Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moisturiser that is good for your skin

• 13-02-2012 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Is moisturiser really good for our faces every day of our lives? I'd like to know if any moisturiser exists that does not contain chemicals? Is there a facial moisturiser that is actualy very good for your face that would delay wrinkles? Ive heard all conflicting advice: dry skin without moisturiser causes early wrinkles then I heard that everyday use of moisturiser causes early wrinkles... My aim is obviously to hold back the lines for as long as possible and keep my face as fresh and healthy as possible,,, I've stopped wearing makeup every day to give my face a break and now wear it every second day. I'm in my late 20s can somebody advise me a good natural moisturiser or should I leave my skin alone altogether no makeup no moisturiser nothing ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

cliona8969 wrote: »
    Is moisturiser really good for our faces every day of our lives? I'd like to know if any moisturiser exists that does not contain chemicals? Is there a facial moisturiser that is actualy very good for your face that would delay wrinkles? Ive heard all conflicting advice: dry skin without moisturiser causes early wrinkles then I heard that everyday use of moisturiser causes early wrinkles... My aim is obviously to hold back the lines for as long as possible and keep my face as fresh and healthy as possible,,, I've stopped wearing makeup every day to give my face a break and now wear it every second day. I'm in my late 20s can somebody advise me a good natural moisturiser or should I leave my skin alone altogether no makeup no moisturiser nothing ???

I want to know too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I've just started the oil cleansing method using castor oil and extra virgin olive oil, and find I no longer need to use moisturiser. It might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I'm no dermatologist but I would think using some form of moisturiser would be better than not using one at all.
    If you don't like ones that are strong smelling or really rich maybe you could try one like Simple? I use that sometimes and it's very kind on the skin. I would think if you use nothing then your skin would get quite dry and would age more quickly.

JustCoz wrote: »
    I'm no dermatologist but I would think using some form of moisturiser would be better than not using one at all.
    If you don't like ones that are strong smelling or really rich maybe you could try one like Simple? I use that sometimes and it's very kind on the skin. I would think if you use nothing then your skin would get quite dry and would age more quickly.

My skin has never felt better, and although I'm no dermatologist either, I read enough research into OCM and its benefits (which include anti-aging, apparently) to decide it was worth a try. All I'm doing is passing on what works for me.

My skin has never felt better, and although I'm no dermatologist either, I read enough research into OCM and its benefits (which include anti-aging, apparently) to decide it was worth a try. All I'm doing is passing on what works for me.

I have quite dry skin so I need to be using something every day. If I left it for a few days then my skin would go really dry on the cheeks but everyone's skin is different. Whatever works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I tried Oil Cleaning before but it didnt work for me.

I'm trying some samples of Nuxe creams at the min - they are gorgeous and fairly natural I think,

I have quite dry skin so I need to be using something every day. If I left it for a few days then my skin would go really dry on the cheeks but everyone's skin is different. Whatever works.

Mine's fairly combination, but I always found in the past that no one moisturiser did the trick...I'd end up using one on my cheeks, one on my forehead, and so on.

The best I found up to that point though was Clinique's Dramatically Different lotion (not gel).

Mine's fairly combination, but I always found in the past that no one moisturiser did the trick...I'd end up using one on my cheeks, one on my forehead, and so on.

The best I found up to that point though was Clinique's Dramatically Different lotion (not gel).

Well if what you’re doing is working that’s amazing, you will save so much money on beauty products! :D

Well if what you’re doing is working that’s amazing, you will save so much money on beauty products! :D

Yeah, so far, just wait until I'm back here in a week or two complaining about breaking out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I've just started the oil cleansing method using castor oil and extra virgin olive oil, and find I no longer need to use moisturiser. It might be worth checking out.

This might sound stupid, but do you just put oil on a cotton ball and use that to clean your skin?

• Advertisement

ElleEm wrote: »
    This might sound stupid, but do you just put oil on a cotton ball and use that to clean your skin?

It doesn't sound stupid at all, that's what I was like before I went snooping on t'internet. Unfortunately it's not that simple at all though. Rather than derail this thread entirely, here are a couple of links that explain it a bit better than I could:

http://www.thebeautybottle.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=2

http://www.highonhealth.org/why-you-need-to-start-using-the-oil-cleansing-method-ocm/

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

http://www.crunchybetty.com/nitty-gritty-on-the-oil-cleansing-method

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Moisturiser with an SPF of 15 - 30 (higher in sunny climates) is IMO one of the best things you can use on your skin. Everyday atmospheric uv rays are the most common cause of premature ageing and using SPF will prevent a good deal of this damage ( though not all of it)

On another note, these ads promising reversal of wrinkles are completely fabricated. No over the counter cream could contain anything strong enough in enough volume to make it efficient. To go down that road you need to get a Retin A prescription and even the results with that are minimal.

As the old saying goes, prevention is better than cure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It doesn't sound stupid at all, that's what I was like before I went snooping on t'internet. Unfortunately it's not that simple at all though. Rather than derail this thread entirely, here are a couple of links that explain it a bit better than I could:

http://www.thebeautybottle.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=2

http://www.highonhealth.org/why-you-need-to-start-using-the-oil-cleansing-method-ocm/

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

http://www.crunchybetty.com/nitty-gritty-on-the-oil-cleansing-method

Thanks for that. Really interesting.

My skin has always been good as I drink loads of water, but as I approach thirty, I seem to have had more zits appear and my pours are HUGE, so I get more blackheads.

ElleEm wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Really interesting.

My skin has always been good as I drink loads of water, but as I approach thirty, I seem to have had more zits appear and my pours are HUGE, so I get more blackheads.

No problem. It really is interesting, even if it's not something you personally (or anyone else reading it) wants to do. I find it has minimised my pores, although in saying that, they weren't too big anyway. And I have heard of people breaking out badly before their skin gets 'used' to it. Nobody wants that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cliona8969

OP here and thank u all for your kind comments.

are there any dermatologists here who can give me some definite advice as to the best daily moisturiser that wont damage my skin or cause wrinkles. im cutting out wearing makeup to reduce wrinkles id hate my moisturising use to give me even more!!
    would a moisturiser from the body shop be my best bet in regards being chemical free?
    also for oil cleansing, where do i buy the oil and which is best?
    would spf creams like la roche posay anthelios not contain soo many chemicals to outdo their antiaging job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

are there any dermatologists here who can give me some definite advice as to the best daily moisturiser that wont damage my skin or cause wrinkles. im cutting out wearing makeup to reduce wrinkles id hate my moisturising use to give me even more!!
    would a moisturiser from the body shop be my best bet in regards being chemical free?
    would spf creams like la roche posay anthelios not contain soo many chemicals to outdo their antiaging job?

I think you would only really need dermatologist advice if you had a specific problem with your skin like photo sensitivity, acne etc.

Your moisturiser won't cause wrinkles but it won't prevent them either unless you use a protective one to prevent environmental damage etc. The body shop ones would be no better than any other one although they may market it as though they are.

Regarding chemicals etc, look for paraben free formulas. Why don't you call in to a few of the beauty counters for a bit advice. They will naturally be pushing their own products but most of them will give you some good advice and you can shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Hello OP,
    As someone mentioned above moisturiser wont cause you wrinkles..wrinkles is caused by sun damage, genetic ageing etc but in simple terms trans epidermal water loss, lessening collagen & elastin production is what makes skin look aged.
    You need to keep the moisture in your skin, both from drinking water and using moisturiser, most importantly using broad spectrum spf of a minimum factor 30.
    Make up also wont cause wrinkles.
    In most cases products contain chemicals to preserve etc, and also ingredients that can work on the skin to stimulate cell renewal, fight age spots etc. Chemicals dont always mean bad but if all natural is what you are after then either look at homemade regimes you could follow or check out the likes of Lush where although may not all be chemical free there is a great range there which in my opinion is one of the least chemically preserved brands. They have some fab face masks as well as toners, cleansers and moisturisers.
    The ingredients used in decent quality facial ranges dont contain things that are going to harm your skin and they cant cause ageing...so products like La Roche Posay wouldnt be counter acting the anti ageing ingredients etc by whatever preservatives are also in the cream. La Roche Posay is actually an amazing range with some really great products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I (at just turned 27) am using as many natural, paraben free products as I possibly can.
    I have been opened to lots of products from subscribing to www.glossybox.co.uk and www.carmine.co.uk

While I don't always get skincare products in these beauty boxes, I have gotten some and have found one amazing moisturiser (Monu Recovery Balm) that has changed my skin dramatically in the past couple of months.

I also discovered Balance Me, Caudalie, Korres from these boxes. All these products are paraben free (parabens are supposedly in creams to kill bacteria but they aren't natural, some are, most aren't)

I tend to now go towards the more expensive, less high street brands of things, and especially for showering also. I use Rituals shower gel, which is divine!

Just have a snoop in Debenhams and ask for samples - they are only delighted to give you a squirt of stuff at counters. I do it all the time! Some moisturisers have to be good for your skin... and SPF is important.

Advertisement