Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

31 year old refused alcohol sale!

Options
  • 13-02-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi I'm just curious here but I'm a 31 year old man who was refused alcohol in Lidl yesterday because I didn't have any I.D.
    I'm a few months shy of 32 and adding to the fact that I'm heading towards the old 'middle age', I didn't think I would have to carry I.D. on me; understandably I would think.
    I would understand if this happened in another country; but here in Ireland where I was born and raised I found the whole incident quite embarrassing as there was a big line of people behind me.(a lot of them also purchasing alcohol I had noticed and i doubt it very much if they had the same problem.)
    Does anyone know if I have any rights or does the retailer have the choice who to sell to?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I doubt it. They're required by law to not sell underage alcohol so if they thought you were underage you'd have to prove you weren't. I had the same thing happen to me in New Zealand when I was 30. I had to come back with Passport ID. It is embarrassing but think of it this way. You look younger then you are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

In short no you don't. In fact you have no rights if Lidl refused to sell you a Mars bar. In THEORY they don't have to sell anything to anyone. If you could prove it was on the basis of discrimination then that would be a different matter.

This matter has been discussed a few times on boards. More and more off licence premises are becoming more and more strict on the sale of alcohol because quite frankly the punishment pertaining to the sale of alcohol to a minor or to somebody who may be purchasing for or in the company of a minor is severe. It is embarrassing and it's only natural to feel indignant but the very thought of consumer action is a little ridiculous. Your best bet is to get an age card if you've even once been asked for ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Unfortunately, you don't have any rights when it comes to this. I sympathise though, my sister bought me cigarettes recently and she was asked for ID (she's 30). Look on the bright side, you'll age much better than the rest of us;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In fairness, I think the people behind you would have found it as daft as you did and there would have been no reason to feel embarassed.

Big stores enforce strict alcohol policies, and have done so for quite a while now. Shops can sell to whom they want (alcohol or no alcohol) so there was no infringement of your legal rights in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You should always carry some form of ID. Im 27 and I accept that you may be asked. I work in a bar and can never understand the outrage from some people (not you personally OP) when asked for ID. Ive met 16 and 17 year olds that look in their late 20s so Im always cautious with people. It's not an accusation and Ive often asked just to cover my ass fully expecting the person to produce ID (as they look well over 18) only for them to fail to do so and at that point you can't turn around and say oh well go on ahead anyway.
    I think the idea of guessing someones age based on looks to be very ineffective in some cases and you have to assume that every case is one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I'm 34 and I was refused an alcohol sale, I was however sporting a Borat Mankini and Elvis glasses at the time. Might have been a health and safety issue...

RoboRat if you have nothing helpful to contribute, then please don't post.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Op, appearance is not proof of age. As already pointed out plenty of people look much older/younger than they actually are. Get over it.

I commend lidl for being vigilant and I wish more alcohol retailers would be as strict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

It's happened to me a few time in lidl too, they asked me if I had id, i answered yes, and they said grand and sold me the drink, they didnt actually ask to see it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Unfortunately, you don't have any rights when it comes to this. )

Why unfortunately? Do you think the shop should be forced to sell to anyone that says they are over 18 or might happen to look it?

• Advertisement

Why unfortunately? Do you think the shop should be forced to sell to anyone that says they are over 18 or might happen to look it?

What?? No. It's unfortunate for the OP who was trying to legally make a purchase but couldn't because they couldn't prove their age there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What?? No. It's unfortunate for the OP who was trying to legally make a purchase but couldn't because they couldn't prove their age there and then.

The way I read "unfortunately, you dont have any rights.." is that its unfortunate he doesnt have a right to buy the alcohol without id rather than its unfortunate that he happened to be stopped and refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd love to be ID'd, I keep getting "The customer looks over 25", only place I get asked is the USA. I'd take it as a compliment to be asked for a ID. We did get stung once in the US when going to a barbie and 1 person had no ID, we just left the booze at the till and walked out.

But as the others have said there is no law compelling a shop to sell anything, but they won't last long if they don't. The punishment for underage selling is huge for a shop so it's not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

bet the cashier wasnt Irish

alandublin33 That has nothing to do with this topic and we are not going to go down that road in this thread.

dudara

The way I read "unfortunately, you dont have any rights.." is that its unfortunate he doesnt have a right to buy the alcohol without id rather than its unfortunate that he happened to be stopped and refused.

Regardless of the way you read it, I've explained it's not what you thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The sense of self entitlement is unreal. They dont have to sell you anything. If Lidl / Aldi / Dunnes / Tesco decide they want ID for the sale of sprouts then you have to oblige if you want said sprouts.

Go to Bavaria where beer is a civil right :D

sorry dudara , ill ask permission before I speak again

alandublin33 Since you're an adult, I'll just trust that you can use cop on.

dudara

first of all id like to say that my first comment wasnt racially motivated , I have polish inlaws and there really good people , I was just pointing out how sometimes crossed wires with different nationalities can result with negative consequences. probably should have said that instead of my one line answer last night , and I do have a lot of cop on , more than most , I was just surprised when I got the abrupt message from yourself , I felt like the political correctness police were after me under false pretence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ondadole wrote: »
    I found the whole incident quite embarrassing as there was a big line of people behind me.

No need to be embarrassed, the other customers aren't judging you. :)

They were probably as astounded as you were

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

No question that the seller/cashier was in the right. When in doubt, checking for i.d is proper procedure.

However, I can understand the inconvenience of the op. Such instances surley go against the spirit of the over 18's law. It's intent was to prevent alcohol sales to the underage but perhaps the stricter regulation and penalties have swung the balance towards inadvertently affecting those above the minimum age to higher degree.

In essence, a 20/21 year old complaining about this is a non issue, however maybe we need to readdress the balance such that someone 13/14 years over the limit could be given the benefit of the doubt. (Unless you really do look 17!)

the seller my have been correct as far a the law goes and I suppose thats all that can be expected but ive never seen a 31 year old who didnt look at least 25 , there could be more to the story than just a cashier with bad eyesight/judgement , and I know its easy to say well he/she was doing there job , but put yourself in that persons shoes , would you not be mortified at the age of 31 not 21 being asked for I.D , the answer is yes you would be

actua11 wrote: »
    No question that the seller/cashier was in the right. When in doubt, checking for i.d is proper procedure.

However, I can understand the of the inconvenience of the op. Such instances surley go against the spirit of the over 18's law. It's intent was to prevent alcohol sales to the underage but perhaps the stricter regulation and penalties have swung the balance towards inadvertently affecting those above the minimum age to higher degree.

In essence, a 20/21 year old complaining about this is a non issue, however maybe we need to readdress the balance such that someone 13/14 years over the limit could be given the benefit of the doubt. (Unless you really do look 17!)
    Appearance is not proof of age. I can't believe people really think it is. Neither you or I know what the OP looks like but I have seen 30+ age guys that look like they could be underage and underage guys with grey hair and all that look like they are well over 18.

The rule is simple. Over 18? Prove it.

How old do you think this woman looks?
    d08bce69e0bb492096ee0701f35f8fb2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Hi I'm just curious here but I'm a 31 year old man who was refused alcohol in Lidl yesterday because I didn't have any I.D.
    I'm a few months shy of 32 and adding to the fact that I'm heading towards the old 'middle age', I didn't think I would have to carry I.D. on me; understandably I would think.
    I would understand if this happened in another country; but here in Ireland where I was born and raised I found the whole incident quite embarrassing as there was a big line of people behind me.(a lot of them also purchasing alcohol I had noticed and i doubt it very much if they had the same problem.)
    Does anyone know if I have any rights or does the retailer have the choice who to sell to?
    Thanks in advance!
    Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, would give me more pleasure in this life than someone thinking I was underage!!

Slim chance of it happening!

However, in an internet cafe I was once asked was I a student? (I was in my thirties then). I think this was one of the nicest things ever said to me ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 25 skinsuit

UDP wrote: »
    Appearance is not proof of age. I can't believe people really think it is. Neither you or I know what the OP looks like but I have seen 30+ age guys that look like they could be underage and underage guys with grey hair and all that look like they are well over 18.

The rule is simple. Over 18? Prove it.

How old do you think this woman looks?
    d08bce69e0bb492096ee0701f35f8fb2.jpg

I'd say she's 13. Am I right?

skinsuit wrote: »
    I'd say she's 13. Am I right?
    but she doesn't look 13 though -which is the question I asked.

Thanks in advance!

just wondering what you're getting at here - that you might be able to hit the shop for 10k or something. If that was possible there would be no shops left open in the country....

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

Tesco refused to sell my 55 year old mother alcohol without ID last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, would give me more pleasure in this life than someone thinking I was underage!!

Slim chance of it happening!

However, in an internet cafe I was once asked was I a student? (I was in my thirties then). I think this was one of the nicest things ever said to me ...........

I'm 45 and was asked that a few times last year and I was because I was doing a 2 year course, nothing to do with age you could be an 80 year old student.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement