Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place in dundalk for a pre nct service?

Options
  • 13-02-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

title says it all really. dont want to get ripped off for stuff i dont need! hate leaving the car in for stuff like this because i always seem to come home a few hundred quid short!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

rogieop wrote: »
    title says it all really. dont want to get ripped off for stuff i dont need! hate leaving the car in for stuff like this because i always seem to come home a few hundred quid short!

Bring your car to the NCT for 50 euro they'll check over it and tell you what or if anything needs to be fixed. If after you need anything fixed at least you'll know what exactly and can just have a good oil + filters service and fix what ever else needs to be fixed if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Bring your car to the NCT for 50 euro they'll check over it and tell you what or if anything needs to be fixed. If after you need anything fixed at least you'll know what exactly and can just have a good oil + filters service and fix what ever else needs to be fixed if anything.

you reckon thats a good idea? just throw it in as it is? its an 07 and has really low mileage on it. its barely been used. the only thing i can see wrong with it is the steering is a small bit off.

i wasnt aware of the full charge of the nct, so you reckon it will work out cheaper if i just put it in, hope for the best and then get what needs to be done sorted afterwards if needs be?

you reckon thats a good idea? just throw it in as it is? its an 07 and has really low mileage on it. its barely been used. the only thing i can see wrong with it is the steering is a small bit off.

i wasnt aware of the full charge of the nct, so you reckon it will work out cheaper if i just put it in, hope for the best and then get what needs to be done sorted afterwards if needs be?

Definitly dude, before the mechanic even looks at it you'll have spent more then you would on the NCT, and even if it needs to be retested it'll be less the second time around (and you can tell the garage what you want them to do instead of them suggesting expensive jobs that do not require to be done). I've heard a lot of horrible stories of people spending upwards of €650 on pre nct's only to have the car fail on one of the basics in the test. Check your tyres before you bring it in for uneven wear and make sure they're properly inflated and not down to any of the wear markers.

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Definitly dude, before the mechanic even looks at it you'll have spent more then you would on the NCT, and even if it needs to be retested it'll be less the second time around (and you can tell the garage what you want them to do instead of them suggesting expensive jobs that do not require to be done). I've heard a lot of horrible stories of people spending upwards of €650 on pre nct's only to have the car fail on one of the basics in the test. Check your tyres before you bring it in for uneven wear and make sure they're properly inflated and not down to any of the wear markers.

gonna go for this insted then. cheers pal, easy to see how i get myself done out of money!!!

gonna go for this insted then. cheers pal, easy to see how i get myself done out of money!!!

No bother mate, best of luck with it, let us know how it fairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

If you know this is off then get it done before you head down for the NCT. There's a guy on the Coes Road Dundalk Alignment Centre or something like that (down beside McArdles the Truck DOE place). Just dwn the road a bit further than the NCT place. Well worth it even just to keep tyre wear in check. Got my own car down a while ago. €45.

didnt bother going for the service, didnt go for the wash either, just dropped it in to see how it faired and would you believe it..............................

passed first go! :D

Thanks for the info lads, saved me a fair few quid there anyway,

now, anyone interested in an 07 auris in immaculate condition and passed the nct with flying colours? :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

^ :D!

Glad it passed for you mate.

The NCT are getting stricter as a CLK230 I have failed on a cracked foglight (front) and the previous two tests this was not an issue.

I think it's fine to post details of your car in the motor section of boards - just double check with a mod first and defo throw an advert up on adverts.ie just be sensible with the price and it will sell!

Advertisement