Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New connection ESB and Water

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi All

I am currently in the planning phase of a new build.

I was just wondering if anyone could offer information regarding

1. cost of ESB connection (who wont talk to me without full planning!) and

2. cost of connection to water mains

The site is located in Donegal and is 250metres from the main road (along which runs the required water and electric supply). I presume the council charges cover the cost of connecting to wate main but was wondering what the cost of providing 250m of pipe to the house would be (I presume they dont cover that?)

Thanks

Bombadil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

bombadil wrote: »
    I presume the council charges cover the cost of connecting to wate main but was wondering what the cost of providing 250m of pipe to the house would be (I presume they dont cover that?)

Err wrong. We thought the same thing until we were asked for 2k for water connection on top of council fee's. We dealt with Carlow Coco. On the fees you make a contribution for water, but it ommits the fact you have to pay to connect to it. I am guessing DL is the same but a simple phonecall to their water dept will clarify. Dont know about the 250m part.

ESB is basically €1800 for 12kva (which is most house's) and €2400 for 16kva.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Who is doing your planning, they should have an idea of who is supplying the water. If its a rural site it could well be a group water scheme, if this is the case you will have to get letter from them saying you can join the scheme and they will give you a connection. You normally have to pay for this to get the letter and it varies around the country for a few hundred to a few thousand euros. My scheme is currently 1500.

If you are connected to a Local Authority water supply the good news is you dont have to pay to join it before planning, you have to pay whatever local contribution they have set in the contribution scheme (muffler will know what it is for Donegal)

ESB is a set basic charge, but if they have to put in extra poles and lines the will charge you for it!!

With your site being 250m from the road you will most likely have to pay for the watermain to be laid inculdi9ng road crossings if its the other side of the road and extra poles etc for the esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi All

The site is located in Donegal and is 250metres from the main road (along which runs the required water and electric supply). I presume the council charges cover the cost of connecting to wate main but was wondering what the cost of providing 250m of pipe to the house would be (I presume they dont cover that?)

Thanks

Bombadil
    The ESB connection fee is somewhere around €1600. This is for a standard domestic supply and covers the cost of up to 3 additional poles. If your planning application is curently being processed Id suggest you complete the forms in any event and include your planning reference number. However if they insist on a copy of the planning permission then you will have to wait until same has been granted.

Im not sure on the exact cost of the water connection but I think its in the region of €300. You will be charged another couple of hundred if you have to open the road. If the mains is part of a Group Water Supply Scheme then things are a little different. Application form for water connection and/or road opening can be downloaded here

If the mains is a public/council supply then you will be liable for development contributions which will be detailed on your planning permission if and when granted. There are 3 different rates of contributions which are based on the size of the house. See here for a link to the current rates (2008 - 2012) and also the same link will show details of reductions applicable if connecting to a group water scheme.

You will have to pay the cost of taking the water from the mains to your own site unless there were other houses located between your site and the mains which are currently on "long leads". In this situation the council have been known to insist on a 100mm pipe to be laid with other houses then connecting to it. They will, at times, supply the 100mm (4 inch) piping but you are responsible for laying it.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

ESB cost me €1807. Still waiting on cost of water connection which is extra on top of the development charges (~€4700) which so happens to include and large sum for "water". I was rather annoyed when I found that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

I was charged €2000 to get connected.

No poles needed. Transformer is going on pole next to house.

• Advertisement

Just to point out that the "standard" ESB connection fee will be the same regardless of where you are in the country. However the cost to connect to the water mains and the amount of development contributons will vary immensely from county to county.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

The councils 'water charge' doesn't include connecting to the water supply or the water (whcih will be metered before too long!).. work that one out!

Thanks to all for your informative and helpful contributions... I have a much better idea now of what may be involved!

bombadil

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but my question relates to ESB connection fees.

I demolished a house two months ago and had the electricity disconnected just before doing so (E80 for this!). I am currently building a new house on the site. When I get the new house connected can anyone advise me if I should apply for a reconnection or a new connection?
    The account will be under the same name and address as the house that was disconnected and I presume the power will come from the same pole as before.

Appreciate anyone's opinion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but my question relates to ESB connection fees.

I demolished a house two months ago and had the electricity disconnected just before doing so (E80 for this!). I am currently building a new house on the site. When I get the new house connected can anyone advise me if I should apply for a reconnection or a new connection?
    The account will be under the same name and address as the house that was disconnected and I presume the power will come from the same pole as before.

I would guess ask for a reconnection, as it surely is cheaper than the 1794 for a new connection. Worst they can say is no.

Right, I have been in touch with one of the reps over on the "Electric Ireland talk to" forum who was very helpful and she has passed on these links.

ESB Networks is for both domestic and business customers.

Residential Energy Services and Business Energy Services provide some very useful information including contact details etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Thanks Muffler!

Thanks Muffler!
    No problem. We aim to please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

€1794 was what we paid 7 weeks ago for 12kva standard connection, and was told that if we wanted to upgrade to 16kva connection it would be €2400. They have put up 2 poles there 10 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duffman21

Just wondering if anybody has got a water & esb connection recently in the Fingal area , If so what were the prices.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Further to my previous post water connection is going to cost €523 after deposit refunds. Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 10 castleside

standard ESB Connection e1800 approx, you have to do the ducting yourself . pipes and pay a digger to dig trench at least 600mm deep be sure to use ESB warning tape around pipes and keep a record of trench location for future safety . also when your building blocks install the meter box in correct location , think its max 2ms of front wall .

connection to our group water scheme is an astonishing e2000 its really unfair as other GWS are like 1000 and the council is around that .plus we have to pay for water pipes and dig trenchs guessing thats another e1000. makes you wonder whats the 2k for ?
    also note if your water main needs to cross a public road , theres the option of boring under road , costs approx 300 , council would want 2k to dig up road .

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

duffman21 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has got a water & esb connection recently in the Fingal area , If so what were the prices.

Thanks
    I have been quoted 2400 euro for a new connection for 16kv and 1800 for a 12kv connection last week by esb networks. In Fingal area and no new pole needed.
    If your disconnected for longer than 2 years they treat it as a brand new connection using the prices quoted above. If you are under the 2 yrs then it's 400 for a reconnection. A temperory supply is -get this- DOUBLE the prices quoted as they want to discourage this practice. So for temporary builders supply for 16 kv you could be looking at 4800 euro for power even without a pole needed. It's a joke! Rip off ireland is alive and well and living I the CER office !
    Get this too, when we are finished with the meter for the build and we want to have it inside the house we have to pay 400 quid again having already paid 2400!
    We have been disconnected a few weeks over the 2 yrs mark and are getting stung with these kinds of bills. It's sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fergusgs

Hi,

We have just bought a house that has been derelict for 3 years and we were told it had an electricity supply, but we have just found out the supply (the wires running to the house) have been removed.
    There is a post just outside our property but 30m or so from the house with a transformer on it that has supplies running to nearby houses.
    So does anybody know approx. how much they are likely to charge us to run a cable and connect it up?
    Will the €1800 they quote as a minimum cost for a new supply cover the cables and work they will do? I know we have to dig the trench etc.
    Thanks very much

fergusgs wrote: »
    Hi,

We have just bought a house that has been derelict for 3 years and we were told it had an electricity supply, but we have just found out the supply (the wires running to the house) have been removed.
    There is a post just outside our property but 30m or so from the house with a transformer on it that has supplies running to nearby houses.
    So does anybody know approx. how much they are likely to charge us to run a cable and connect it up?
    Will the €1800 they quote as a minimum cost for a new supply cover the cables and work they will do? I know we have to dig the trench etc.
    Thanks very much
    I would imagine the standard fee will cover all. They will probably run new cables from the pole with the transformer to the pole outside your house if Im reading your post correctly. It will be up to you to provide the ducting inside your own property.

If its an old house the cables probably ran overhead from the pole to the house but cabling nowadays must be underground inside your property

See this post further back for a couple of useful links

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Hi - may I ask how you got on with this? I'm in the same boat as you -not sure what the charges are, I'm guessing they'll charge the same as a new connection eventhough it's just to reconnect to a new house. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Hi - may I ask how you got on with this? I'm in the same boat as you -not sure what the charges are, I'm guessing they'll charge the same as a new connection eventhough it's just to reconnect to a new house. Thanks!

I have no news yet I'm afraid. Building work still going on at the moment so ESB connection is still a while away yet. But I have already resigned myself to paying for the new connection. It is Ireland after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Captain Bligh

has to be new connection, new house, new wire, new cert.

is your metre box as per regs

so 1800 and about 400 for cert. they also will want your planning details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Captain Bligh

Hi All

Thanks

Bombadil

its going to cost more that 2k depending where the last pole is. many houses near you built in the last few years (20yrs)

drill a well. i did recently in anticipation of the charges coming in the pipe line [pun] and the then surely elevated well drilling costs. it well pay for itself [sorry]

also incudently the mains has a very very nasty additive in it. im sure everybody knows this.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

If connection fee is 2k for transformer and up to 3 poles how much is every additional pole and what's the required distance between poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Is there any obligation to join the councils mains supply once you've been granted planning permission. Can you just go ahead and drill your own well on site. Do you still have to pay the planning fee water charges.

hexosan wrote: »
    Is there any obligation to join the councils mains supply once you've been granted planning permission. Can you just go ahead and drill your own well on site. Do you still have to pay the planning fee water charges.
    If you have shown a proposed connection from the mains supply then the council will look for the full payment of the development contributions conditioned on your permission regardless of where you get your supply from.

There might be a chance that you could have that part of the contributions in respect of water supply waived if you use a well/bore hole but you will need to apply for planning permission to provide your water supply from an alternative source. In saying all that there is still a strong possibility that you will have to pay the full development contributions as the public water supply is there for you to avail of.

It seems to vary around the country so you would be better off asking in your local planning dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Thanks muffler, next question. When is the correct time to apply to the ESB about your new connection. Should you apply straight away she you begin construction or should you wait until you are further along in the build.

hexosan wrote: »
    Thanks muffler, next question. When is the correct time to apply to the ESB about your new connection. Should you apply straight away she you begin construction or should you wait until you are further along in the build.
    All depends on the duration of the build. They can take 3 months or more from first contact to power on so I would apply now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Damokc

Digging up an oldish thread here but whats the going rate for connection fee these days?

Advertisement