Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Built-in/fitted wardrobes needed, Galway

Options
  • 13-02-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, I tried posting this in the interior design but no replies, so I thought this forum (and in the DIY) may be able to help me...

I'm looking to get built-in/fitted wardrobes in two bedrooms, both would need, I'm guessing, 3 hinged doors.

I'd like to have floor to ceiling with a full body/carcass with a simple rail and top shelf with single shelf column in each. I would prefer to have hinged rather than sliding doors but it will come down to price.

Can anyone recommend where to go for this in Galway? carpenters/companies etc. Also, any ideas on what I should/could be paying would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Roughly €120-150 per foot, so a 6' wardrobe would cost between €720-900. May be more depending on what kind of doors you need. This price would be for a wardrobe with foil/vinyl wrapped doors.
    Sorry, also wanted to add, it also depends on the finish of the carcasses whether you would be ok with beige/white chipboard or melamined chipboard in oak, cherry or another wood finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

woodturner wrote: »
    Roughly €120-150 per foot, so a 6' wardrobe would cost between €720-900.

What are you quoting there.. Gold Plated??? :rolleyes:

That's the most overpriced and ridiculous estimate I've ever heard and with so many highly skilled carpenters out of work you could get an excellent job done for at least half that but still nice to see some people living with the "Boom Years" mentality.

thisNthat wrote: »
    woodturner wrote: »
    Roughly €120-150 per foot, so a 6' wardrobe would cost between €720-900.

That's the most overpriced and ridiculous estimate I've ever heard and with so many highly skilled carpenters out of work you could get an excellent job done for at least half that but still nice to see some people living with the "Boom Years" mentality.

And are you working for the price of materials only and not making any profit. Anyone on the dole doing the job on the black market are not paying taxes!

Full length plain doors without any glass or mirror are the guts of €60 each so there's €180, you will need at least 4 a 5 sheets (not including backs) of 18mm mdf at roughly €30 a sheet for plain white. That's another €120 - €150. A roll of edging to match the doors €25 ish. Then a box of screws €20 depending on what brand you buy.

So say roughly €375 for materials and that's not even including the cost of the backs, hanging rails, a plinth or kitchen feet to level the wardrobe, hinges and handles.

Not even including the cost of diesel to collect the materials, doing a survey and fitting costs as well.

So please tell me how it can be done any cheaper than €720 - €900 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Labour and Materials for half that? :eek:
    Sounds like crap materials and a crap standard.

• Advertisement

If you have some time on your hands go and price the materials.

galwayrush wrote: »

Labour and Materials for half that? :eek:
    Sounds like crap materials and a crap standard.

Sounds worse than that. Sound like it would be made from cardboard if someone made if for less than half that. :-(

I'm still so confused. How does it seem overpriced, honestly? What planet are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

And are you working for the price of materials only and not making any profit. Anyone on the dole doing the job on the black market are not paying taxes!

Full length plain doors without any glass or mirror are the guts of €60 each so there's €180, you will need at least 4 a 5 sheets (not including backs) of 18mm mdf at roughly €30 a sheet for plain white. That's another €120 - €150. A roll of edging to match the doors €25 ish. Then a box of screws €20 depending on what brand you buy.

So say roughly €375 for materials and that's not even including the cost of the backs, hanging rails, a plinth or kitchen feet to level the wardrobe, hinges and handles.

Not even including the cost of diesel to collect the materials, doing a survey and fitting costs as well.

So please tell me how it can be done any cheaper than €720 - €900 ?

and add operating costs,
    rent esb,rates,phone, insurance,bin charges,financing,accountant,maintanence etc.

fm wrote: »

and add operating costs,
    rent esb,rates,phone, insurance,bin charges,financing,accountant,maintanence etc.

Excatly! It can't be done. Everything needs to be paid along with making a few quid to keep the household bills paid as well.

• Advertisement

and add operating costs,

Ha Ha Ha your kidding right??? Your fitting a wardrobe not building a housing estate :rolleyes:

Shur what about new wheels for the BMW,
    Extra cash to finance the second house and the wife could do with a new car,
    And the 50 inch LCD TV in the bedroom could do with an upgrade,
    I mean who's gonna pay for that :rolleyes:

Yr all living in the past boys but no doubt you'll fine some gombine who'll believe yr "Boom years" mentality attitude so fair play to ye!!

Were ye front row at the Árd Fheis of Fianna Fáil??

Keep talking the talk boys ;)

and add operating costs,

Ha Ha Ha your kidding right??? Your fitting a wardrobe not building a housing estate :rolleyes:

Shur what about new wheels for the BMW,
    Extra cash to finance the second house and the wife could do with a new car,
    And the 50 inch LCD TV in the bedroom could do with an upgrade,
    I mean who's gonna pay for that :rolleyes:

Yr all living in the past boys but no doubt you'll fine some gombine who's believe yr "Boom years" mentality attitude so fair play to ye!!

Where were ye sitting at the Árd Fheis of Fianna Fáil?? Front row I'd say...

Keep talking the talk boys ;)

Well let's see your price list for the complete selection of materials needed to make a 6 foot wardrobe including every detail down to the handles, diesel, insurance, the electricity cost to manufacture them, van tax, van insurance.

So you have no overheads at all do you? Do you carry it all on your back from the builders yard to the site? And cut it all with a handsaw that will eventually need to be replaced or sharpened depending on what kind of handsaw you have? Oh wait actually there is an overhead! The handsaw that will eventually need replacing or sharpened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ikea for the win here.

Their range of wardrobes (normal doors and sliding doors) is the mutts nutts and very well priced.

You can make up so many combinations with them too.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ikea for the win here.

Their range of wardrobes (normal doors and sliding doors) is the mutts nutts and very well priced.

And there ya go mass production throwing out thousands of them everyday and the the end result is something far less nice to look at compared to custom wardrobes that have fillers etc. that make it look part of the wall rather than ikea ones leaving gaps everywhere around them!

Ikea is cheap caus they don't care how long it takes until it falls apart. I mean would you buy your stairs from there or get a proper made one that will be made to suit site condutions where your joinery will actually care about there craft where the ikea assembly people havnt spent thousands of hours perfecting their trade and skill don't care once it's gone past their station?

Ikea for the win here.

Cash and Carry Kitchens are very good too paddy147, very well priced but say nothing we don't want to expose value for money,
    It won't go down well with the boys :)

And there ya go mass production throwing out thousands of them everyday and the the end result is something far less nice to look at compared to custom wardrobes that have fillers etc. that make it look part of the wall rather than ikea ones leaving gaps everywhere around them!

Ikea is cheap caus they don't care how long it takes until it falls apart. I mean would you buy your stairs from there or get a proper made one that will be made to suit site condutions where your joinery will actually care about there craft where the ikea assembly people havnt spent thousands of hours perfecting their trade and skill don't care once it's gone past their station?

Yep so a 10 year Ikea guarentee is bad too then is it.

I mean it must be,seen as you are the one who is knocking them,but I wonder why that is??.

I dont care if Ikea get little elves to mass produce it,all I know is that I saved alot of money by buying Ikea wardrobes and then customising them to my needs.:)

P.S-Ive bought various Ikea products previously,and guess what,still going strong.Good sturdy products that are very easy to assemble.

Ikea for the win here.

You have to get someone to fit the chipboard..
    Build something to fill the gaps that 'standard' units don't fit into..
    The OP is looking for built it/ fitted...

Cash and Carry Kitchens are very good too paddy147, very well priced but say nothing we don't want to expose value for money,

And you still haven't told us how they can be made and fitted for half the price? Provided no evidence at all how you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 February21

Ikea has a 10 year warrenty on their wardrobes.

If you have a regular space - they are a great solution. Price is reasonable, and you can get the higher-end finish (costing more) which is very design conscious.

The SAME price for custom-built will NOT get you anything similar in style or quality. BUT if you are willing to spend the cash to have custom built and design worthy wardrobes then I think you should be realistic and expect to pay for high quality materials and expert work.

To sum up :

Low cost will get you crap - both off-the-shelf and custom made
    Mid cost will get you good Ikea wardrobes and crap custom made
    High cost will get you fabulous custom made wardrobes

It just a case of identifying what you WANT and what you are willing to spend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Play nice boys;)

For the naysayers, put up your pricing on such a job, as others already have. And discuss it nicely.

And compare like with like. Ikea or B&Q is not the same as fitted by a professional. Its an interesting exercise.

kadman

• Advertisement

mate, it's manufacturing and fitting of wardrobes,typical rubbish about the boom years blah blah blah.

You are obviously not in business because you have never heard of overheads

How much for a three door wardrobe from cash and carry supplied and fitted?

How much for a three door wardrobe from cash and carry supplied and fitted?

Right lads I just rang cash and carry in mullingar there. They don't do a 600 wide unit so they quoted me for two 900 units. They are charging €720 and then €150 to fit it.

Now all you good lads saying it can be done for half that please come back on here and put up yer prices for it as I have just proved that cash and carry who mass produce the stuff can't even do it for half the price ye claim!

Right lads I just rang cash and carry in mullingar there. They don't do a 600 wide unit so they quoted me for two 900 units. They are charging €720 and then €150 to fit it.

Now all you good lads saying it can be done for half that please come back on here and put up yer prices for it as I have just proved that cash and carry who mass produce the stuff can't even do it for half the price ye claim!

Two 600 units = 1200
    Two 900 units = 1800

That's a difference of the original size unit (600) so not exactly like for like and even that is still cheaper than your ridiculous estimates.

You expect the customer to pay for every bill you have whether related to the job or not (Judging by your previous posts).

You resort to knocking the quality and craftsmanship of IKEA, Cash & Carry Kitchens etc. to bolster the argument for your overpriced estimates.

Come down to earth lads, Seriously!!

Two 600 units = 1200
    Two 900 units = 1800

That's a difference of the original size unit (600) so not exactly like for like and even that is still cheaper than your ridiculous estimates.

You expect the customer to pay for every bill you have whether related to the job or not (Judging by your previous posts).

You resort to knocking the quality and craftsmanship of IKEA, Cash & Carry Kitchens etc. to bolster the argument for your overpriced estimates.

Come down to earth lads, Seriously!!

Where have I knocked the quality of cash and carry kitchens? I haven't!

Also where did u see two 600 units? The op said three hinged doors and the standard for that would be 600 units therefor 1800 long.

I rang another kitchen crowd just now and they quoted me one 600 unit shelved out and a 1200 unit with a hanging rail for €690 and fitting would be a further €180.

Now at this stage thisNthat I'm asking you to please put up your pricing for the job and how you can do it for half the price of even cash and carry can do it for.

Not once have you posted any prices at all so until we see your pricing your the one living in dream land!!!

Maybe you should take a trip to Ikea and have a look,in the flesh,before making any more comments.

You havent got a clue here.Yet "think" you are fully qualified to slate a company and product.Typical.:rolleyes:

Maybe you should take a trip to Ikea and have a look,in the flesh,before making any more comments.

You havent got a clue here.Yet "think" you are fully qualified to slate a company and product.Typical.:rolleyes:

Galwayrush is perfectly capable of making a comment like that. He is a qualified joiner with his own workshop and turns out top class joinery and what he said makes perfect sense.

An ikea wardrobe won't be a built in wardrobe. It will be a free standing wardrobe that does not have fillers all around it to fill in the unsightly gaps that a custom built wardrobe will have.

Paddy147 you yourself no that fillers are needed as you had a post last week were u were trying to paint what was caulk. Well there was a filler there where the silicone was. The carpenter used silicone to fill tiny discrepancies between the wall and the filler.

So after buying your kitchen and paying to get get fitted as well can you honestly say you would have been happy with your carpenter leaving a 20mm or 30mm gap between the end of your kitchen unit and the wall? I doubt you would be.

kadman wrote: »
    Play nice boys;)

For the naysayers, put up your pricing on such a job, as others already have. And discuss it nicely.

And compare like with like. Ikea or B&Q is not the same as fitted by a professional. Its an interesting exercise.

kadman

With regards to Ikea......I know quite a few professional carpenters and builders who buy Ikea wardrobes and various wardrobe fittings and then "modify" them to suit and give a built in look.

A very good alternative to paying out silly money,if you are on a budget or have X amount of cash to spend with a house build or rennovation project.

I also love how alot of carpenters feel the need to slate Ikea and their products.

Maybe its because all their noses are being put out of joint by Ikea being here in Ireland.;)

I didn't slate anyone, compare like with like please...
    I am well familliar with Ikea's standard. It's good for what it is, but it's not high standard or customised. I am more than qualified to notice the difference, some people obviously don't and are more than happy, even highly impressed with such goods, but the more discerning customer demands more. btw, how much per hour do you think a good tradesman is worth here? how much do you value your own time?
    I am not the one without a clue here......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I didn't slate anyone

You did,and slanderous too.
    Maybe you need to re-read what you posted about Ikea then.

Let me refresh your memory.
    Ikea is cheap caus they don't care how long it takes until it falls apart.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement