Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep routines

Options
  • 13-02-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Up until the last few nights, our 8 month old boy has been a great regular sleeper, usually going to bed about 10pm and getting up about 8:30am. He would of usually fell asleep on his own roughly same time every night. Last few nights he has been falling asleep before bedtime bottle but will wake for it about 9pm usually but once he has it he is wide awake again. He gets tired again but fights it til the death! Every time we try put him in his cot he is up crying his eyes out, it can be midnight when he goes asleep but now wakes during the night and ends up in with us........i know he is teething but he has 2 teeth already and he slept fine getting those........should we start stricter bedtime routine? What do other people do? Thanks. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Winnie, 10pm seems quite late for bed time for an 8 month old. I've only got my son as experience and I put him to bed at 7pm which some people would think is very early. At 8 months they're becoming more active during the day and get very tired so they need sleep. Perhaps he's overtired by 10pm. Its a long time from 8.30am-10pm. How many naps does he have during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

he has at least 3 naps during the day. We are going to start implenmenting a stricter bedtime routine from now on to get him to bed sooner. His last bottle is always about 9pm so he goes to bed after that.

He is asleep right now but usually wakes for his last bottle. If he doesnt wake himself we usually give him a gentle awakening! I think he may wake up middle of the night hungry if he doesnt have his 9pm bottle as he has always had it before bed.

I'd say you could go with two naps a day and move the 9pm bottle forward a bit so he could be in bed between 8-9. That's just my opinion based on my little fella but every family does it their way.

well we are hoping to start putting him down a bit earlier

• Advertisement

Also in reply to your last post, what would happen if he didn't have his 9pm bottle? Would he wake later in the night?

I think he would, he did before when he didnt have it plus because we are starting to reduce the amount of formula he has I would like to make sure that he has his last bottle of the night to be sure he is getting enough milk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You'll laugh at me winnie...our little guy is only 3 months and we've got him in a routine already lol....I'm like the Barbara woodhouse of bedtimes lol

Our 2 year old goes to bed at 7, always has done. We used to feed him his 11 o'clock bottle in his room, till he was old enough to do without it.

2 weeks ago we started with the little guy. He goes to bed at 8, so the first guy is well asleep and not running into him. He kicked up blue murder the first couple if nights but 2 weeks later he's pretty good at it.

I'd suggest cutting out one of the naps...give him a bottle around 7 and put him to bed.

thanks for all the advice guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I have a nine month old girl. The longest she will last is until 7.30. At about five months, she would sleep through till 8 a.m. the following morning. That lasted for about a month. Then she started waking around 5 a.m. and I would give her a bottle. I'll be honest and admit that this was the easy way out for me. She has been holding the bottle herself since about 5 months so I just handed her the bottle and got back into bed. About a month later she started sleeping through again. For the last week or so, she's been waking several times. Sometimes the soother will work, other times she gets a bottle to put her back to sleep (around 2 ounces as I know she's not hungry).

I'm putting it down to teeth. She has three already and I've noticed that she would be cranky for a few days before the tooth emerged but would be quite calm on the day it broke through.

I've spoken to a couple of friends with children around the age 2 mark and they all agree that the sleeping pattern didn't settle down until at least twelve months.

Advertisement