain you're just being a complete Prat towards people giving advice,looking for FYP help or promoting charities who use the UL mailing system. Ring into Joe Duffy and immerse yourself with people of a similar character.

Not really...you have no valid reason to complain you're just being a complete Prat towards people giving advice,looking for FYP help or promoting charities who use the UL mailing system. Ring into Joe Duffy and immerse yourself with people of a similar character.

Well this is just all kinds of wrong. I think you'll find I've defending people asking for FYP help on numerous occasions. What I have a problem with is people abusing the mailing lists to the extent we've seen in the past number of weeks.

And I'm a prat to everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Are you all pretending that you don't realise that these emails which are going to everyone are clearly not the fault of the sender?

The emails are clearly addressed to a specific mailing list yet everyone gets them. Case in point: "Class List Professional Diploma in Education (Mathematics Teaching)". It's ITD's problem if anything. People can't just simply stop sending emails.

Curious as to why we haven't gotten emails from teachers with info for a specific course lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I don't understand why people let themselves get so bothered about this. At any rate, the guys replying with trollish emails just as bad (if not worse) as the guys sending these things in the first place.

Nockz wrote: »
    Are you all pretending that you don't realise that these emails which are going to everyone are clearly not the fault of the sender?

The emails are clearly addressed to a specific mailing list yet everyone gets them. Case in point: "Class List Professional Diploma in Education (Mathematics Teaching)". It's ITD's problem if anything. People can't just simply stop sending emails.

Curious as to why we haven't gotten emails from teachers with info for a specific course lol.

The one about Hurling and Working in Holland was sent to all students. <snip>'s one seems to have been a genuine mistake given that the content of the email was related to the course.

The one about Hurling and Working in Holland was sent to all students. <snip>'s one seems to have been a genuine mistake given that the content of the email was related to the course.

Fair enough, but I replied saying stop abusing the email system as I was in a pissy mood and her response was out of line "Stop being a knob" and "thank f**k your not in my course" Bit over the line by her especially as a 5th year student. So could have replied reasonably instead of as acting the clown.

cjthecrow wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I replied saying stop abusing the email system as I was in a pissy mood and her response was out of line "Stop being a knob" and "thank f**k your not in my course" Bit over the line by her especially as a 5th year student. So could have replied reasonably instead of as acting the clown.

Indeed, that is a bit out of line. Especially since she apologised nicely in the follow up email.

You were in the wrong. I'd imagine having more than a few 'pissy' students raging at that, which was not her mistake, can't be a nice feeling.

Nockz wrote: »
    You were in the wrong. I'd imagine having more than a few 'pissy' students raging at that, which was not her mistake, can't be a nice feeling.

Still an over reaction on her part.

Still an over reaction on her part.

An over reaction on your over reaction.

Please listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

CJKeane wrote: »
    I also would love to know how a third year business student got access to the all student e-mail system!

It seems that students can use the All Students Year 1/2/3/4 addresses (i.e. AllStudentsY1@studentmail.ul.ie, AllStudentsY2@studentmail.ul.ie, etc...) and the AllStudents@studentmail.ul.ie. Someone sent an email about Joseph Kony to each individual year about a few days ago and then someone also sent an email about hurling in Holland just yesterday to the allstudents one.

My guess is that the All Student email system is open to anyone.

But people who post a lot on here complaining that they are being spammed are doing themselves no favours. You're wasting your own time. Time that you claim JUST can't be wasted. You are so busy and caught for time that a little bit of email spam is so much effort. I currently come to college at 9am and leave at 4/5pm. I also work part time from 6 until 10. Sometimes 11. Then I do more college assignments and project until 2/3am. I sleep, on average, 4 to 5 hours a night. I still have time to delete my email spam.

Now... Please. Tone it down a bit and learn that the world isn't perfect.

-Dermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fifi Trixie Belle

Just for some info (true of AY 2010-11); Students/Class Reps have to be added to a specific list in order to have permission to email a mailing list. If a Class Rep emails any list other than their class with information which is (objectively) irrelevant, then a complaint can be lodged. Upon receipt of additional complaints, which relate to additional emails as opposed to the same email, the Class Rep's email privileges can be revoked i.e. they can be removed from the list. Maybe ITD have changed the way the mailing lists work again but this is true of last year, when they overhauled the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Has anybody seen a sliver ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

No. I read an email about it though. It ruined my day and made me cry.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Has anybody seen a sliver ring?

No.... but I know where I'll be sticking it if I do find it.... :pac:

Staff members setting a great example yet again!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's probably only a matter of time before a student frustrated with the more idiotic of the allstudent mails replies with rampant abuse directed at a staff member who's sent one and is hauled before the UL discipline committee as a result. That'll be one interesting case. When it happens, I want to hear about it. When it happens, I'll be dragging out an An Focal editorial I wrote in 2008 saying that almost any abuse directed at a spammer is justifiable.

Was so tempting to reply to her with some sarcastic reply, but I thought the better of it...

It's one thing when it's a student who sends it, but staff? Really should know better in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

I'd nearly excuse the 'ring' email. Might have meant a lot to her and sending a quick email to students was the best way of locating it. It's this kind of email(we ate least get two a week) that ****ing grinds my gears.....

People are needed to take part in an online psychology experiment about mood, culture and judgement. These experiments are designed to look at how peoples moods influence the types of judgements they make about the world. Taking part in this experiment involves you providing us with some background information about your age, education and cultural background, completing some questions about your mood state and cultural heritage, and completing a short computerised judgement game. This will take approximately 15 mins. Anyone can take part and volunteers who complete the measures will have the opportunity to be entered into a prize draw to win an iPod, or a voucher to the same value.

Click on this link to take part:

How about you lick the back of my sack?.

cup of tea wrote: »
    I'd nearly excuse the 'ring' email. Might have meant a lot to her and sending a quick email to students was the best way of locating it. It's this kind of email(we ate least get two a week) that ****ing grinds my gears.....

People are needed to take part in an online psychology experiment about mood, culture and judgement. These experiments are designed to look at how peoples moods influence the types of judgements they make about the world. Taking part in this experiment involves you providing us with some background information about your age, education and cultural background, completing some questions about your mood state and cultural heritage, and completing a short computerised judgement game. This will take approximately 15 mins. Anyone can take part and volunteers who complete the measures will have the opportunity to be entered into a prize draw to win an iPod, or a voucher to the same value.

Click on this link to take part:

How about you lick the back of my sack?.

Those aren't abusing the system though. Generally they're part of FYP's or Postgrad Research. As I've said before, you may be damn glad of being able to send out a quick survey were you doing either of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Those aren't abusing the system though. Generally they're part of FYP's or Postgrad Research. As I've said before, you may be damn glad of being able to send out a quick survey were you doing either of these.

Of course it's abusing the system!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: .No I'm fairly sure I won't be needing to send out any surveys!.

cup of tea wrote: »
    Of course it's abusing the system!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I disagree. To get a large sample size for any survey it's important to get as much response as possible, and I think the studentmail is appropriate for this, as the surveys are part of the academic side structure(?) of the Uni.

I'd prefer a survey every day rather than stupid emails about a Marxist reading group, a lost ring, a business course's moodle page, hurling and working in amsterdam over the summer, etc, etc.

• Advertisement

God damn Stephen Ryan!

Advertisement