Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

being asked to sign a new contract

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Quick question..
    Since going back to college I have gone from full time work to part time hours (approx 12-15 hours pw)

My existing contract was for 21 hours pw.
    As I am now only available for 12-15 , my manager says I have to sign a new part-time contract for 8 hours pw.

I don't know why, and I'm not inferring underhanded tactics on her behalf, but for some reason I am reluctant to sign a part-time contract.

I work these shortened hours of my own volition. Am I legally obliged to sign the part-time contract?

.....(wasn't sure if this should go in Legal Discussion or work problems)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well if I was your employer, I'd be wanting the contract paperwork tidied up: if you still had a contract that says full-time on it, then I'd be scared that you were going to hit me with some case about changing your hours without cause, or similar, even though verbally we agreed you could work for shorter hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The other side of the coin is that your current contract states that you are available for 21 hours, if you are unable to do your contracted hours they could dismiss you for that.

Its more tidying up loose ends then anything else, you cant have it both ways.

Advertisement