Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Resume

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Afternoon one and all,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for some time. I'm heading to Melbourne in a few months time so I'm beginning to keep my eyes open for IT work on the usual sites like Seek and to a lesser extent, Gumtree. I'm a software tester 'by trade' with four years experience. Has anyone on here got experience with writing an Australian Resume for a software testing role in Oz? Some helpful tips, pointers, links to templates etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

LT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Are you going on a whv?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Pretty much the same as a Irish CV, but leave out all the useless Ireland only info (like went to school in St Blah's school)

If you are going through an agency they will strip out your CV anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LongTail

Thanks Hussey.

Yea I'm going on a WHV. I take it that will hold me back somewhat?

From the impression i get i think it will, thats not to say you wont get lucky though!

For anyone on the WHV, do you put visa status on your CV or leave it blank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

zweton wrote: »
    For anyone on the WHV, do you put visa status on your CV or leave it blank?
    Put it on, it's usually the first question asked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

hussey wrote: »
    Put it on, it's usually the first question asked anyway.
    +1
    there's no avoiding the issue. Going directly to companies, they're usually looking for someone they can demoralise employ for years, not months. They want to see a return for the effort of hiring and training you. You can best circumvent any reluctance to hire by just going through agencies who will contract you out for jobs that often last less than 6 months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LongTail

Cheers folks.

Advertisement