Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new glasshouse & boxes

Options
  • 13-02-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I finally ordered my glasshouse - its a 10x6 leanto (from polydome) & will be in an excellent sun spot. :D.....Its probably going to be 8wks getting here though, so should I start somethings in trays indoors?

Also, does anyone have any experience of getting railway sleepers without cresote? or similar long chunky boards?

We've had a few boxes on the go over the last 5yrs using roofing timbers and want to 'beautify' them, I'm reluctant to use sleepers due to the tar but I like the chunky block look & they're less likely to rot away over time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Contact any builder providers/ timber merchants and they will be able to provide you with railway sleepers (less the creosote). :)

Where are you based?

If you need any help/ advice at all feel free and I hope it all works out to be what you hoped for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

All my beds are made from 'new' sleepers. They do add a very chunky feel to your beds and because of the size can be walked on without fear of breaking.

The thicker sleepers also help with insulating the soil in your beds.

Expect to pay approx €20 per sleeper. At this price check your measurements before you make any cuts !!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

Good advice there on the sleepers.

As to starting growing now, definitely make a start. You could get a lot of seeds into pots or modules in the house and have them ready to go in the minute your new greenhouse is erected. Just watch out that if your greenhouse is in a very sunny spot you will need to ventilate it very well to avoid scorching your plants on hot days. Hope it works out really well for you.

Advertisement