Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon 'Chick' Deacy - RIP

Options
  • 13-02-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

http://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser
    The Galway Advertiser

Sad sad news about passing this morning of Galway soccer legend Eamonn "Chick" Deacy. Gentleman and a star. Our sympathies to his wife Mary, daughter Dawn, son Jake.
    A true legend. May he Rest In Peace.

https://astonvillatoday.wordpress.com/tag/12-eamon-deacy/

Eamon Deacy (born October 1, 1958) is a former professional footballer from Galway, Ireland. He is best known for being one of only 14 players used in Aston Villa‘s title-winning side of 1980/81.

He also played for Mervue United, Galway United, Sligo Rovers, Limerick F.C. and Derby County (on loan from Aston Villa). He won 4 caps for the Republic of Ireland national football team.

Eamon Deacy played 33 times for Aston Villa between 1979 – 1984 scoring just one goal from the Irish full-back.

Eamon Deacy was one of Villa’s famous 14 but was not awarded a champions winners medal as he had not played a certain amount of matches to gain one. the Villa players protested and threatend to send their medals back if Eamon didnt recive one, the players won and he recived his medal, he may have only played a handful of games but it shows what the players thought of him, and he’ll always be thought of highly at villa park.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

RIP, was a huge shock when I heard this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gerregan

Very sad news. I can confirm that he is indeed held in very high esteem by Villa fans of a certain vintage. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dodgygeezer

A lovely lovely man. Used to love going in to Ernie's when I lived in Galway. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Remember him playing for Glway Utd in the mid to late 80s - always a class act. RIP

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

David Kelly passed away the weekend also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Remember him playing for Glway Utd in the mid to late 80s - always a class act. RIP

A true legand , never heard anyone say a bad thing about him.RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

A true legend and gent, he will be sadly missed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RIP :(.
    A lovely lovely man.
    Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

RIP Chick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

RIP Chick :(

An over used word, legend, but Chick was truly a legend of Galway soccer, he'll be missed.

Only last month too he was awarded the Hall of Fame award in the Galway Sports Stars Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

R.I.P Chick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Stunned to hear this. So young. True gent. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

RIP to a Legend.
    Tribute from Ken McNaught here: http://mobile.avfc.co.uk
    0,,10265~10485441,00.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

A genius who graduated with distinction from the now defunct old school of football professionals. He was humble and honest. If you played against him, you knew you were playing against someone special. If you played with him, you knew that there was no place to hide.

It was a privilege to have seen him play on so many occasions in Terryland Park. He continued to support Galway United long after he stopped playing for them. The new grand stand at Terryland Park should be renamed in his honour.

This is a sad day for Galwegians all over the world. May he Rest in Peace and God bless his wife and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

A good friend of my fathers, sad news.

RIP Chick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

R.I.P... Was shocked to hear this earlier.. A true gent....
    Thoughts and prayers go out to his family....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

A lovely lovely man. Used to love going in to Ernie's when I lived in Galway. RIP

Is Ernie his brother or what? Or what's the link?

Also, never realised that his wife is Mary O Connor from the Galway Advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

What can be said about chick that hasn't already been said. Galways greatest ever football player IMO. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

RIP, a very sad loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

RIP

Huge loss to Galway. Everything that has been said about him show what a lovely fella he was.

"It seemed he was destined for the game. His mother Christina Molloy hailed from Terryland, and it was his grandfather who sold the land to the Galway FA that was to become Eamon’s “home” pitch for most of his life."

Massive crowd at his funeral:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0218/1224311978664.html

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Mullo

A Galway legend. RIP Chick.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Good article in yesterdays (Monday) Irish Times about Chicks funeral. Hope this link works.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0312/1224313153178.html

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

lovely article.still a huge shock and amazing how he touched so many peoples lives.galway's finest footballer and human being.get that stand in terryland named or name the whole stadium after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

GUST, in association with the Peter McVerry Trust and the family of the late Eamon "Chick" Deacy will launch their Euro 2012 merchandise in his honour next Tuesday, April 10th, at Monroes Tavern, Dominick Street, Galway (7.00pm). All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Galwaynews facebook page says there is a piece in Connacht Tribune tomorrow announcing that Terryland Park will be renamed Deacy Park in honour of the city and county's greatest ever footballer.

A fitting tribute to a wonderful professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Audio clips from the Keith Finnegan Show this morning when they discussed the renaming of Terryland.

Chick's brother Don spoke to Keith, along with Joe Keating of the Galway FA, who voted unanimously in favour of the renaming of Terryland Park.

Dave O'Connell of the Connacht Tribune speaks about it also.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

GUST, in association with the Peter McVerry Trust and the family of the late Eamon "Chick" Deacy will launch their Euro 2012 merchandise in his honour next Tuesday, April 10th, at Monroes Tavern, Dominick Street, Galway (7.00pm). All welcome.

There was a good crowd at the launch in Monroe's tonight. The gear can be bought online at http://www.galwaysoccer.com/p/shop.html

Advertisement