Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The economics of saving and selling turf

• 13-02-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi All
    I'm new here so dont know how boards work yet. Was I suppose to start a new forum?
    I'm interested in getting some figures off you. I used to do a lot of turf work years ago but got browned off of it! My Father has a bank of turf. When cut with the 7 sod machine there were 16 rows and I think about 160 yards long.
    So what does it cost to cut this turf with the machine with the big saw yoke on it? How many bags of turf should I expect to get off it? What would it sell for per bag? Its good quality dark brown turf. Basically I want to see if its worth the effort? We have a little massey tractor so easy enough to transport it. We also have storage facilities. Is cost of turf going up now with price of oil?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Moved to a new thread of its own.
    [/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Espoo wrote: »
    Hi All
    I'm new here so dont know how boards work yet. Was I suppose to start a new forum?
    I'm interested in getting some figures off you. I used to do a lot of turf work years ago but got browned off of it! My Father has a bank of turf. When cut with the 7 sod machine there were 16 rows and I think about 160 yards long.
    So what does it cost to cut this turf with the machine with the big saw yoke on it? How many bags of turf should I expect to get off it? What would it sell for per bag? Its good quality dark brown turf. Basically I want to see if its worth the effort? We have a little massey tractor so easy enough to transport it. We also have storage facilities. Is cost of turf going up now with price of oil?

Cheers
    I assume you mean a sausage machine. They are grand in some bog where the good stuff is at the surface but not in all. I think they go about 3 foot deep. If ye have a deep bog it's probably not the best to use cause the top foot will be sh**e and you will be mixing it with the good stuff. You would be throwing the top of it away if you were cutting with a hopper. Good black turf will make 3-4 euro a bag around here. It's good money but there's no guarantee of getting it and if the weather turns against you your workload could double. I tried it last year and didn't get it dry enough to sell so we kept it for ourselves. Taught I was going to make a quick buck but there is nothing easy about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

There's never been more turf in the country and every lad selling it, all to do with the idle hands in the economy and the black econmony too.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks Red
    No I was talking about the machine with the long blade. I think they must be about 8ft long?? This turf wouldnt be the real black stuff. More dark brown. Its cut off a high bank. It wouldnt break up as quick as the black stuff. I know the black turf is better alright if you manage to save it.
    Hard work for what you'd get back on it I guess. As mentioned everyone is getting in to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Is it long arm turf you are talking about ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Hello Moy
    I dont know an awful lot about turf other than the hard work. Long arm is a term I havent heard before? This turf is square in cross section. Its cut with tractor and long blade and squeezed out to form a square shape. Then there is a wheel at the back of the machine marking the turf in to sod lenghts. Its about 15 years now since I was on the bog. Is turf still cut this way? How much is it to
    cut per plot? and how much is a plot selling for in bags and/or trailer load.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bigmcm

Iv been saving for the last few years. d lad who cuts it has a 6 row sausage machine. it's e25 for a hopper (about 100 yards long). you get about 70 to 80 bags from a hopper line. this year was poor drying. ill be keeping it all until next year for sale. can't beat may evenings up in the bog. i love it but it drives evryone i know mad.

Advertisement