Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Feminists

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

later10 wrote: »
    In fairness, I think that's a big part of the problem. Why should it be seen as gay to be concerned about the treatment of women? I really don't understand that. Why should gay guys be more concerned about womens' rights than those of us who are straight:confused:

Love your location by the way!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Really - what would you think a white person who is anti-racist is?

Well,
    there's more racism in Ireland, than there is 'women being held back' thats for sure :)
    But of course, certain people like to pretend its still the backwards Ireland of the 50s.

But maybe I am wrong. Maybe women ARE STILL being held back. I can only wait for the day we see female doctors, judges, bus drivers, politicians, teachers, astronauts, police women, female army personnel.

... oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

token101 wrote: »
    You don't really get this whole equality thing at all! If feminism is all about equality, then they would not need to be campaigning for men. It would be equal. But it isn't, it's about equality when it suits.

I really do get it, actually. You presume because I have described myself with a single descriptor, that I cannot campaign for the rights of any group outside of my own gender. I have repeatedly said on this forum that I am for fathers' rights and for the rights of various other marginalised groups, but because I am for the rights of women as a feminist, I don't "get" equality? Don't presume to know me because of one single facet of my personality or perspective.

And how does making the rights of one group lessen another group's? How does that work exactly?

whatsamsn wrote: »
    Well,
    there's more racism in Ireland, than there is 'women being held back' thats for sure :)
    But of course, certain people like to pretend its still the backwards Ireland of the 50s.

But maybe I am wrong. Maybe women ARE STILL being held back. I can only wait for the day we see female doctors, judges, bus drivers, politicians, teachers, astronauts, police women, female army personnel.

... oh wait.

You ignored my post in response to that so it would appear you're not actually looking to have a conversation on the matter, just taking pot shots because you have decided your perspective is the correct one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Well I think we should have a round of applause. It took a whole 226 posts before the ol feminism means castrating men assertion to be made.
    Well done us. Time was that would have been the 2nd post.
    WE'RE MAKING PROGRESS!!!!

u jelly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

In fairness, I think that's a big part of the problem. Why should it be seen as gay to be concerned about the treatment of women? I really don't understand that. Why should gay guys be more concerned about women'S rights than those of us who are straight:confused:

Gays aren't out to get laid by women so they won't be as "concerned" about their rights as you son.

Millicent wrote: »
    You ignored my post in response to that so it would appear you're not actually looking to have a conversation on the matter, just taking pot shots because you have decided your perspective is the correct one.

didnt read your comments :confused:
    this IS page 17 you know.

Ah here it is ...
    Out of curiosity, now that I think of it, why does that matter?

Sounds like a persecution complex to me.
    You are a woman. Some how you feel that you are being held back?

Simple fact is THIS AINT THE 50s ANYMORE!
    You reply back to me saying how I am wrong. But you wont acknowledge how the times have changed. Name 1 job, honestly name 1 job that is not given to a woman in todays world. A job that a woman could perfectly do.

One job. Name it. Prove me wrong. Prove yourself right. Prove that women are still being held back in todays world. No spinning, no twisting replies. One job. If you can i'll shut my mouth and say you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Well,

... oh wait.
    You're really not getting it. Apart from wage structures favouring men, i.e. men getting paid more than women for doing the same job, there's still a lot of prejudice towards women, and constant sexual remarks are the norm in most workplaces. The media are at it too, the word 'feminist' often has 'strident' attached to it, for example. Sure a lot of jobs are held by women as well as men, but they don't get treated equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Did it hurt when you cut your balls off?

Reference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Gays aren't out to get laid by women so they won't be as "concerned" about their rights as you son.
    Eh? The insinuation was that it's a gay trait to be concerned about the treatment of women. I am curious as to why it should be a gay thing?

This is slightly bizarre to be honest. In the course of this thread there have been mentions of "whipped pussy boys" from EricCartman toward men calling themselves feminists, a suggestion by TheZohan that I was trolling, and a few mentions of homosexuality as being something relevant to men who are interested in the rights and treatment of women.

Frankly, I find all of this pretty tragic, that it should be so incredible to these people that men might actually take a genuine and human concern for the rights and concerns of their fellow human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

An odd observation.

The opposition towards Civil Rights in America and towards Homosexual rights were mainly predicated on bigotry. Is this not correct?

But Feminism seems to be a highly contentious subject, and the arguments positing negative criticisms of Feminism seem to be fallacious to some extent, and belligerent. That doesn't mean their critique is not valid or that they can't make valid points, but what rational predication could one have against Feminism, if Feminism is mainly about gender equality, some of the arguments here appear to be pretty pedantic.

Is it misinformation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Well,

... oh wait.

Lets look at politicians shall we:

Women over the age of 30 and men aged over 21 were granted the vote in 1918 by Westminster. The Irish Parliamentary party led by John Redmond had tried to prevent women in Ireland being granted. By 1918 Sinn Fein has eclipsed the IPP and campaigned on an equality platform - directly appealing to women voters.

1918: First woman elected to Westminister : Constance Markievicz returned for Dublin St. Patricks.

1919-1922: 1st Irish woman to be given a portfolio -Constance Markievicz Minister for Labour in Dáil Eireann. (2nd woman in the world 1st was Alexandra Kollontai: People's Commissar (Minister) for Social Welfare of Soviet Russia from 1917 to 1918.)

1921: 6 women elected to Dail Eireann - all opposed the Treaty.

1922 Constitution granted voting rights to all men and women aged over 21.

1973: Voted extended to all men and women over the age of 18.

1979 : 2nd Irish woman to be given a portfolio:Máire Geoghegan-Quinn Minister for the Gaeltacht. (To put that into context, the same year Ireland got its second ever female cabinet minister Margaret Thatcher was elected Prime Minister in the UK.)

1981: 3rd Irish woman to be given a portfolio: Eileen Desmond Minister for Health and Social Welfare.

1990: Mary Robinson elected President.

2011: A record 23 TDs elected to a Dail Éireann - total number of TDs 166.

At this rate my granddaughter might live to see a female Taoiseach...

Johro wrote: »
    You're really not getting it. Apart from wage structures favouring men, i.e. men getting paid more than women for doing the same job, there's still a lot of prejudice towards women, and constant sexual remarks are the norm in most workplaces. The media are at it too, the word 'feminist' often has 'strident' attached to it, for example. Sure a lot of jobs are held by women as well as men, but they don't get treated equally.

Good reply man.
    No offense to millicent but at least you come back and state your input rather than a reply thats just a question :rolleyes:

Well,

1. sexual remarks? .. we live in the age of "i'll sue you and the company!" it dont happen as much as it used to. Companies have a zero tolerance policy with this. Is that not more equal rights compared to yesterdays ireland? .. But I understand what you mean. Lets say a guy touches up a female co-workers ass. Thats bad. Ok but lets take same guy and he touches a girls ass in a club. In one example, a guy gets thrown out of a club and is seen to be a sleezebag but thats it. In the other the guy gets fired and becomes just another statistic of how "women arent treated equally"

2, guys getting better pay. Again, discrimination is a popular 'sue-job' these days. But lets take retail as an example. Out of all the pennys, debenhams, dunnes stores, tescos, lidl's etc etc .. are women being paid less than men? :) honestly. Are women getting the 8.65 while guys are getting 9.65.

Ah here it is ...

You reply back to me saying how I am wrong. But you wont acknowledge how the times have changed. Name 1 job, honestly name 1 job that is not given to a woman in todays world. A job that a woman could perfectly do.

One job. Name it. Prove me wrong. Prove yourself right. Prove that women are still being held back in todays world. No spinning, no twisting replies. One job. If you can i'll shut my mouth and say you are right.

That wasn't the one I was referring to. I was referring to where you made the same list of jobs as proof that women were being held back.

"Persecution complex"? You seem to know a lot about me despite having met me. Thank you for telling me that it's all in my head. Appreciate it.

And the job thing? It's not all or nothing. Just because there is a tiny percentage of women in certain roles, doesn't mean women face inequality. What about the tiny proportion of women in science or politics? Besides, I didn't make it all about jobs--you did. There are other issues facing women today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

wheres me dinner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TheZohan wrote: »
    Well trolled later10, well trolled indeed. You had me going there for a while.

Don't think he is trolling at all. Just indulging in AH Humour.

Have to say Later 10 played a blinder, serious lack of feminazi, white knight, emasculation and troll references in this thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Good reply man.
    No offense to millicent but at least you come back and state your input rather than a reply thats just a question :rolleyes:

Well,

1. sexual remarks? .. we live in the age of "i'll sue you and the company!" it dont happen as much as it used to. Companies have a zero tolerance policy with this. Is that not more equal rights compared to yesterdays ireland? .. But I understand what you mean. Lets say a guy touches up a female co-workers ass. Thats bad. Ok but lets take same guy and he touches a girls ass in a club. In one example, a guy gets thrown out of a club and is seen to be a sleezebag but thats it. In the other the guy gets fired and becomes just another statistic of how "women arent treated equally" ... same guy. he was just a perverted jerk.

I have been groped in a couple of jobs (when younger and more naive) and my complaints were not responded to (by management of both a large corporation and a small company). The amount of times I have been groped in nightclubs is too many to count. Sexually assaulted a few times too by people I knew when I was too young to know what to do about it. Is that all imagined? Do you fear that you will be sexually assaulted and raped on a night out and make sure to constantly watch your drinks, even soft drinks, in case you are spiked and taken advantage of? Are you afraid to get drunk in case someone rapes you? Don't talk to me about equality being achieved across the genders until you experience the feeling of having to constantly be on your guard on a night out or dealing with regularly being afraid that you will be attacked.

Cheers for the insult though. Putting "no offense" in front of something doesn't mean you're not trying to insult someone.

"Persecution complex"? You seem to know a lot about me despite having met me. Thank you for telling me that it's all in my head. Appreciate it.

Glad I could help :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Johro wrote: »
    Do you have hard evidence for the equal pay issue? Because I'm under the impression that it often comes down to some women prioritising family over work, and others losing ground in the rat race while on maternity leave. Mind you, a woman can become, say, the managing partner of a top 5 Irish law firm, not really seeing the glass cieling there. Anyway, discriminatory "wage structures" are, of course, illegal, and properly so.

Although ... does equal pay for equal work even apply in most jobs? Where I am there are 6 people doing the same job essentially, but we're all on different pay depending in experience and qualifications. A couple of the older women are earning more than me, without while I'm on more than a woman my age because I'm much better qualified. But we all do exactly the same work.

As for "sexual remarks", virtually all of the gender based insults in my office emanate from women giving out about men, stereotyping and denigrating. This whole "man flu" business being a small but illuminating example ... like men aren't entitled to be sick, and that a man who is sick must clearly be exaggerating. Can only imagine the reaction if I was to start on about "woman flu" some day.

• Advertisement

1981: 3rd Irish woman to be given a portfolio: Eileen Desmond Minister for Health and Social Welfare.
    That is a particularly shocking statistic.

After Markiewicz in 1922,and before Desmond in 1981, only one woman had entered cabinet. That woman was Maire Geoghegan-Quinn, who was appointed Minister for the Gaeltacht (apologies gaeilgeoiri, but :rolleyes:) in 1979.

Almost 60 years of no female Minister. That is an alarming state of affairs to have gone on for so long into the 20th century.

Cheers for the insult though. Putting "no offense" in front of something doesn't mean you're not trying to insult someone.

Its good isnt it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

I'm a lesbian and I completely disagree with separatists. I have no issue with men whatsoever, I just don't want to have sex with any of them. However, I will not tolerate some guy thinking he is automatically 'better' then I am just because he has a penis. I also won't tolerate some guy refusing to do a particular task just because they have a penis. As I have informed ny son and nephew many times -your willy won't fall off if you use a washing machine/hoover/iron/duster/change a nappy. ;)

Freud would have a field day with this.

But forget Freud.. biologists would be fascinated too: How did you manage to have a son if you don't have sex with men? [My point here being that you were once having sex with men and now you are not.. which just goes to show that having fixed ideas of what gender means are quite silly.]

Also, your comments to your son and nephew make you sound a little fixated on genitalia. When they grow up I hope they put such an intolerant, genitalia-fixated view of human beings in the dustbin where it belongs.

Personally, I think people should look beyond gender to the person. And if your definition of a person is along the lines of a syzygy (i.e. composed of an interplay of both 'male' and 'female' parts) this is very easy to do.

But then again, I guess you wouldn't 'tolerate' that either, since your view of these topics emerges from fixated views of gender in the first place.

Until views like yours are consigned to history, there will never be equality of personhood --some idiot will always drag it back to which set of genitalia you possess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ah here it is ...

President of the US - turns out the American electorate is more sexist then racist...who knew!

In Ireland there's jobs such as
    Taoiseach.
    President/Chancellor of a university.
    Minister for Finance (have been junior ministers)
    Minister for Defence.
    Major General - Pakistan has 2 female Major Generals.

Its good isnt it :pac:

I love how you cherry pick what you will reply to. Anything outside your realm of your experience or comprehension is blithely ignored. No offence, like.

texidub wrote: »

But forget Freud.. biologists would be fascinated too: How did you manage to have a son if you don't have sex with men?

Also, your comments to your son and nephew make you sound a little fixated on genitalia. When they grow up I hope they put such an intolerant, genitalia-fixated view of human beings in the dustbin where it belongs.

Personally, I think people should look beyond gender to the person. And if your definition of a person is along the lines of a syzygy (i.e. composed of an interplay of both 'male' and 'female' parts) this is very easy to do.

But then again, I guess you wouldn't 'tolerate' that either, since your view of these topics emerges from fixated views of gender in the first place.

Until views like yours are consigned to history, there will never be equality of personhood --some idiot will always drag it back to which set of genitalia you possess.

Wow. That is really uncalled for. And you realise lesbians' vaginas don't just close up when they come out? If you can't understand how a gay woman could get pregnant, probably not a lot of point responding to the rest of that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That is a particularly shocking statistic.

After Markiewicz in 1922,and before Desmond in 1981, only one woman had entered cabinet. That woman was Maire Geoghegan-Quinn, who was appointed Minister for the Gaeltacht (apologies gaeilgeoiri, but :rolleyes:) in 1979.

Almost 60 years of no female Minister. That is an alarming state of affairs to have gone on for so long into the 20th century.

Yep, I referred to it earlier. A world leader in the Constitution in 1922 with equal voting rights, then a CnaG extreme social conservative Government that ignored that, then DeV, then FG led coalitions with notable exceptions like Browne, then DeV, then FG again, then Lemass which was more about economic reform with a little social reform, then FG and Cosgrave, then Haughey.

Then we had Garret the good and nothing moved forwards after him, socially liberally anyway. Economic slaves, funnily enough this is an ideal time to bring in social reforms, fathers rights, law court reforms, not a hope under Enda.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

texidub wrote: »

But forget Freud.. biologists would be fascinated too: How did you manage to have a son if you don't have sex with men?

Sindri wrote: »
    An odd observation.

The opposition towards Civil Rights in America and towards Homosexual rights were mainly predicated on bigotry. Is this not correct?

But Feminism seems to be a highly contentious subject, and the arguments positing negative criticisms of Feminism seem to be fallacious to some extent, and belligerent. That doesn't mean their critique is not valid or that they can't make valid points, but what rational predication could one have against Feminism, if Feminism is mainly about gender equality, some of the arguments here appear to be pretty pedantic.

Is it misinformation?

:pac:

What? Why is that post so confrontational and condescending? Why? Like what's people's problem with Feminism, why is it so contentious?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Good reply man.

Well,

1. sexual remarks? .. we live in the age of "i'll sue you and the company!" it dont happen as much as it used to. Companies have a zero tolerance policy with this. Is that not more equal rights compared to yesterdays ireland? .. But I understand what you mean. Lets say a guy touches up a female co-workers ass. Thats bad. Ok but lets take same guy and he touches a girls ass in a club. In one example, a guy gets thrown out of a club and is seen to be a sleezebag but thats it. In the other the guy gets fired and becomes just another statistic of how "women arent treated equally"

2, guys getting better pay. Again, discrimination is a popular 'sue-job' these days. But lets take retail as an example. Out of all the pennys, debenhams, dunnes stores, tescos, lidl's etc etc .. are women being paid less than men? :) honestly. Are women getting the 8.65 while guys are getting 9.65.
    Ah, well... It turns out most women who suffer sexual harassment at work don't actually report it, for several different reasons, like some of it is quite subtle and easily dismissed by the usually male manager who'll say 'oh come on, it's only a bit of fun, a joke, don't be so touchy', or because reporting it will make subsequent life at work unbearable due to snide comments made or being ostracised etc. , or they're afraid of losing the job and would rather not rock the boat, and while some may be well aware of their rights and some not, a lot will put up and shut up.
    On wages, I'm talking more about the higher end jobs, not your average shelf stacker.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep, I referred to it earlier. A world leader in the Constitution in 1922 with equal voting rights, then a CnaG extreme social conservative Government that ignored that, then DeV, then FG led coalitions with notable exceptions like Browne, then DeV, then FG again, then Lemass which was more about economic reform with a little social reform, then FG and Cosgrave, then Haughey.

Then we had Garret the good and nothing moved forwards after him, socially liberally anyway. Economic slaves, funnily enough this is an ideal time to bring in social reforms, fathers rights, law court reforms, not a hope under Enda.

Very damning and sadly accurate synopsis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement