Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Feminists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Millicent wrote: »
    I love how you cherry pick what you will reply to. Anything outside your realm of your experience or comprehension is blithely ignored. No offence, like.

Thank you. I do look nice today. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

whatsamsn wrote: »

So you can't effectively argue you a point so you're just not going to bother? Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Ah here now stop trolling and acting the bollix.

Sindri wrote: »
    ^^^^Ah here now stop trolling and acting the bollix.

Wish I hadn't got my post in just before yours now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

wheres me dinner?
    In the dog. Obviously.

• Advertisement

Wish I hadn't got my post in just before yours now. :pac:

Ninja edit.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

texidub wrote: »
    Freud would have a field day with this.

But forget Freud.. biologists would be fascinated too: How did you manage to have a son if you don't have sex with men? [My point here being that you were once having sex with men and now you are not.. which just goes to show that having fixed ideas of what gender means are quite silly.]

Also, your comments to your son and nephew make you sound a little fixated on genitalia. When they grow up I hope they put such an intolerant, genitalia-fixated view of human beings in the dustbin where it belongs.

Personally, I think people should look beyond gender to the person. And if your definition of a person is along the lines of a syzygy (i.e. composed of an interplay of both 'male' and 'female' parts) this is very easy to do.

But then again, I guess you wouldn't 'tolerate' that either, since your view of these topics emerges from fixated views of gender in the first place.

Until views like yours are consigned to history, there will never be equality of personhood --some idiot will always drag it back to which set of genitalia you possess.

You may want to read something other then Freud someday. He is really messing with your cognitive abilities if you think a woman has to have sex with a man to get pregnant.

I would also appreciate it if you did not tell me what I will and will not tolerate based on one post on an internet forum which you fixated upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

later10 wrote: »
    Very damning and sadly accurate synopsis.

It seems the general populace don't have an appetite for social reform, which includes fathers rights, "tis the economy stupid".

Most of the FF swing went to FG, 2 very socially conservative elements. The rest seem side shows.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

:pac:

What? Why is that post so confrontational and condescending? Why? Like what's people's problem with Feminism, why is it so contentious?:confused:

It's because some opponents believe all feminists hate men, despite evidence to the contrary.

May also be a touch of feeling threatened due to a theory called male privilege. Similar to a theory called white privilege.

So you can't effectively argue you a point so you're just not going to bother? Good man.

Its funny you say that. Didnt you play a similiar card earlier?
    Couldnt effectively argue so twist a reply onto the other? ;) (questions than input I am referring too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    You may want to read something other then Freud someday. He is really messing with your cognitive abilities if you think a woman has to have sex with a man to get pregnant.

I would also appreciate it if you did not tell me what I will and will not tolerate based on one post on an internet forum which you fixated upon.

Freud's in the bin, don't worry along with the rest of that literature. Neuroscience FTW. (I do apologise for psychologizing, but I was struck by the genitalia-fixated nature of your post.)

However, someone must have messed with your cognitive abilities if you think a man is not a necessary part of a pregnancy.

What are men in your view? You have already used one as a disposable sperm donor for a lesbian, haven't you? : ) That sounds quite sexist to me... as does the rest of your original post, with your puerile comments to your son about his genitals.

Its funny you say that. Didnt you play a similiar card earlier?
    Couldnt effectively argue so twist a reply onto the other? ;) (questions than input

Show me where that was if you would.

Freud's in the bin, don't worry along with the rest of that literature. Neuroscience FTW. (I do apologise for psychologizing, but I was struck by the genitalia-fixated nature of your post.)

However, someone must have messed with your cognitive abilities if you think a man is not a necessary part of a pregnancy.

What are men in your view? You have already used one as a disposable sperm donor for a lesbian, haven't you? : ) That sounds quite sexist to me... as does the rest of your original post, with your puerile comments to your son about his genitals.

I see you have graduated from psychobabble to fully fledged condescension now. Tell me, does that make you feel powerful? Are you threatened by women who don't need men for sex? Did mummy not breast feed you? Is your sister more intelligent then you? Did you get turned down by a lesbian? Are you short?

Why do you feel the need to pass judgement on a total stranger? Do I threaten you that much?

I must confess - you mean nothing to me.

You have no idea what arrangement I have with my son's 'sperm donor' as you call him and frankly it is none of your business.

I think you will also find that the person who keeps harping on about genitalia is you.

As for my son - a strapping 6 footer who is a mature and loving father of two children, who changes nappies, makes their dinner, reads them stories, and offers them absolute support and positive encouragement who also rarely drinks, prefers to spend time with his children then the lads, supports them financially so they want for nothing, has never been in trouble with the law... then perhaps more mother's should make ' puerile comments to their sons about their genitals if he is the sort of man that makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Well I think we should have a round of applause. It took a whole 226 posts before the ol feminism means castrating men assertion to be made.
    Well done us. Time was that would have been the 2nd post.
    WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!!!!

But it is still an example of Femiphobia.
    There is still a lot of that going round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

President of the US - turns out the American electorate is more sexist then racist...who knew!

What's this based on? As in, is there something to link sexism with the democrat superdelegates choosing Obama over Clinton as their representative? She was doing well until she made a big error with a few choice quotes about Lyndon B Johnson and MLK. She also beat John Edwards, the other candidate who is a white man. That quote seems massively unfair and does a disservice to anyone arguing that women are discriminated against in this thread. If you have something to back it up then fair enough but its better to stick to facts than using anecdotal and unquantifiable assertions as many have done so far.

What's this based on? As in, is there something to link sexism with the democrat superdelegates choosing Obama over Clinton as their representative? She was doing well until she made a big error with a few choice quotes about Lyndon B Johnson and MLK. She also beat John Edwards, the other candidate who is a white man. That quote seems massively unfair and does a disservice to anyone arguing that women are discriminated against in this thread. If you have something to back it up then fair enough but its better to stick to facts than using anecdotal and unquantifiable assertions as many have done so far.

Have a read through the comments on this for a start: http://www.nohillaryforpresident.com/hillary-president-forum/

square-med-hillcamp.gif

4629151.4348670.jpg

4629151.4073484.jpg

4629151.2604234.jpg

4629151.2609222.jpg

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/erbe/2009/01/14/the-treatment-of-hillary-clinton-shows-sexism-pervades-society

Sharrow wrote: »
    But it is still an example of Femiphobia.
    There is still a lot of that going round.

With a side order of vagina dentata obsessions.

The only thing that proves is that sexism exists in America. It does not back up a statement that Obama beat out Clinton because she was a woman and because the American people are more sexist than racist.

I see you have graduated from psychobabble to fully fledged condescension now. Tell me, does that make you feel powerful? Are you threatened by women who don't need men for sex? Did mummy not breast feed you? Is your sister more intelligent then you? Did you get turned down by a lesbian? Are you short?

Why do you feel the need to pass judgement on a total stranger? Do I threaten you that much?

I must confess - you mean nothing to me.

You have no idea what arrangement I have with my son's 'sperm donor' as you call him and frankly it is none of your business.

I think you will also find that the person who keeps harping on about genitalia is you.

As for my son - a strapping 6 footer who is a mature and loving father of two children, who changes nappies, makes their dinner, reads them stories, and offers them absolute support and positive encouragement who also rarely drinks, prefers to spend time with his children then the lads, supports them financially so they want for nothing, has never been in trouble with the law... then perhaps more mother's should make ' puerile comments to their sons about their genitals if he is the sort of man that makes.

I guess I touched a nerve. I'm not passing judgment on your lesbianism. I said your original post sounded sexist to me. I also apologised for psychologising, so your psychobabble-ish retort above is unnecessary... but comical.

If you could get over your sense of righteous anger, you would have noticed that in my original post I argued that we should look beyond gender to the person --AND that people are a mix of female and male principles. It doesn't get more egalitarian than that.

I will also add that regardless of gender, class, creed, colour, and sexual orientation, people should be paid the same and be held in equal regard.

When lesbian mothers who use men as sperm donors get to dictate the debate on gender equality, there is something really wrong with the debate.

So, to answer your question I am not threatened by the likes of you, I simply don't think your view is all that relevant to society as a whole.

Is it OK with you if non-lesbian, non genitalia-fixated, heterosexual, mothers and fathers, have a view on gender.. or is that the sole preserve of exceptional individuals like yourself?

When lesbian mothers who use men as sperm donors get to dictate the debate on gender equality, there is something really wrong with the debate.

I see where you are coming from but I seem to have missed the part where she has said that she had a sperm donor. If her son has two kids of his own, it would be more likely that she was in a relationship with a man previously, had kids, then realised she was a lesbian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

What on earth is the OP talking about? Of course men can be feminists, equality is the core of femanism.

I see where you are coming from but I seem to have missed the part where she has said that she had a sperm donor. If her son has two kids of his own, it would be more likely that she was in a relationship with a man previously, had kids, then realised she was a lesbian.

And if that is the case, rather than seeing gender roles as predetermined as the poster seems to do, she should --above all people-- should realize that we are syzygies and that there is nothing fixed about being male and female... which is my point.

Bannaidshe, perhaps we are in complete agreement on the above and I misnuderstood your POV. It could be simply the puerile references to your sons genitals that turned me off your point of view. In which case, I would apologise.. if you would tolerate an apology of course : )

Can men be feminists? It depends on the definition of feminism: if feminism is championing women's rights in the name of equality of personhood then of course they can. (I still think we should look beyond gender to the person.)

That said, I recall a guy in UCD some years ago who wanted to join and participate in women's rights groups in the college being politely told to eff off. He was really disappointed.. but took it like a well-trained Irish liberal (i.e. didn't say a word about it).

To return to the other poster's genitialia theme: he was rejected because he has a penis... there was something in your comment to your son about his penis not falling off that reminded me of that childish position.

Katgurl wrote: »
    What on earth is the OP talking about? Of course men can be feminists, equality is the core of femanism.

And at that core is a soft nougaty centre. Above it is chocolate.

Katgurl wrote: »
    ^
    And at that core is a soft nougaty centre. Above it is chocolate.

Ahem........................
    ^

Hypocrisy is a brilliant word.

^

^

Difference is I have actually contributed positively to this thread.:pac:

Difference is I have actually contributed positively to this thread.:pac:

you are a hypocrite Sindri. I wipe my ass with hypocrites. As well as most people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

^

^

A flippant reply designed to amuse is very different to a flippant reply designed to anger, yet without context you can pretend they're the same thing.

Nice selective quoting and taking things out of context. You should be a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Can't be arsed reading the tread, up for work in 7 hours.
    I'm male. Wouldn't call myself a feminist. Don't like the word. I'm all for completely equal rights though.
    Same as I'm all for equal rights for all races but I wouldn't call myself a blackist. It's just got weird connotations to me.
    G'luck lads.

A flippant reply designed to amuse is very different to a flippant reply designed to anger, yet without context you can pretend they're the same thing.

Nice selective quoting and taking things out of context. You should be a journalist.

Basic human psychology 101.
    Back up those who share the same views as you.

Hypocrisy is one thing. Twisting users posts to favor those who share the same views as you is another. Or should I say, back those up who share the sames views re-enforces your own :)

Nice try tho :) Give it a 6/10. Undoubtedly Sindri will thank your post. Or perhaps remove it as they read this? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Basic human psychology 101.
    Back up those who share the same views as you.

Hypocrisy is one thing. Twisting users posts to favor those who share the same views as you is another. Or should I say, back those up who share the sames views re-enforces your own :)

Nice try tho :) Give it a 6/10. Undoubtedly Sindri will thank your post. Or perhaps remove it as they read this? ;)
    That's nice and condescending of you.

I share Sindri's view that you should stop being a dick alright. I'm not even sure what his views are beyond that, as I haven't followed the thread enough. So no - you're wrong.

Anyway I think your agenda here is at best to score points off people; but probably just to p!ss people off. So I'll leave off responding to you further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement