Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems cancelling eircom account

Options
  • 13-02-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

A few weeks ago I got a phone call from an Eircom salesperson trying to get me to upgrade to the Next Generation Broadband.

During the call I was under the impression that my broadband speed would be significantly improved (I was currently getting a max of 4mb) due to a congested line. In addition I was told that my overall costs for line rental and broadband would reduce from my current package. I agreed to take the new package.

The following week I was seeing no improvement in my broadband speed, so I phoned 1901 to see if the change had been made. I was informed that it was and when I queried why my speed had not improved, I was told the maximum speed on the line was 4mb. The reason I had agreed to the change was that I had been convinced on that call that my speed would improve.

I was so unhappy about this that I did further research and found that I can get much higher speeds with UPC. Today I called Eircom to give my 30 days notice of cancellation and I was told that I'm under contract for 12 months (as a result of moving to the new package) and that I will have to pay €600 (approx) to break the contract.

I don't recall the salesperson mentioning anything to me about a new contract. Even if he did I didn't receive anything in writing (by email or post) with the terms and conditions, so that I could read through them and confirm that I agree.

At present I'm questioning the mentioning on the sales call of a new contract and also the fact that I was misinformed about my line speed increasing. The person I was dealing with said the call will be listened to and they will let me know if a contract was mentioned and if I was misled about improved line speed.

I have 2 questions.

1. Should I also have the opportunity to listen to the call recording? I would like to make my mind up if I was misled on the call

2. Is it right that I can be put into a new contract without getting a chance to read the terms and conditions? For example my wife recently was offered a new contract with 02 and she was sent the terms and conditions by email and given a 7 day period in which she could pull out of the contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I work for a phone company (not eircom) so i'll answer your questions for you

1. Yes you have every right to listen to the recording of the call.

2. Yes you can be put into a new contract without having to read through or sign anything because the call counts as a verbal agreement, but the agent on the other end of the phone has to make you aware of this. Tell them you want a copy of the recording posted to you and if they refuse then call comreg and get them to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

If someone from Eircom is reading this thread can they please advise on how I can get a copy of the recording so that I can listen to it.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Max Carroll

We have had ther same issue.

Have instructed my partner to cancel the direct debit and hopefully then when they realise there is no money coming in they will have to pick up the phone.

The Eircom service, and customer service seems to be particularly poor.
    The connectivity issues we had were prehistoric - 1 download live and you become unable to view a webpage. Constant/consistent drop offs/disconnects.

Crazy

NGN = next generation NOT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

We have had ther same issue.

Have instructed my partner to cancel the direct debit and hopefully then when they realise there is no money coming in they will have to pick up the phone.

The Eircom service, and customer service seems to be particularly poor.
    The connectivity issues we had were prehistoric - 1 download live and you become unable to view a webpage. Constant/consistent drop offs/disconnects.

Crazy

NGN = next generation NOT!

Hi Max Carroll,

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you. I have monitored the connection for the last couple of days and the broadband is syncing at the full 8MB to the main socket?

Broadband support have no record of calls made regarding disconnections or slow speeds. Our records also show the connection has been stable for weeks without disconnection.

What tpes of files are you downloading and are you downloading via wifi?

Thanks, Mark

Eircom, any feedback on my original post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

1. Yes you can request to have the call sent to you but you have to write off to do that.

2. Yes the calling will serve as a contract as long as they stated it on the call and you are aware of it but if it was misleading like"they guranteed you would get faster speed"(which the hardly do its always"UP" to ceartain speed) you can get out of due to the fact it was misleading you but if they dont mention that is actually speeds up your broadband then the contract stands
    Hope that helps

LT

1. Yes you can request to have the call sent to you but you have to write off to do that.

2. Yes the calling will serve as a contract as long as they stated it on the call and you are aware of it but if it was misleading like"they guranteed you would get faster speed"(which the hardly do its always"UP" to ceartain speed) you can get out of due to the fact it was misleading you but if they dont mention that is actually speeds up your broadband then the contract stands
    Hope that helps

LT

Thanks

Is a written request via email sufficient or does it require a letter to be posted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

DerryRed wrote: »
    Thanks

Is a written request via email sufficient or does it require a letter to be posted?

You have to write off for it,the agent you are speaking to will have the call listened to and will get back in touch with you when they have a result,if you were'nt informed they will cancel it for you over the phone but if they find out that you were informed and all is compliant they will let you know and how you request a copy of the transcript if you want:D

LT

A few weeks ago I got a phone call from an Eircom salesperson trying to get me to upgrade to the Next Generation Broadband.

During the call I was under the impression that my broadband speed would be significantly improved (I was currently getting a max of 4mb) due to a congested line. In addition I was told that my overall costs for line rental and broadband would reduce from my current package. I agreed to take the new package.

The following week I was seeing no improvement in my broadband speed, so I phoned 1901 to see if the change had been made. I was informed that it was and when I queried why my speed had not improved, I was told the maximum speed on the line was 4mb. The reason I had agreed to the change was that I had been convinced on that call that my speed would improve.

I was so unhappy about this that I did further research and found that I can get much higher speeds with UPC. Today I called Eircom to give my 30 days notice of cancellation and I was told that I'm under contract for 12 months (as a result of moving to the new package) and that I will have to pay €600 (approx) to break the contract.

I don't recall the salesperson mentioning anything to me about a new contract. Even if he did I didn't receive anything in writing (by email or post) with the terms and conditions, so that I could read through them and confirm that I agree.

At present I'm questioning the mentioning on the sales call of a new contract and also the fact that I was misinformed about my line speed increasing. The person I was dealing with said the call will be listened to and they will let me know if a contract was mentioned and if I was misled about improved line speed.

I have 2 questions.

1. Should I also have the opportunity to listen to the call recording? I would like to make my mind up if I was misled on the call

2. Is it right that I can be put into a new contract without getting a chance to read the terms and conditions? For example my wife recently was offered a new contract with 02 and she was sent the terms and conditions by email and given a 7 day period in which she could pull out of the contract.

Hi DerryRed,

Can you private message me with your eircom account number and I will look into the upgrade / contract query for you.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark. I've just posted a Private Message to you, with my Account details.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark. I've just posted a Private Message to you, with my Account details.

Hi DerryRed,

I got your details thanks I will look into it and get back you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Max Carroll,

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you. I have monitored the connection for the last couple of days and the broadband is syncing at the full 8MB to the main socket?

Broadband support have no record of calls made regarding disconnections or slow speeds. Our records also show the connection has been stable for weeks without disconnection.

What tpes of files are you downloading and are you downloading via wifi?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

Have been connecting via ethernet, via wireless, on multiple devices. Have been downloading various file types. The service simply wasnt good enough, or reliable. I didnt log any support calls as I do not want this type of service. To be honest I dont have time to spend contacting customer service lines for issues like this.

Can you advise on the process to cancel this account? We have rang the customer service twice, and have been advised we cannot, which is of course not true i am sure. It seems as if their retention policies are more important than anything else.

Could you also advise on where to send the equiptment to? I am happy to return it to Eircom.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Pádraig.

Hi Mark,

Have been connecting via ethernet, via wireless, on multiple devices. Have been downloading various file types. The service simply wasnt good enough, or reliable. I didnt log any support calls as I do not want this type of service. To be honest I dont have time to spend contacting customer service lines for issues like this.

Can you advise on the process to cancel this account? We have rang the customer service twice, and have been advised we cannot, which is of course not true i am sure. It seems as if their retention policies are more important than anything else.

Could you also advise on where to send the equiptment to? I am happy to return it to Eircom.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Pádraig.

Hi Pádraig,

I PM you back.

Thanks, Mark

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

For general information on how to access your personal data:

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Accessing_Your_Personal_Information/14.htm

I haven't got access to the recording of the sales call yet, but have been jogging my mind to recall details of the call.

I just remembered that I asked the salesperson if I would be able to revert back to my original package if I was not happy with the package I was moving on to. I'm 99% sure that he told me that I could.

Given I'm not happy with the package that I'm now on, I'm wondering if I will be entitled to revert back (in the spirit of the verbal agreement) and therefore will no longer be tied into a 12 month contract, as I'll still be on my original plan

I have 2 questions.

Hi DerryRed

I DM you there, get back to me with any follow up queries.

Thanks, Mark

Hi DerryRed

Thanks, Mark

I've just responded. Thanks

Just to let you know that the sales call recording was listen to and they discovered that the salesperson did not mention the new 12 month contract (when selling me a new price plan). Eircom are therefore waiving the contract and letting me cancel my account without paying a fine (for breaking the contract). :)

Just writing a letter now to give my 30 days notice.

Just to let you know that the sales call recording was listen to and they discovered that the salesperson did not mention the new 12 month contract (when selling me a new price plan). Eircom are therefore waiving the contract and letting me cancel my account without paying a fine (for breaking the contract). :)

Just writing a letter now to give my 30 days notice.

Hi DerryRed,

I sent you PM apologies for the delay in responding.

Thanks, Mark

Can you believe I am STILL trying to cancel this account?!

Despite numerous calls to various Eircom 'departments' and emails to 'cancellations' addresses I have had no joy and no response other than new bills.

Crazy stuff!

Max.

• Advertisement

Can you believe I am STILL trying to cancel this account?!

Despite numerous calls to various Eircom 'departments' and emails to 'cancellations' addresses I have had no joy and no response other than new bills.

Crazy stuff!

Max.

Hi Max Carroll,

I can confirm cancellations received your e-mail on the 13/03/12. I can confirm the account will be completly ceased on the 11/04/12 as per the 30 day process.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Max Carroll,

I can confirm cancellations received your e-mail on the 13/03/12. I can confirm the account will be completly ceased on the 11/04/12 as per the 30 day process.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

Im not sure if you can feed this back, or advise, but I consider the account cancelled 2 months ago. Also to my knowledge the direct debits were also cancelled some time ago.

Can you advise why it took two months to cancel the account and why I had to post online, on a 3rd party werbsite, to get any form of response?

Can you also advise where to send the equiptment as I am loathe to throw it in the bin as advised by someone in Eircom before.

Cheers

Hi Mark

Im not sure if you can feed this back, or advise, but I consider the account cancelled 2 months ago. Also to my knowledge the direct debits were also cancelled some time ago.

Can you advise why it took two months to cancel the account and why I had to post online, on a 3rd party werbsite, to get any form of response?

Can you also advise where to send the equiptment as I am loathe to throw it in the bin as advised by someone in Eircom before.

Cheers

Hi Max Carroll,

We have a record of a call to cancellations after you posted me on the 06/02/12, however they double checked the cancellation file and the first e-mail they received was on the 13/03/12.

They counld not process the cancellation without receiving a request in writing.

If you would be so kind as to send any equipment to:

Freepost,
    Cragg Ave,
    Clondalkin,
    Dublin 22

We'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thomaskane

Hi DerryRed

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

I recently returned to Eircom in the past 2weeks and got a 12 month contract.I have as off last week lost my Job, and i have to take drastic measures to save my House and have been told to cut bills,I know i dont have the money to pay any fines is there anything i can do ASAP

regards
    thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

thomaskane wrote: »
    Hi Mark

I recently returned to Eircom in the past 2weeks and got a 12 month contract.I have as off last week lost my Job, and i have to take drastic measures to save my House and have been told to cut bills,I know i dont have the money to pay any fines is there anything i can do ASAP

regards
    thomas

Hi thomas,

I'm sorry to hear this news. In order to help as quickly as possible you should call into eircom Credit Control on the number below:

1800203101 (Mon - Fri) 09:00 - 17:00.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thomaskane

Hi Ant

I Rang Credit Control Today As they were closed on Monday.They could do nothing for me, so they diverted me to a lady i didn't get her name but there is nothing they could do either other than tell me if i break my contract ill be billed for €530. I know i wont be able 2 keep up my payment with no money coming in i told her this but i dont understand why i couldn't cancel, I also rang Sky Tv today and told them my problem and they have offered my 3 months free sky and reduced my bill to €16 per month that's €4 per week. I am not looking for free phone or anything like that but freezing my bills for a few months would help or reducing them in Half till i find something. No Dole either and a Mortgage to pay If you can HELP I would be really grateful

Kind Regards

Thomas

thomaskane wrote: »
    Hi Ant

I Rang Credit Control Today As they were closed on Monday.They could do nothing for me, so they diverted me to a lady i didn't get her name but there is nothing they could do either other than tell me if i break my contract ill be billed for €530. I know i wont be able 2 keep up my payment with no money coming in i told her this but i dont understand why i couldn't cancel, I also rang Sky Tv today and told them my problem and they have offered my 3 months free sky and reduced my bill to €16 per month that's €4 per week. I am not looking for free phone or anything like that but freezing my bills for a few months would help or reducing them in Half till i find something. No Dole either and a Mortgage to pay If you can HELP I would be really grateful

Kind Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Can you PM me with your eircom account number so I can look into your account and final bill you received please.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement