Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mail Abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dementedmole5

Some amount of windgers on here. I hope your troubles will always be as small.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Some amount of windgers on here. I hope your troubles will always be as small.

Well, I hope your troubles will always be as small that you can "windge" about people "windging" about spam emails primarily for a laugh. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Its getting out of control now . I've got 25 emails about cookies today :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

shane7218 wrote: »

"Ignore conversation". Problem solved. ;)

shane7218 wrote: »
    Daniel S wrote: »

This. Right click on the email, fourth option from the bottom. (In fact, someone actually sent that around as an AllStudent email, which I thought was pretty cool of them. :))

It's getting ridiculous though. Since yesterday we've had this fiasco, an email about "Free Condoms", and one about rehoming kittens.

It's fine to say it's all a bit of craic, but this sort of stuff makes people less likely to check their student email as often, or could potential have people skimming over emails with subjects that appear to be spammish.

I'd hate to be an FYP student hoping to send out a survey in the coming weeks after this tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Not really. The default behaviour shouldn't be to send stupid e-mails as you please to entire year groups and then expect that others will ignore them. That would obviously become a disaster fairly quickly. It's simply common courtesy to not use mass e-mail for bull****.

If I'm wrong and it is incumbent on us to update our spam filters every day then I'm excited to get started on sending out my new hourly newsletter about my penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Was actually expecting an email today,
    Got it but missed it first glance,
    Some made me smile though I've a streak in me still... :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm assuming whoever started it is either going to get a warning or a ban from using the mailing lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Seems to have gotten completely out of control lately...

Going to start forwarding all these to ITD. Won't make a difference, but hopefully it'll piss them off for a change. :P
    thats actually a great idea :D

Stuxnet wrote: »
    thats actually a great idea :D

I actually followed through on that for once. Forwarded the "Cookie" thread to them, with a passive aggressive "I assume ye're aware of this by now, etc"

Got a reply back saying that they were aware of it and were trying to fix the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I actually followed through on that for once. Forwarded the "Cookie" thread to them, with a passive aggressive "I assume ye're aware of this by now, etc"

Got a reply back saying that they were aware of it and were trying to fix the problem.
    You should forward all the emails to them and maybe sign them up to a few newsletters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

The cookies email was a good laugh, you have the option not to view it so lets not all fall out over it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

TheGunns wrote: »
    The cookies email was a good laugh, you have the option not to view it so lets not all fall out over it :P

That goes for any e-mail that could be sent. We'd spend all day marking stuff as spam if everyone took that view.

It's common courtesy not to send mass e-mails like that; it's also part of the conditions of having the university e-mail address. People doing this kind of **** makes it more likely that they'll block off those lists for general use, harming those who genuinely need them. It's extremely selfish and immature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Subutai wrote: »
    That goes for any e-mail that could be sent. We'd spend all day marking stuff as spam if everyone took that view.

It's common courtesy not to send mass e-mails like that; it's also part of the conditions of having the university e-mail address. People doing this kind of **** makes it more likely that they'll block off those lists for general use, harming those who genuinely need them. It's extremely selfish and immature.

I wish they would take them away, nobody should actually be using them. I dont want to know if someone lost their iPhone or whatever. I would be in favour of those lists being taken away from student use.

TheGunns wrote: »
    I wish they would take them away, nobody should actually be using them. I dont want to know if someone lost their iPhone or whatever. I would be in favour of those lists being taken away from student use.

Well, there are legitimate cases to be made for using them.

Class Reps should use them to communicate with their class and Postgrads sending surveys for research purposes is fair enough IMO.

Although why ANY student has the necessary permissions to email an entire year group (apart from the year rep [are they still around?] obviously) is beyond me completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Well, there are legitimate cases to be made for using them.

Class Reps should use them to communicate with their class and Postgrads sending surveys for research purposes is fair enough IMO.

Although why ANY student has the necessary permissions to email an entire year group (apart from the year rep [are they still around?] obviously) is beyond me completely.

should be a feckin opt out feature at least

Email system doesn't allow you to send out an AllStudent email.

Obvious solution? Get Reception to do it for you.

:rolleyes:

Email system doesn't allow you to send out an AllStudent email.

Obvious solution? Get Reception to do if for you.

:rolleyes:

Just as bad that reception sent it. They have been sending out some amount of crap this year

I guess Reception hates us

Jester252 wrote: »
    I guess Reception hates us

I love how they phrase it to make it sound as if people complaining about the needless spam were in the wrong. :P

• Advertisement

It's effectively:

"We were only being nice... so fuck you guys"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

"dreadful phone calls"

who the hell actually rings to complain these days, bitching on boards is the only job:D

Wait, so are we now bitching about the fact that they're bitching about us bitching in the first place because of their emails? Just want to get that straight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Wait, so are we now bitching about the fact that they're bitching about us bitching in the first place because of their emails? Just want to get that straight. :pac:

my head hurts:(..

thank christ for that though,

now to get the arena and whoever sends me emails about job opportunities working with one eyed farmers in the northern andes and ill be happy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Apologies to all the genuine students who thought it was a great help to them.

So people who don't care about someone who needs a spin home are not genuine students?

What ever about the money found, lost valuables but the needed a spin home email really took the piss.

OK! WE GET IT!

THEY'RE LIGHTING THE BLOODY TREE TODAY!

:pac:

EDIT: Ah here! The crowd in control of UL40 definitely read this thread! 47 minutes after I posted this they sent a "Final Reminder". :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Just got an all-students mail from reception :pac:

mud wrote: »
    Just got an all-students mail from reception :pac:

You have 90 minutes to move your bike.
    You have 60 minutes.
    You have 30 minutes.
    Your bike has been crushed into a cube.
    You have 90 minutes to move your cube.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased