Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it acceptable....?

Options
  • 13-02-2012 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I want to rent a semi-detatched house in an estate and I was wondering if it's acceptable for me to call to residents already in the estate and ask them about living there ie. troublesome neighbours, wall thickness between adjoining houses etc? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A stranger called to your door this morning and asked you how thick your walls are and asked you about your street. What did you say to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

ring the local gardai station and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I would think it's overstepping the mark a little. It's one thing doing this if you were buying there (still a little OTT tbh) but just to rent, I think it would not endear you to your potential new neighbours. If you are concerned about neighbours, why not make a few trips to the estate (by day, by night and at a time when kids are off so you get a feel of the atmosphere and environment at different times). I doubt you are going to get strangers bad mouthing their neighbours to a transient blow in so I'd recommend avoid quizzing them directly. You can always hire a surveyor to do a soundproof/wall quality test.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

snubbleste wrote: »
    A stranger called to your door this morning and asked you how thick your walls are and asked you about your street. What did you say to them?
    Well I was a bit wary at first but then they gave the extremely reasonable explanation that they were thinking of buying next door and it wasn't some sort of Ocean's Eleven deal where they were going to tunnel through the wall and steal the contents of my fridge while I slept, so I helped them as best I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

snubbleste wrote: »

No, I want to do it! And honestly, if someone did call I'd probably help as much as I could seeing as I'm wanting to do the very same thing now.
    ongarboy wrote: »
    I would think it's overstepping the mark a little. It's one thing doing this if you were buying there (still a little OTT tbh) but just to rent, I think it would not endear you to your potential new neighbours. If you are concerned about neighbours, why not make a few trips to the estate (by day, by night and at a time when kids are off so you get a feel of the atmosphere and environment at different times). I doubt you are going to get strangers bad mouthing their neighbours to a transient blow in so I'd recommend avoid quizzing them directly. You can always hire a surveyor to do a soundproof/wall quality test.

Thank you for the helpful advice. I'd prefer not to be seen as a transient blow in so I won't be calling to the neighbours!
    Well I was a bit wary at first but then they gave the extremely reasonable explanation that they were thinking of buying next door and it wasn't some sort of Ocean's Eleven deal where they were going to tunnel through the wall and steal the contents of my fridge while I slept, so I helped them as best I could.

I lol'd :D

Thanks for your help people. Always helpful to check if you'd be considered a weirdo for doing something before you actually do it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

skeptik wrote: »
    I want to rent a semi-detatched house in an estate and I was wondering if it's acceptable for me to call to residents already in the estate and ask them about living there ie. troublesome neighbours

When we were buying our house, I did that.
    I see nothing wrong with asking someone a question like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How do you know that the neighbours door you knock on isnt the problem neighbour, and while they might come across all sweetness and light when you talk to them you just end up making a target of yourself when you actually move in?

I can see where you are coming from, but tbh I dont see that it will achieve too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No black or white answer to this one OP.

I don't think that you are off base wanting to do your homework on your neighbours, the area or the house itself before you move in.

If you handle your interactions in a polite and non confrontational or accusatory manner, you may be able to get a good handle on what your neighbours are like. Or you may piss them off as being a nosy, prying SOB & scupper your relationship with them forever. Hard to tell really.

Go at it from the angle that you are doing research on the structural integrity of the house, what the area itself is like to live in etc etc as opposed to your doing research on them & you'll probably get better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Absolutely call into the neighbours. I've done it before and would recommend it to anyone.

Also call into the local shops and ask about certain estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask the neighbour. If the neighbour seems like a right weirdo, the OP can see it as a bullet dodged :P The neighbours may also be able to say if the house is on sale because the person is moving, or if there is something wrong with the house/sewage/etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement