Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod touch digitiser repair that died the following day - refund or not?

Options
  • 13-02-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I had an iPod touch that needed the digitiser replaced (touch screen was unresponsive). Brought it into a repair shop in Cork, where they repaired it in an hour or two. It worked fine for the rest of the day, but the next morning, the screen became unresponsive again. I didn't get a chance to bring it back into the shop for about a month, but this was still well within the period of the warranty of the repair. I brought it back in, they said that it would be covered by the warranty and they would check the screen again. They're now saying that there is a problem with the motherboard, and the warranty is not valid.

My question is, am I entitled to a refund of the original repair? To me, it would seem that they weren't able to fix the original problem (since the repair lasted less than 24 hours), yet I was charged full price for it. Do I have any grounds to request money back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The fact that it took you a month to bring it back doesn't help. Did you call them up the next day when you discovered it not working?. Apple media devices use logic boards and not mother boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The fact that it took you a month to bring it back doesn't help. Did you call them up the next day when you discovered it not working?. Apple media devices use logic boards and not mother boards.

Apart from the name, whats the difference between a logic board and a mother board? It's a genuine question I always thought it was just Apple being well Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Gillo wrote: »
    Apart from the name, whats the difference between a logic board and a mother board? It's a genuine question I always thought it was just Apple being well Apple.

The terms get intermingled a lot, but technically on a motherboard the cpu is a seperate physical item, whereas on a logic board the cpu is physically wired to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Thanks for the reply. I didn't call them up, which in hindsight I should have. I suppose at this stage my best bet is to call into them and see what they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 OxiMoron

Is it a 32gb ipod touch 3rd gen? These are notorious for bad touch display drivers.
    the repair man will have seen that the digitizer was faulty and replaced it. If it worked after he replaced it then in effect he has done his job. He gave you a new screen and returned it working.
    It is conceivable that the display driver has failed after the repair in which case you can't really blame the repairman. After all, he has used his stock and spent time on the repair.

I would say if it failed immediately then you should ahve gone back the next day, but the fact that it worked after installation means that you received it back in working condition.

the alternative is that he removes his new digitizer, replaces your old one and refunds you but keep in mind that he will be unable to sell that digitizer to anyone else as it will have signs of usage.

My 2 cents, sell it on ebay and move on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement