Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POD Complex has Closed - (Tripod & Crawdaddy)

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

POD Complex Closed - ie. Tripod &Crawdaddy

Sad news over the weekend that we will now have a few less venue options in Dublin for the smaller gig promoter.

Thus will we find once again, less & less of those artists coming to Dublin who can't fill the Vicar Street and Olymipa sized venues ?

Comments

Crawdaddy held 200 (at a rough guess)
    Tripod held 900 (again, a rough guess)

Which leaves
    Whelans (350 - including upstairs)
    Grand Social (250 - rough guess)
    Mercantile (150-200)
    They're off the top of my head, can't think of any more

Not a lot of options there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Tripod had a 1300 capacity according to their listings......

there's also The Pint now at 250

but yeah any loss of venues is pretty crap for everything and one....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Workman's Club would hold similar to Crawdaddy i'd think.
    Lost Society maybe slightly less, 150-200?
    Twisted Pepper would probably be about 300 in the stage room, about 200 in the downstairs dj room.

Academy probably holds around the same as Tripod.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Workman's Club would hold similar to Crawdaddy i'd think.
    Lost Society maybe slightly less, 150-200?
    Twisted Pepper would probably be about 300 in the stage room, about 200 in the downstairs dj room.

Academy probably holds around the same as Tripod.

Academy is about 800 while Tripod was about 1000ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Sad news I guess. I haven't been there in a long time but I guess it was one of the better places in Dublin.

We still got TP though, which IMO is a great spot. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 theboyqwerty

Tripod was 1350. Crawdaddy was 250/300 depending on the balcony being open. POD was 350 and the lobby bar held 200. A big loss to Dublin clubbing. Let's hope that whoever opens it now and runs it does a good job. However I don't know if it's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Is there a source for this?

no, just did shows in there myself so know the figures

I meant a source stating that the POD complex has closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

honru wrote: »
    Is there a source for this?

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/entertainment-news/crawdaddy-tripod-and-odeon-shut-up-shop-new-nightclub-planned-to-rival-coppers-0020895-1
    According to reports by the Irish Times and Nialler9.com, the Harcourt St building has been leased to the group behind Flannery's Pub and will become one massive nightclub. It's location at the top of Harcourt St would be in the perfect place to rival Copperface Jacks.

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Tripod-Crawdaddy-The-Lower-Deck-venues-close-down/101559.htm
    It is believed that the POD complex will be renovated into a single large-scale nightclub to accompany the nearby Copper Face Jack's and Krystle and will be run by the management company who look after Flannery's assets.

• Advertisement

Sorry. Nothing official such as a press release has been issued, however it is a fact that it's over. It's stated on the facebook also

It's all rumors about a new club to rival coppers etc.

Here's the new POD Dance page

https://www.facebook.com/PODDance

Here's the new POD Dance Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PODDance

That's really really lame, Tripod is a great live venue. The concert slate in the complex is pretty much clear as well beyond two Crawdaddy gigs that will probably move to other venues.

I did get the feeling that the complex was trying to do so many things at once without finding a steady ground. I think MCD have succeeded well with The Academy. I guess there was a sign of things to come when POD ran in to trouble last year.

Also... Lower Deck gone too? Damn...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

do they still run Electric picnic ? i think i remember they sold it to who ever does P'Oxygen ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

the_syco wrote: »
    According to reports by the Irish Times and Nialler9.com, the Harcourt St building has been leased to the group behind Flannery's Pub and will become one massive nightclub. It's location at the top of Harcourt St would be in the perfect place to rival Copperface Jacks.

It is believed that the POD complex will be renovated into a single large-scale nightclub to accompany the nearby Copper Face Jack's and Krystle and will be run by the management company who look after Flannery's assets.

Oh god...

What about ALT? (Andrews Lane Theatre) That's pretty big isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Is that still open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Andrew's Lane has a dreadful sound system though, well it did last time I was there anyway.

Really gonna miss POD and Crawdaddy, had some really great nights in there over the past few years. Some memorable gigs in Tripod too :(

Academy capacity is 850, Olympia just shy of 2k I think but has far too many seats for a lot of gigs. Dublin badly needs a decent venue in between these and the o2. Even the Ambassador I quite liked, would be good to see that back as a music venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Jello wrote: »
    Olympia just shy of 2k I think but has far too many seats for a lot of gigs.

It thought it was like 1,200 with the seat's up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Andrew's Lane has a dreadful sound system though, well it did last time I was there anyway.

Really gonna miss POD and Crawdaddy, had some really great nights in there over the past few years. Some memorable gigs in Tripod too :(

Academy capacity is 850, Olympia just shy of 2k I think but has far too many seats for a lot of gigs. Dublin badly needs a decent venue in between these and the o2. Even the Ambassador I quite liked, would be good to see that back as a music venue.
    It thought it was like 1,200 with the seat's up?

Olympia is 1,200 as a Standing venue and 850 or so all seated

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

NIBBS wrote: »

there's also The Pint now at 250

maybe if you took out the few seats upstairs and knocked down a few walls and built an extension and added all the people that were downstairs and in the smoking room upstairs !!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

so the word is out !!!!

heard a very strong rumor that it will become part of the wright venue chain ,its a perfect place for it aswell and makes sense !!! they are turning it into one big club ,should be interesting!!

i was absolutely gutted when i heard that this was closing,iv been going to crawdaddy for ages now and seen a lot of people play there , met a few good friends there aswell!!! such a shame as there are no other places like craw-daddy and tripod,

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AaronPunk

Doesn't the Tivoli have a downstairs venue? Or I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mr.S wrote: »

Apparently the complex is being turned into a huge girlo club, ala Wright Venue. Which is obviously going to be awful.

Which, if true, will kill off there own Airside venue, they rely on a large number of people coming from town to keep it going, if they have the same sorta choice but in town then the Airside one will be fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Was only ever there once for a (terrible) clubnight, I don't think it's set up for gigs really, seeing as it's spread over a few different rooms. I've never heard of gigs there, have bands played there before?

Academy capacity is 850

Only when the balcony bit is open though. Sometimes they leave that for the bands and only open the floor (pit + bar) which is only around 650 according to the sign behind the bar. =/

Mr.S wrote: »
    Apparently the complex is being turned into a huge girlo club, ala Wright Venue. Which is obviously going to be awful.

That's depressing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Damn it that is sad, was at some great gigs there since it opened, had a great sound system, we need more live venues not clubs.

Advertisement