Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Feminists

Options
  • 13-02-2012 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Is this unnatural? I think it should be viewed as reasonable to want to promote equality between the sexes. Assuming the meaning is the promotion of equality of women to men in employment, public administration, and personal life, how can feminism be something that is restricted to women? It's like suggesting you had to be black to approve of the civil rights movement.

I said at lunchtime today that I believe in feminism and the people I was talking with looked at me like I had two heads. Do the men of boards consider themselves feminists?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I am all for the rights of our fair weathered partners in this mortal toil. I also believe all should be equal though. Maternity leave, rights of fathers to children, pay and amount of clothes shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I assume you are trying to get the ride

I believe in every sex for themselves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is no feminism in the nursing or primary school teaching professions.
    Maybe we need a more equality-friendly word to describe what you say, rather than some gender-orientated word beginning with F or M.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

You dont have to be a feminist to want gender equality. Women should be paid the same as men if both are doing the same job (especially in the world of tennis). But I dont think gender quotas are a good idea. The right person should get the job, regardless of their sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I agree with you completely, but some feminists wouldn't. Ultra Feminists and they're not just lesbians.
    Some separatist feminists do not believe that men can make positive contributions to the feminist movement and that even well-intentioned men replicate the dynamics of patriarchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think calling it feminism is what causes some people to be dismissive of it. They obviously don't understand what it actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because feminism only chases equal rights for women, rather than equal rights for both sexes.

Egalitarianism would be a better cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Sindri wrote: »
    I agree with you completely, but some feminists wouldn't. Ultra Feminists and they're not just lesbians.

Probably not lesbians but women who only have a battery powered lump of plastic for comfort as no sane man would touch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't want women to have the same rights as men. i want both genders to have equal rights. There's a difference, and some of the most vocal feminists don't seem to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

snubbleste wrote: »
    Maybe we need a more equality-friendly word to describe what you say, rather than some gender-orientated word beginning with F or M.
    Yes I think the problem may the word itself; it sounds as though feminists seek to further their rights beyond those of men... which I don't believe is the case for the vast majority of feminists.
    Good Heavens Sindri.

Who knows where that fist has been:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I am all for the rights of our fair weathered partners in this mortal toil. I also believe all should be equal though. Maternity leave, rights of fathers to children, pay and amount of clothes shops.

Men would need wombs and to have recently actually given birth to avail of this particular one - perhaps you meant Paternity/Parental Leave?

Amount of clothes shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

B (.) (.) B S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If one is concerned with equality in a general sense then one is concerned with the equality of women.

Trying to figure out how equality is achieved is the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is no such thing as equal pay for equal work.
    Sure go down to the supermarket and compare which gender is predominantly manning (oops) the checkouts and which is predominantly stocking the shelves or dealing with deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Men would need wombs and to have recently actually given birth to avail of this particular one - perhaps you meant Paternity/Parental Leave?
    Well yeah ofcourse they didnt have a baby sorry about my choice of word, but I think men should get the same amount of time of as women
    Amount of clothes shops?
    Yes for every six womens clothes shops we have one, it was a joke in the midst of my serious post as my father always said if you want to tell the truth you should make a joke of it. But its a serious issue theres not enough male clothes shops and none with the crazy cheap prices women get.

I'm a lesbian and I completely disagree with separatists. I have no issue with men whatsoever, I just don't want to have sex with any of them. However, I will not tolerate some guy thinking he is automatically 'better' then I am just because he has a penis. I also won't tolerate some guy refusing to do a particular task just because they have a penis. As I have informed ny son and nephew many times -your willy won't fall off if you use a washing machine/hoover/iron/duster/change a nappy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Amount of clothes shops?

Personally, I think it's bullsh!t to not allow a new Dad the opportunity to have an extended period with his baby free from the hassles of work. I don't think it should be compulsory, but I do think the option should at least be there.

Also, yeah, clothes shops?

Well yeah ofcourse they didnt have a baby sorry about my choice of word, but I think men should get the same amount of time of as women

Yes for every six womens clothes shops we have one, it was a joke in the midst of my serious post as my father always said if you want to tell the truth you should make a joke of it. But its a serious issue theres not enough male clothes shops and none with the crazy cheap prices women get.

Well since I haven't worn a dress since my communion back in the age of the dinosaurs I see your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

later10 wrote: »
    Is this unnatural? I think it should be viewed as reasonable to want to promote equality between the sexes. Assuming the meaning is the promotion of equality of women to men in employment, public administration, and personal life, how can feminism be something that is restricted to women? It's like suggesting you had to be black to approve of the civil rights movement.

I said at lunchtime today that I believe in feminism and the people I was talking with looked at me like I had two heads. Do the men of boards consider themselves feminists?

Male feminists=Eunuchs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

seamus wrote: »
    Because feminism only chases equal rights for women, rather than equal rights for both sexes.

Yes I suppose egalitarianism is a better word indeed. But I am not so much concerned about mens' rights as I am about women's equality. There are only a relatively small number of cases where men suffer from discrimination on the basis of their gender (and particularly as fathers), but there is (in my opinion) an entire culture of sexism against women, even in our society.

I think this culture of the denigration of women is more overwhelming than the important issue of fathers' rights, which can be fixed with sensible lawmakers passing the appropriate legislation. The treatment of women in society is not so easily fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

your willy won't fall off if you use a washing machine/hoover/iron/duster/change a nappy. ;)

Using a hoover on your willy may not result in amputation but it can certainly cause serious damage.

Not that I'd know anything about that type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

The issue with feminism is that a lot of women seem to have a false sense of entitlement, they think that they're better than men or that they deserve more. Feminism has some really negative connotations, and I think it's something of an obsolete term in developed countries as women do essentially now have equal rights. I think a lot of women use feminism as a sort of defense, as in "it's because I'm a woman" as opposed to "it's because I genuinely wasn't the best person for the job," or something along those lines. There are also a lot of feminists who equate it to a "men are all chauvinistic pigs" attitude, which is really negative. Feminism is not something I would want to associate myself with, for those reasons.

Anyway, never mind male feminism, female chauvinism is the way forward! :L

If one is concerned with equality in a general sense then one is concerned with the equality of women.

Trying to figure out what equality is is the problem.

I think equality is a fairly straightforward thing. It gives equal status to both genders when it comes to jobs, voting, education etc etc.

I think the main problem lies with people trying to enforce "equality" on people who choose not to take it up. And women are the worst offenders in this regard - for example some career minded women look down on women who choose to be stay-at-home mums. Take a look at the Ladies Lounge & you'll see it's full of women ragging on women who choose to use their sexuality for self gain. Etc etc.

For me, equality is giving people the right to equal status but also giving people the freedom to choose whether or not they actually want it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbian_utopia

<3

I wouldn't mind a lesbian Utopia myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 elasticspastic

seamus wrote: »

I've been feeling this way for quite a while with regards to all group-specific rights organisations. They all start off with the greatest of intentions, but because of the narrow view their indignation is composed of, they all end up becoming nothing more than litigious or impotent whiners.

Most changes in attitude I've seen appear to come more from a populace becoming more liberal as it's wealth and/or exposure to foreign nationals increases rather than due to major campaigns by these organisations.

I seriously feel the various rights groups need to actually work towards having a single platform of egalitarianism before they can really start making the strides towards the equality they profess they're chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Using a hoover on your willy may not result in amputation but it can certainly cause serious damage.

Not that I'd know anything about that type of thing.

We cannot legislate against stupidity in either gender sadly. Anyone who presses a hoover against their genitalia and switches it on would most likely be better off if their reproductive organs were amputated thereby removing them from the gene pool.

I also won't tolerate some guy refusing to do a particular task just because they have a penis.

Apart from breastfeeding, I hope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I dunno, but there's loads of them over in the Ladies Lounge!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement