Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castle v Brigids

Options
  • 13-02-2012 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Castle man here, looking forward to the game on Sat. Nice to see the excitement building around town with the bunting now visible in the shopping centre. Do many neutrals here think we have a chance? Are many neutrals going? There should be a good crowd at it! Anyone know of any pubs doing buses to it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I am neutral , Have to say they are both poor teams,
    The winner's of the other semi-final will run out easy winners in the final regardless of what shower end up in croke park ,

Anyone willing to place a bet !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

galait wrote: »
    I am neutral , Have to say they are both poor teams,
    The winner's of the other semi-final will run out easy winners in the final regardless of what shower of Dolans end up in croke park ,

Anyone willing to place a bet !

Thats a stupid comment. If they're both poor teams how come they're contesting an All Ireland semi final?

Garrycastle may have come out of nowhere to some of the more armchair-minded GAA fans, but they've been strong for a number of years.

St Brigid's are back after narrowly losing the All Ireland final to Crossmaglen last year. Not exactly the hallmark of a poor side.

Lazy debate will predict that the Munster or Ulster champs will be a shoo in for this because they're the Ulster or Munster champions, and therefore, stronger than a team from Roscommon or Westmeath could be. But whatever the case, stating that either of these teams are poor, while it is a matter of opinion, is rubbish IMO.

deccurley wrote: »
    Thats a stupid comment. If they're both poor teams how come they're contesting an All Ireland semi final?

Garrycastle may have come out of nowhere to some of the more armchair-minded GAA fans, but they've been strong for a number of years.

St Brigid's are back after narrowly losing the All Ireland final to Crossmaglen last year. Not exactly the hallmark of a poor side.

Lazy debate will predict that the Munster or Ulster champs will be a shoo in for this because they're the Ulster or Munster champions, and therefore, stronger than a team from Roscommon or Westmeath could be. But whatever the case, stating that either of these teams are poor, while it is a matter of opinion, is rubbish IMO.

Corofin got the riding of all time in Kiltoom in the Provincial final, BTW I attended last years final against Crossmaglen and they had St Brigid's at arms length for the duration of the game. Never any doubt who was going to win that game.

Garrycastle are club full of Journey men who could not even field a minor team this season ! ,
    In the Leinster final the oppostion only turned up for the last 10 minutes and scored 8 without reply and made Garrycastle look feeble.

The truth hurts lad's ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Corofin got the riding of all time in Kiltoom in the Provincial final, BTW I attended last years final against Crossmaglen and they had St Brigid's at arms length for the duration of the game. Never any doubt who was going to win that game.

Garrycastle are club full of Journey men who could not even field a minor team this season ! ,
    In the Leinster final the oppostion only turned up for the last 10 minutes and scored 8 without reply and made Garrycastle look feeble.

The truth hurts lad's ;)

Brigid's of Dublin, why did they not show up for the first 50 minutes? Bit arrogant of an attitude of them, or , did Garrycastle not allow them to play . Dublin team would not have gone far either.

How the hell is the Garrycastle team full of "journey men"? A handful of them have played for Westmeath, during the short "good days" or at least played with successful underage country teams. More importantly, these players , many of them stuck together since under 10's, despite work, drink and the usual things that happen. Athlone GAA can't really say that, in the sense that alot of their great underage players left the scene or are now a shadow of their old shelves - underage "fame" went to their heads and thought they were better but got shocked when adult phase come; then of course the sadder part, College/Uni , Injury. Garrycastle , as much as it pains me to say, have dominated the County in senior football in the last few years. What goes on at underage has no concern of this group of players. Garry castle have also being competitive in the Leinster Championship in the last few years also, something no Westmeath side had achieved.

As for Brigid's, Corofin should have put Bridget's to the sword in that game. They didn't, no point complaining. Had Bridgets a better midfield against Crossmaglen and Dolan and McBride had been a bit more cuter with their kicks near the end of the game, Cross were there for the taking. To say they were always at arms length is a small bit harsh.

Will either win it? ok, probably not. But, at least a local team will be a Croker on Paddy's day. Sure beats pissing around Athlone watching the glorified garden center advertising that is the St Patrick's Day Parade. Don't expect either Counties to do much either, so it's all we have

Brigid's to steal it, but it will be tight, Garry Castle should not fear them.

The truth hurts lad's ;)

The fact that you attended last year's final doesn't mean any of the rest of us didn't see it. Brigid's were within the kick of a ball of Cross in that game. They've won 3 Connacht titles in 6 years. A little credit.

Yeah the Dubs made Garrycastle look average in the last 10 mins, but I don't think anyone was calling them 'feeble' for the first 50 mins when they had Brigid's beaten well and truly out the gate.

The truth doesn't hurt me in the slightest, I'm a Clann na nGael man, no affiliation to either Garrycastle or St Brigid's. I just can't let arsetalk go unchallenged.

• Advertisement

. They've won 3 Connacht titles in 6 years. A little credit.

As Pat Spillane would say Connacht football and Roscommon club football in particular is "Junk Status".

How many Connacht Championships did Clan na Gael win and never came within an ass's roar of winning on the big day in Croke Park ,

Brigid's will be the same , They will beat Garrycastle in my view and be galant in the final but will ultimately fail.

I just can't let arsetalk go unchallenged.

Come back here on March 17th @ 5pm and will then see where the "arsetalk" was coming from :rolleyes:

As Pat Spillane would say Connacht football and Roscommon club football in particular is "Junk Status".

How many Connacht Championships did Clan na Gael win and never came within an ass's roar of winning on the big day in Croke Park ,

Brigid's will be the same , They will beat Garrycastle in my view and be galant in the final but will ultimately fail.

When was the last time a Kerry club won the All Ireland. 1994, I think (Laurne Rangers). I don't recall Pat having much grá for Club championships, so he has no right to make any comment on the club scene; To be fair to him, he was referring to the intercounty scene. His own beloved Kerry have done nothing in the underage scene in the past 7 years, so maybe he should start worrying when he sees the Likes of Tipperary coming to the fore.

Maybe if you go and look at the list of All Ireland Club Champions for the past 16 years you will see that Mayo and Galway have produced a very healthy does of champions.

To say that Cross were at all times at arms length of Brigids in the final last year, I ask, what game where you watching, and I was there.
    When did he say Roscommon was Junk Status? He has said alot of things about Roscommon, he also does not seem to have got over the few digs he got in the 1980 final (which he had a fine game) This is the same fella who called Ulster puke football, yet Kerry never bet an Ulster team in an AI final in the last decade

Come back here on March 17th @ 5pm and will then see where the "arsetalk" was coming from :rolleyes:

Calling players of Garrycastle journey men, is arse talk, and like Dee, I have no personal affiliation with either clubs, they are rivals of my club.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

Three winners from Connacht since the last Munster winner of the club championship, so don't see the "junk" in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

rurallake wrote: »
    ... Anyone know of any pubs doing buses to it?

Dans, THe Tack Room, The Bounty, The Old Oak and The Grove as far as I know

The fact that Clann bottled 4 AI finals in a row in the 1980's has nothing to do with the state of Connacht club football as it stands now. :rolleyes:

We'll just have to wait and see as you say.

AhrSkidar wrote: »

Three winners from Connacht since the last Munster winner of the club championship, so don't see the "junk" in that.
    6 actually. From mayo, crossmolina, and ballinas. And from galway, in addition to their 1998 title, corofin got a second in the last 10 year's. Moreover, you have salthill and of all teams, caltra.2000-2011, 5 champions out of 11 years. Munster recorded only 1 out of roughly 5 finals during that decade.

Well Done GarryCastle. That is some history for a young club.

But, watching clips of the Cross game, oh dear.

Well Done GarryCastle. That is some history for a young club.

But, watching clips of the Cross game, oh dear.

Well done for what ? Coming out on top in a tight local Derby between 2 average team's

TG4 were correct to show Dr Croke's /Cross - 2 Class Team's - No class on show in Longford I am afraid , Sorry but Crossmaglen to win easily on March 17th.

BTW No one has yet comment on Garrycastle being unable to field a Minor Team this year,

Club my arse !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rurallake

Well done for what ? Coming out on top in a tight local Derby between 2 average team's

TG4 were correct to show Dr Croke's /Cross - 2 Class Team's - No class on show in Longford I am afraid , Sorry but Crossmaglen to win easily on March 17th.

BTW No one has yet comment on Garrycastle being unable to field a Minor Team this year,

Club my arse !

Ill have you know Garrycastle won this years minor title.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

Yes, Ye won a minor title but ye were joined with caulry and castledaly (2 senior clubs and an intermediate club on the one panel.) WELL DONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

finky1 wrote: »
    Yes, Ye won a minor title but ye were joined with caulry and castledaly (2 senior clubs and an intermediate club on the one panel.) WELL DONE.
    All I heard from that bitter filled jibe was.... 'ye won'. You can only beat the teams you play. Hope they kick ass in the final

You are some bollox. Garrycastle, has done, what few clubs get to do, reach an All Ireland final. They can only play what is before them.

They may not win it, but at least they can say that they got there. You sound like some sour jackeen cribbing and moaning.

You clearly are not involved in the game or have left it a long time ago (and maybe jealous). For their hard training and commitments over WELL OVER 1 year, they now get a chance to play in Croke Park

Garry Castle were established in 1984. This is a great success, to reach the final. They were up against experienced campaigners, who almost beat Cross last year. (I again, put it to you, to say that Cross were always out of the reach of Brigid's was absolute tosh

Cross are All Ireland Champs, and the King Pins, against A Kerry Team with Gooch, it was a no brainer, great game though. THe local game was on afterwards.

Cross will win, but, it won't be "easily". Many GarryCastle people will be just delighted to be there on the day. There would be no shame in loosing to Cross and it will cap off a memorable career for guys like the supposed "journey men " like Dessie Dolan

Club my arse !

If the boggers on the other side of Westmeath were not allowed to amalgamate then they would not have a minor team either.

You will however, need to ask a Club spokesperson about that.

But again, what has that got to do with Garry Castle Senior Football Team?

You are some petty little bollox (Garrycastle are rivals of my club, I should be jealous, I have more connection with Brigids, but I am not bitter, I am absolutely delighted for the region, and hope they get what they want out of it)

When did your club when a county title, a provincial, an All Ireland? More to the point, show us YOUR medals

• Advertisement

finky1 wrote: »

Seriously though, how the hell did that happen? That area of town is large?

They hardly went to Athlone GAA or Rugby?

What did they call the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 faganface

Club my arse !.
    you better get your facts straight before you open your big ****ing mouth!! Garrycastle did field a minor team this year, in fact we (along with caulry and castledaly) won the amalgated championship in westmeath! On that team the captain was from garrycastle (Justin Barrett) a garrycastle man scored the winning goal in the final (Eoin Monoghan), the team was managed by Gary DOLAN! Oh and in the division 1 championship we knocked out Tubberclaire, the division one league champions and we were beaten by St. Lomans in the quarter final, and they went on to win it (beating Athlone in the final :D)! Also garrycastle also won the junior b championship and the junior championship with numerous members of the minor panel on both teams! so shut your big ****ing mouth, noone wants top hear your bull **** opinion,dick

Seriously though, how the hell did that happen? That area of town is large?

They hardly went to Athlone GAA or Rugby?

What did they call the team?
    Westmeath county board choose to amalgamate numerous clubs around the county and we were lucky enough to be put with two teams who also had some top quality players! Team was called St. Ciaráns

All I heard from that bitter filled jibe was.... 'ye won'. You can only beat the teams you play. Hope they kick ass in the final
    fair play, finally someone talking a bit of sense! :P thanks!

faganface wrote: »
    Westmeath county board choose to amalgamate numerous clubs around the county and we were lucky enough to be put with two teams who also had some top quality players! Team was called St. Ciaráns
    so st ciarans is the name of your team now not garrycastle rememeber st ciarans is also the name of athlone gaa pitch

Garrycastle have no experience and the Dolan's have always choked on the biggest Stage - That stage being Croke Park

Remember one of them the missing a crucial 21yd Free Against Meath - Dead Straight in front of the Goals,

Also the winning of the 2004 Lenister Championship Final Replay against Laois came as a direct result of a Dolan being substituted mid way throught the First Half.

BTW Garrycastle were in existence long before 1984

• Advertisement

Garrycastle have no experience and the Dolan's have always choked on the biggest Stage - That stage being Croke Park

Remember one of them the missing a crucial 21yd Free Against Meath - Dead Straight in front of the Goals,

Also the winning of the 2004 Lenister Championship Final Replay against Laois came as a direct result of a Dolan being substituted mid way throught the First Half.

BTW Garrycastle were in existence long before 1984
    if rory o connell came out of retirement garrycastle would win but with out him no chance. he was reason westmeath won leinster never bottled it on the field a true allstar icon10.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement