Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big bag fertiliser weight

• 13-02-2012 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

What weight is normally in a big bag of fertiliser? All we get around here is the 50kg bags. What price would the big bag stuff be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

urea is normally 375kg, with 1.5 tone on a pallet - that is 4 bags- and can is normally 500kg, with 4 bags on a pallet or 2 tonne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Silly question, does 18.6.12 come in big bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

johngalway wrote: »
    Silly question, does 18.6.12 come in big bag?

Yes it does.

Around here the last few years, there has been no cost saving on big bags over small bags. Before that it was about €5 to €10 per ton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

afaik ye, we get the 24 , 2.5, 10 or similar in half tonne bags most fertiliser come in big bags

reilig wrote: »
    Yes it does.

Around here the last few years, there has been no cost saving on big bags over small bags. Before that it was about €5 to €10 per ton.

Ah, bugger, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Yes it does.

The discount on big bags is it saves your back

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

thats for sure,havent had a bad back since i started using them 10years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

But you have to have a machine for lifting them. :D

from johngalway's posts on here in the past, i believe he intends getting out the metal bucket and leather glove to apply his fertiliser ;) ??

But you have to have a machine for lifting them. :D

from johngalway's posts on here in the past, i believe he intends getting out the metal bucket and leather glove to apply his fertiliser ;) ??

Ah ha! Yes, but no :D

Nothing to lift them for sure, unless I really start packing away the Flahavans in the morning :pac: But I have retired the dreaded bucket. Last year I went and bought one of these...

Erm one of the first two, I forget which:

http://www.earthway.com/category/hand/

What'll probably happen is it'll leave horrible burnt stripes across my lovely green bog and then Google Earth will update their photos so I'll be reminded of it for years to come :D

So anyway, since I will be borrowing the quad off the sisters boyfriends brother (yeah, I know, but beggars can't be choosers) I'll have to cart the fert to it's spreading destination anyway. If I could have made a saving on the big bag stuff then I could have possibly wrangled a trailer off someone for a day and shovel it into that.

Sounds overly complicated but it'd have been the same labour for less money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Ah ha! Yes, but no :D

Nothing to lift them for sure, unless I really start packing away the Flahavans in the morning :pac: But I have retired the dreaded bucket. Last year I went and bought one of these...

Erm one of the first two, I forget which:

http://www.earthway.com/category/hand/

What'll probably happen is it'll leave horrible burnt stripes across my lovely green bog and then Google Earth will update their photos so I'll be reminded of it for years to come :D

So anyway, since I will be borrowing the quad off the sisters boyfriends brother (yeah, I know, but beggars can't be choosers) I'll have to cart the fert to it's spreading destination anyway. If I could have made a saving on the big bag stuff then I could have possibly wrangled a trailer off someone for a day and shovel it into that.

Sounds overly complicated but it'd have been the same labour for less money.

I would be very much a novice on the fertliser application as well John. But with the big bag - would you not be very dependant on good weather to open / shovel / move / spread the fertiliser?
    At least in the small bags, if you got caught, if you were careful with the bags, you could leave them in a field unopened and come back and spread them the next day.

If you have a heap of fertilser - that needs to go out that day. And if it gets wet, would that cause even more hassle when spreading?

Like I say, dont know much about fertilser, but have been caught with wet fertilser once or twice, and isnt easily forgotten... ;)

• Advertisement

I would be very much a novice on the fertliser application as well John. But with the big bag - would you not be very dependant on good weather to open / shovel / move / spread the fertiliser?
    At least in the small bags, if you got caught, if you were careful with the bags, you could leave them in a field unopened and come back and spread them the next day.

If you have a heap of fertilser - that needs to go out that day. And if it gets wet, would that cause even more hassle when spreading?

Like I say, dont know much about fertilser, but have been caught with wet fertilser once or twice, and isnt easily forgotten... ;)

For all I'd need for the best of the farm John, one good day would see it out on the ground. Besides I always have a roll of polythene handy :D

I'd transfer it from the big bag to feed bags at the road, then onto the quad and zoom off up. Into my new machine spreader :D and I'm away. I usually spread a mix of 18.6.12 and 0.7.30 anyway, so I'd be measuring and mixing into feed bags from the 50kg bags. A leftover from my long forgotten REPS plan :rolleyes:

Am well used to dodging rain and showers here, actually I never minded and somewhat prefer a soft day for spreading, Helps the granules melt. It's just rain and downpours you have to be mindful about IMO, that's not weather to spread in, small or big bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I'd transfer it from the big bag to feed bags at the road, then onto the quad and zoom off up. Into my new machine spreader :D and I'm away. I usually spread a mix of 18.6.12 and 0.7.30 anyway, so I'd be measuring and mixing into feed bags from the 50kg bags.

Seems to me a lot of extra work with the half tonne bags. At least the 50kg bag is transportable intact on the quad, to the point of spreading, no spilling or messing.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Seems to me a lot of extra work with the half tonne bags. At least the 50kg bag is transportable intact on the quad, to the point of spreading, no spilling or messing.

I've to measure and mix the two ferts, so the 50kg bag never reaches the point of spreading intact.

I've to measure and mix the two ferts, so the 50kg bag never reaches the point of spreading intact.

Can you not transport two 50kg bags (18-6-12 and 0-7-30) intact and mix on site just before spreading?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Can you not transport two 50kg bags (18-6-12 and 0-7-30) intact and mix on site just before spreading?

They're not mixed 50 : 50, so it'd be more work to do it at point of spread, because I'd have bits of bags and do more travel to make up for that. Handier to get it all mixed first then fly off with it.

They're not mixed 50 : 50, so it'd be more work to do it at point of spread, because I'd have bits of bags and do more travel to make up for that. Handier to get it all mixed first then fly off with it.

Every cripple has his own way of walking:D

I got complimented on my grass cover pre lambing last year, so reckon I must be doing something right :D

Advertisement