Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a 125 starter that bad?

• 13-02-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Title says it all really. I'm of the bigger variety of person at 6'2" and 100kg+ and doing my theory test tomorrow, just looking at the different options out there for bikes at the moment.

A lot of people recommend 250's/400's (restricted) for the bigger learners. Admittedly I don't know much about them yet so looking for a little advice. Would it mainly be the acceleration and top speed that is the difference?

I am looking for a bike for mostly commuting and have been looking at cruiser style 125's for a couple of reasons - they are cheap and cheaper to insure, and easier to convince herself with! Probably better on fuel too? Or maybe that depends on the lug it has to pull around.

What would you recommend with a budget of 1000-1500? Commute will be roughly 25km round trip, no motorway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

A 125 would be no good as you would be bored of it in no time. If you/re that size, something like a restricted Hornet/Bandit 600 would do you. Or a SuperFour (CB400), the latter being a great all-rounder. Great for commuting, fun on the twisties and bulletproof engines. You'd get one of them handy enough for the money you said you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

I'm relatively new to biking, started off fiddling around with a friends 125, used a 125 for the IBT, didn't ride for about 5-6 months and bought a 600 bandit that i got restricted about a week afterwards.

So far i'm loving it as my first bike, it's not throttle restricted so i have all the fun i need up to about 10k revs, plenty until im fully used to the bike. Insurance on the restrictd bandit was 180 for first month and 70 a month after that for ten months, not too much altogether considering its my first bike and its nippy enough.

The only thing about getting a bigger first bike in my experience is the feckin weight of the thing. I only fully realised this when running out of petrol half way up a hill with a line of traffic behind me, having to jump off and push it up, all 280kgs of it. And again when i tried to get the side stand down on an oppositely slanted incline....the bike went past the point of no return in the opposite direction and there was no hope of me catching it and holding it up.

So so far the only problem ive had with starting on a bigger bike is really just the sheer weight of the thing. Other than that im happy motoring away on it!

Best o luck with your choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

One thing to bear in mind is that, assuming you're over 18 and have a category "A" learner permit, you won't be able to use a 125 for the driving test. Well you can, but you'll end up with an A1 license.

I'd say aim a little higher - you have the choice of something harmless like a CBF250, or the likes of a restricted Bandit 600 or SV650. And a few in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Im looking around aswell, did my IBT on a 400cc Kawasaki, lovely bike. I went pricing around and gave quinn a ring on a few restricted bikes and the fella on the phone basically said that after market restriction means f**k all to them and I couldn't get a quote, same with aon. Probably just my luck :D Have my eye on a Yamaha YBR 125 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Doylers wrote: »
    Im looking around aswell, did my IBT on a 400cc Kawasaki, lovely bike. I went pricing around and gave quinn a ring on a few restricted bikes and the fella on the phone basically said that after market restriction means f**k all to them and I couldn't get a quote, same with aon. Probably just my luck :D Have my eye on a Yamaha YBR 125 now

A proper FI International restriction kit, properly fitted and accompanied by a restriction certificate from a competent motorcycle mechanic, will do them just fine. This kind of nonsense is typical of Quinn - keep ringing them until you get someone on the line who has some idea what they're talking about! And failing that, call in in person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Well the way I am looking at it is to pick up a 125, get a years experience and no claims and then move up in the world. A €1000 125cc bike is going to be worth roughly the same in 12 months time so no major financial hit.

Even from the quinn website, I got a quote of about €450 for tpft on a 125cc Suzuki Intruder - now that is with a multi policy discount because I have my car insurance with them and also a quinn rider assessment level 1. Which I believe comes with most IBT's now?

Vikings wrote: »
    Well the way I am looking at it is to pick up a 125, get a years experience and no claims and then move up in the world. A €1000 125cc bike is going to be worth roughly the same in 12 months time so no major financial hit.

Even from the quinn website, I got a quote of about €450 for tpft on a 125cc Suzuki Intruder - now that is with a multi policy discount because I have my car insurance with them and also a quinn rider assessment level 1. Which I believe comes with most IBT's now?

No way your level 1 thats uber-advanced driving. I have a level 4, basically thats safe to drive, level 3 is driving test standard, 2 and 1 are epic standard. The assessment isnt included in the IBT for every person depends on your instuctor I think

Doylers wrote: »
    No way your level 1 thats uber-advanced driving. I have a level 4, basically thats safe to drive, level 3 is driving test standard, 2 and 1 are epic standard. The assessment isnt included in the IBT for every person depends on your instuctor I think

Woops - I just picked the first option on the quinn drop down. Assumed 1 would be the lowest and 4 the highest, thanks for pointing that out!

So the quote has jumped to €580. Down from €740 without one. I don't think either price is too bad for a first timer though! I was looking on the roadskill.ie website, they do a IBT for €350 for two people and include an assessment for quinn so I think that offers good value.

Probably have a better idea what kind of bike I would want after the IBT.

Woops - I just picked the first option on the quinn drop down. Assumed 1 would be the lowest and 4 the highest, thanks for pointing that out!

So the quote has jumped to €580. Down from €740 without one. I don't think either price is too bad for a first timer though! I was looking on the roadskill.ie website, they do a IBT for €350 for two people and include an assessment for quinn so I think that offers good value.

Probably have a better idea what kind of bike I would want after the IBT.

Yeah you still doing better than me anyway I haven't got below €700 on a quote yet :D I saw that but it will be hard when you on the road if you have two people of different skills. I paid €400 for my IBT one on one for it all including assessment ,bike and gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Reasons for getting a bigger engine restricted.

More comfortable drive.
    Wider tyres
    Better braking in general.
    Better acceleration at all speeds.
    Better motorway experience overall.

On a 650cc I paid 1200 first year, 700 second year, 400 third year and I got insurance for 350 this year with breakdown cover, insurance assessor for third party claims, open driving and the ability to have multiple bikes all in Dublin. I expect to see it drop with bikesafe and some Rospa stuff this year.

Level 1 assessment is possible only with a full license, level two is the max with a permit. If you listen its easy to get after a few short months of driving. Most of the people I've met with a Level four still don't get most of the concepts of safe driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

varadero xl125 might be worth a look in (tall bike)

I kept my 125 for about 18 months, and made quite a number of mistakes on it which would have been a bit worse had I been on a bigger heavier bike - but thats just my experience. Lost about 3-400 euro over ownership when I sold it, so did well imo.

Having said all that though, I would have kept a bigger bike longer, it was mainly the insurance reigning me in. I'd try and get the biggest bike you can afford to insure, and that you're comfortable with, weight wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd say that is a pretty sensible approach. I got a 125 Varadero in July 2008, and moved up to a SV650 after I'd passed my test (on a 250 cruiser :pac:). 125's are good to build your confidence and keep your feet on the ground, so to speak, while you learn the key skills.

That said, I put up serious mileage chugging along on the 125 from Dublin-Waterford-Dublin for a fair few months.

PS - I'm 6ft 3ins and was ~100kg at the time. Perfect fit for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would suggest something bigger than the 125 for all the reasons mentioned aboved. They seem great the first month but after that, you just keep becoming more aware of the limitations.

Appreciate the advice folks, first hurdle is up at 2 tomorrow with the theory test. I'll take my time try get an IBT done before deciding on a bike so I have a little experience to help me make a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

What kind of road is your commute on? If it's a national road you could be right up near the red-line on a 125cc cruiser just keeping up with traffic.
    As above, go for a bigger bike than a 125cc, your insurance should drop significantly when you get one years NCB so try play around a bit with quotes and see what your looking at after the initial year.

Well I winged the theory test today and paid the price so it gives me a little more time to make some decisions :pac:

My head is saying go 125 and be sensible but my head is starting to second guess itself after some of the stupid questions on that theory test so i'm keeping an open mind altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Go for a cheap 125. Sell it in 6 months when you get your licence and know more about what kind of bike you want. 6 months will fly by.

Go for a cheap 125. Sell it in 6 months when you get your licence and know more about what kind of bike you want. 6 months will fly by.

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jollylee

I'm just finishing up IBT and getting on the road for the first time too! I bought a restricted 2004 SV650S and absolutely love it. The power is totally manageable, its got good weather protection and doesn't feel like a bicycle either.

Its also a lot more stable in wind and follows cambers on the road less than the cb250 which I trained on due to it being bigger and heavier.

I couldn't recommend a restricted 600 enough. I'm 5'11 so you'll have no bother controlling a decent bike.

Honda's cbf500 can be bought for cheap money too. Hornets and Bandits are more expensive. Keep an eye on Donedeal and you'll get a bargain.

jollylee wrote: »
    I couldn't recommend a restricted 600 enough. I'm 5'11 so you'll have no bother controlling a decent bike.

Depends on the bike in fairness, anything with a throttle stop as a restriction is pretty miserable to ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Depends on the bike in fairness, anything with a throttle stop as a restriction is pretty miserable to ride.

Do Irish insurance companies even see that as a restriction?

Edit: I mean does it qualify in their eyes as a valid restrictor

Do Irish insurance companies even see that as a restriction?

Edit: I mean does it qualify in their eyes as a valid restrictor

Yes, some of the FI kits include a throttle stop along with washers in the airbox, you still get a cert and everything as with other ways of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Pointless getting a 125 as you'll still have to borrow a 250 for the test. I have a 125 and it was a pain getting another one for the day.

Grand I suppose if you know someone.

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Pointless getting a 125 as you'll still have to borrow a 250 for the test. I have a 125 and it was a pain getting another one for the day.

Grand I suppose if you know someone.

Not pointless. If you do a pre-test (I did mine with Aaron Rider Training) then they should provide you with a bike for the test.

Certainly not pointless getting a 125.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Not pointless. If you do a pre-test (I did mine with Aaron Rider Training) then they should provide you with a bike for the test.

Certainly not pointless getting a 125.

I suppose. I never did any training as such so I had no-one to borrow a bigger bike off. Even still a case can still be made with doing the test on the bike you do your daily driving on.

I take your point. Not pointless as such but I think there are better ways of doing it which I certainly would have done second time around.

Advertisement