Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for house alarm system

• 13-02-2012 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Our house has just been renovated and our builders have put in the wiring for an alarm system. We have had a quote for installing an alarm system with six zones. I thought it was a bit high at €750 considering the wiring was already done :confused:. Monitoring is extra.

Can anyone p.m. me some recommendations for a more reasonable price or am I being unrealistic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

What exactly are you getting for that price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

What exactly are you getting for that price?

Keypad, magnetic contacts and enertia window and door sensors. Personal attack button at the door. No beams. As I said, Its already been pre-wired.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Seems reasonable enough. There should always be at least one beam on every system. Can you tell us what system you are getting and how many inertia sensors and contacts are on the system.
    You should always get at least 3 quotes and always ensure you compare like with like.
    Also ensure you are dealing with a licensed installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

Our house has just been renovated and our builders have put in the wiring for an alarm system. We have had a quote for installing an alarm system with six zones. I thought it was a bit high at €750 considering the wiring was already done :confused:. Monitoring is extra.

Can anyone p.m. me some recommendations for a more reasonable price or am I being unrealistic?

Without knowing how many windows and doors are being covered it is hard to know if you getting a good price or not. If you can provide this then we can give you a price range of what you should expect to pay.

What they said ^^ :D

• Advertisement

What they said ^^ :D

Better to know what he needs :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

We have had a quote for installing an alarm system with six zones.

I just noticed this. What system is he putting in ?
    8 or 10 zones would be the norm now.

Might just be the number of zones he needs.

altor wrote: »
    Better to know what he needs :D

I was just using what koolkid and yourself said so i didnt have to type ! :D :P

Just what i was thinking:D hmmmmmmm

• Advertisement

I would always split up the zones to make the best use of whats available,
    It gives the customer more options & makes finding problems much easier in the future.

Once its not an old spec panel hes getting like the Aritech CS350 or the HKC 6 zone panel

Once its not an old spec panel hes getting like the Aritech CS350 or the HKC 6 zone panel

In which case €750 is way too dear.:rolleyes:

The neighbour has a glitchy Aritech panel but its still going!

The neighbour has a glitchy Aritech panel but its still going!

Plenty of these system going strong. If maintained they will get plenty more years out of them. The sensors and cables uses cant keep up with the panel in some homes.

The cable to the pir must be bust..... The beam was changed but it still sets off the alarm the odd time... Apparently its the same prob as the old one

Double up the pair for the zone & bring them back as 1 single cable.

I never even hinted that i looked at it.... Your good :D

The cable to the pir must be bust..... The beam was changed but it still sets off the alarm the odd time... Apparently its the same prob as the old one

Not the PIR so :D

It only started to happen after the house was done up... At first i thought it was the paint that was covering the PIR.. But then i noticed that it was activating at the same time every day.. Checked the heating timer incase the wire moved onto a hot pipe.. But the time was well off.. Then there was the creepy idea of someone actually being in the house because it was empty at the same time every day( could be as i wasnt checking!) But since the beam was changed it randomly goes off (only when set)same sensor. But as i said it is a glitchy panel as when i put it into engineer mode it wiped itself of all settings( freak out moment!)

• Advertisement

Another process of elimination would be to swap the zones in the panel. Just to eliminate a problem with the input.

Tried that, re - wired everything. Zone one which was the front door was also the back windows tamper circuits, i think its time could be up

It only started to happen after the house was done up... At first i thought it was the paint that was covering the PIR.. But then i noticed that it was activating at the same time every day.. Checked the heating timer incase the wire moved onto a hot pipe.. But the time was well off.. Then there was the creepy idea of someone actually being in the house because it was empty at the same time every day( could be as i wasnt checking!) But since the beam was changed it randomly goes off (only when set)same sensor. But as i said it is a glitchy panel as when i put it into engineer mode it wiped itself of all settings( freak out moment!)

If the PIR is activating at the same time every day then it is an environmental issue. Try a dual tech ;)

no harm giving it a go. I could swap ... Buy a dual tech and swap .. I need another ID beam anyway... Like the idea of having plenty of beams! . Would there be anything against that?
    Would the panel defaulting its settings not be a cry for help?

I would be looking to solve this problem before replacing the panel.

no harm giving it a go. I could swap ... Buy a dual tech and swap .. I need another ID beam anyway... Like the idea of having plenty of beams! . Would there be anything against that?
    Would the panel defaulting its settings not be a cry for help?

The more the better once you can arm and disarm the system to get around the house. What do you mean by the panel defaulting its settings?

When i went to do a quick walk test( because of some vandlism ) . Checked all sensors . Left the menu then checked the arm settings and the beam tripped after it was part set... I never went near the zone menu and i didnt rush through the menus.i had to go back into zone attributes and turn back on ''PG'' this has happened twice

When i went to do a quick walk test( because of some vandlism ) . Checked all sensors . Left the menu then checked the arm settings and the beam tripped after it was part set... I never went near the zone menu and i didnt rush through the menus.i had to go back into zone attributes and turn back on ''PG'' this has happened twice

That is a strange one. Are you sure you did not press no when you exited the menu :rolleyes: :D

I went straight into walk test in maintenence tested the sensors then left engineer mode

• Advertisement

I went straight into walk test in maintenence tested the sensors then left engineer mode

Strange one then :eek:

Advertisement