Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate

Options
  • 13-02-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

(Maybe bad timing with Lent coming up)
    I like chocolate.
    A lot.
    So just thought I'd share my favaoutite places that do 'chocolate' things in Galway.

hot chocolate: the small place on Shop Street, next to HarryFitz. They do a lovely 'thick/Italian' chocolate.
    Bulters do a very nice hot cholocate too.

Does anyone know of anywhere else in Galway that do Italian hot chocolate? The G used to but changed ingredients so not as nice now.

Chocolate Fudge Cake: Milanos. For me it's the perfect chocolate cake: moist, loads of chocolate 'icing' and comes with ice cream and chocolate sauce (but I still ask for an extra scoop of ice cream and extra sauce). €6 or thereabouts

Chocolate Brownie: A bit outside the city but Treat cafe in Claregalway and Lackagh. Lovely, big slice and good value at €1.75.

I had to try the brownie in Gormet Tart Company; it's €3.30 (or thereabouts) but didn't do anything for me...

Anyone else have any chocolate recommendations?

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,987 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're on a serious budget, the Bellarom chocolate that Lidl do is amazing, and about E1.69 for five 40g packets.

(fantastic thread, btw).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I heart chocolate too..stocked up on those tesco cheapo offers recently on cadbury bars (which aren't real chocolate btw)

Are there any proper chocolatiers in town? I'd say there is a gap in the market for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Look in ALDI for the hexagon shaped box of truffles. We live on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's Butlers on Shop Street and the place inside the shopping centre, next to the escalators.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Banana Poblacht on Dominic St used to do the best Hot Chocolate in the World.

With bits of Galaxy bars floating in it.

I want one now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In the market most weekends there is an eastern European lady who makes the best brownies I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Lapin wrote: »

That place and their hot chocolate were great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Lapin wrote: »

I was never in banana phoblacht, although I found this facebook page homage to the place: the hot chocolates get a great mention alright!.
    So in what cafe do Galways alternative community hang out now!

I'm not a big consumer of chocolate cake or hot chocolate; however I really love how the small bars of Divine chocolate are now available in most shops around Galway.

Some of the "alternative" community used to hang out in the old Amnesty Cafe or Cafe Luna but they have both changed/closed now so I have no idea now. Javas sometimes perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

They're all hanging out at the top of Eyre Square now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Some of the "alternative" community used to hang out in the old Amnesty Cafe or Cafe Luna but they have both changed/closed now so I have no idea now. Javas sometimes perhaps?

I dunno now, all you have to do to be alternative these days is have a Chilli Peppers album. The real weirdos stay in the Burren Mount.

I supppose the chocolate muffins in Supermacs are fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Le Petit delice on main guard street have some really gorgeous in-house chocolates, they even have a display case where you can see their box of chocs, and the box is made of chocolate. I just love that café! Their coffee is seriously good too.

Second vote for gourmet tart, especially their chocolate praline slice, you will not find a more decadent chocolate cake for ~€3. It's the bees knees.

I remember bananaphoblacht so fondly, many's the happy teenage Saturday spent watching the world go by sipping the best hot chocolate known to Ireland. Only Java's mocha or hot choc comes a close second, only for the fact it still exists and they serve it in the same glass. For those that said they used galaxy chocolate, I don't think so, AFAIR it was Callebut.

Advertisement