Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Help. (Ordinary Level)

• 13-02-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So I've been going over every other subject, attempting to get my weak points out of the way and someone has just informed me that Irish has a revised syllabus this year, I'm doing the leaving cert externally so I had no other way of finding out.

Could someone please outline what exactly has changed?

I thought maths was the only syllabus that was revised.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

I'm not exactly sure what the previous years had but I know 'Stair na Gaeilge' or whatever it was is gone. Our oral is 40% now, I think it was 20% before.. We have to learn 5 prós and 5 poems, and 1 additional literature(Don't think that's needed for Ord. Level though..) This shows more about the syllabus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

For both Ordinary and Higher level there are 20 picture sequences each year that students have to learn, and must describe the one the examiner chooses at random in the oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverfinished

Instead of reading five extracts from prose for the oral you now read one of the five poems on the course. There 20 picture sequences one of which will come up on the day of the oral. This years 5 poems are Geibheann, An Spailpin Fanach, Mo Ghra-sa (idir luibini), Colscaradh and An tEarrach Thiar. The 5 stories are Oisin i dTir na nOg, An Gnathrud or Seal i Nepal, Hurlamaboc, Caca Milis (film) or Lasair Coille and Dis. The reading comprehensions are now on paper 2, there are only 3 sections of tape and you may be asked to write an email instead of a letter

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kaeb

Jesus christ this sounds waaaay more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Yeah it is. There's no choice either in the poems or the prose paper 2. Feckin' disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 neverfinished

If you are a good talker and have prepared the picture sequences its not that bad really as it's a potential 40 per cent and the marks for prose and poetry has gone down to reflect this

I'm an external student so I don't currently have access to any of those picture sequences or any other information, can anyone help me out in that regard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Kaeb wrote: »
    I'm an external student so I don't currently have access to any of those picture sequences or any other information, can anyone help me out in that regard?

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/Gaeilge-Shraith_Pictiur_2012.pdf

Enjoy!

If you are a good talker and have prepared the picture sequences its not that bad really as it's a potential 40 per cent and the marks for prose and poetry has gone down to reflect this

Yeah I agree, I think it's better to emphasize the speaking side of irish rather than writing everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Also about the picture sequences - you should be able to say at least 3 things about each picture, and I don't know if it's the same for OL, but in HL we have to be able to pose about 3 questions to the examiner about the pictures. Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

Here's the first in a series of videos to give some basic help with the picture sequences from the Irish oral.
    Hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I go to an Irish medium secondary school so I should be able to answer any questions about this.

Does anybody have any notes or anything that could help me out here?

I don't even have all the prose or poetry, again. External student.

Kaeb wrote: »
    Does anybody have any notes or anything that could help me out here?

I don't even have all the prose or poetry, again. External student.

Just wondering what have you been learning for Irish so far? Maybe you should check out the Less Stress book for Irish, I'm sure it has all the notes you need for each!

Advertisement