Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old girl waist measurement

Options
  • 13-02-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Not strictly a parenting question but I thought some of you might know.

I'm making a skirt for neighbours little girl, 5 year old.
    Would 25 inches be an average waist size?
    The childs not skinny or oversized, just seems average.

And a long shot here, but if anyone knows measurement from waist to knee i'd appreciate it!!!

Thanks a million,
    Lj.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Can you not just measure her? Or go in to Dunnes and bring a tape measure with you and get the measurements from one of theirs;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

25 inches sounds massive for a 5 year old. I know a lot of adult women with that waist size.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

25 inchs would be a small adult waist size ,about a size 8.
    It sounds huge to me for a 5 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If you want something that fits correctly, then you'll have to measure the child. Differences in weight, height & build can make a difference of several inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A quick google search revealed that a 5 yr old should be between 20-22.5 so 25 would be huge in an average sizes 5 yr old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

My 4 year old is wearing age 5 clothes. She is not fat, fits in to the right weight height ratio.however she is slightly taller than average.According to the local health nurse. Her waist measurement is 23 and half and waist to knee is 12 inches. I am a dressmaker. Take into account that little girls have little pot bellys sometimes. Also they tend to like wearing skirts below their belly, for comfort. Having said that measuring the child is more ideal. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks a million Daffodil, great help.

The skirt is a surprise can't measure the child or surprise ruined.
    I've made a skirt for 3yr old neice, (only elastic waistband btw) and she's 22 inches. Neice has a little tummy though.
    So that's why I thought might be 25 inches for a five yr old.

Googled but got conflicting answers.

Don't have courage to walk into Dunnes with a measuring tape and measure up clothes.

Thanks all for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If in doubt, go larger. They do grow quite quickly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Put in those elastic loops on the inside of the waistband that button so it can be larger or smaller.

In Dunnes and Pennys after the 9-10yrs/10-11yrs, the sizes then become 25" and 26".

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi All

Not strictly a parenting question but I thought some of you might know.

I'm making a skirt for neighbours little girl, 5 year old.
    Would 25 inches be an average waist size?
    The childs not skinny or oversized, just seems average.

And a long shot here, but if anyone knows measurement from waist to knee i'd appreciate it!!!

Thanks a million,
    Lj.

An average 5 year old girl is 40" (3 foot 4 inches) with a waist of 25"
    That is a Waist-to-Height Ratio of 62.50 that is Highly Obese.
    Hopefully this girls is far taller than average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Measured my 12 year old, she was a 25inch waist. Now she was a big child at 5 but there is now way she had a 25 inch waist. Thinking back the dresses she wore flared out from the chest rather than her waist.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I checked the clothes we have for a 4 year old and it said 20.5".

I would expect a 12 year old to have a 25" waist as they are small adult size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I happened to measure my 5yo the other day & her belly was around 23.5". When she was a baby she had a massive belly due to some medicine that she was on, but she has since "stretched" out a bit and I would estimate her sizing to be average for her age.

Kids tend to have a bit of a pot belly - that does not necessarily imply that they're obese. I would be hesitant to use the same height/waist ratio that adults use.

I like up for anything's suggestion of the elastic/button loops - they really can prolong the life of any child's garment :)

Advertisement