Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

31 year old refused alcohol sale!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ondadole wrote: »
    I would understand if this happened in another country
    Why? what is so different?
    Would you have been embarrassed in another country?
    Does anyone know if I have any rights or does the retailer have the choice who to sell to?
    How would you describe the rights you would have liked to have had, i.e. how would they be explained legally? I am genuinely interested in how you think such laws could be worded -seeing as it is difficult to have formal legalistic common sense language in the law.

There are often questions similar to this in this forum, rather than questioning "is there a law", if you ask yourself "could there really feasibly be a law", you will often find the obvious answer.
    put yourself in that persons shoes , would you not be mortified at the age of 31 not 21 being asked for I.D , the answer is yes you would be
    I wouldn't be, see no reason. Usually its people being mistaken as older who are mortified. I could only think of young kids & teenagers being that concerned about looking older than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Till person is just doing their job,

I got asked for ID buy beer in a shop in The Hague, the age limit is 16, I was 29.

I didn't mind at all, thought it was good that they checked everyone, young fellas with premature beards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hi I'm just curious here but I'm a 31 year old man who was refused alcohol in Lidl yesterday because I didn't have any I.D.
    I'm a few months shy of 32 and adding to the fact that I'm heading towards the old 'middle age', I didn't think I would have to carry I.D. on me; understandably I would think.
    I would understand if this happened in another country; but here in Ireland where I was born and raised I found the whole incident quite embarrassing as there was a big line of people behind me.(a lot of them also purchasing alcohol I had noticed and i doubt it very much if they had the same problem.)
    Does anyone know if I have any rights or does the retailer have the choice who to sell to?
    Thanks in advance!
    I'm pretty certain that Lidl's policy is that if you look under 25 you should be IDed

Its best to just carry ID no matter

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I'm 45 and was asked that a few times last year and I was because I was doing a 2 year course, nothing to do with age you could be an 80 year old student.
    Don't be a spoilsport!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

the seller my have been correct as far a the law goes and I suppose thats all that can be expected but ive never seen a 31 year old who didnt look at least 25 , there could be more to the story than just a cashier with bad eyesight/judgement , and I know its easy to say well he/she was doing there job , but put yourself in that persons shoes , would you not be mortified at the age of 31 not 21 being asked for I.D , the answer is yes you would be

And Ive met some 17 year olds that look 25. Therein lies the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

bet the cashier wasnt Irish

What has that to do with the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

In fairness, the consequences for Lidl if they unknowingly sell alcohol to an under 18 year old are serious.  It goes from huge fines to being forced to close temporarily to losing their licence.  Shops that sell alcohol are basically being forced to police underaged drinking, they'd be mental to sell alcohol to someone they had any doubts about the age of.  Sucks that you didn't get served but would suck far more for the shop if you had been an extremely mature looking minor doing a secret shopper for the gardai.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In fairness, the consequences for Lidl if they unknowingly sell alcohol to an under 18 year old are serious.  It goes from huge fines to being forced to close temporarily to losing their licence.  Shops that sell alcohol are basically being forced to police underaged drinking, they'd be mental to sell alcohol to someone they had any doubts about the age of.  Sucks that you didn't get served but would suck far more for the shop if you had been an extremely mature looking minor doing a secret shopper for the gardai.

spot on, Lidl have done nothing wrong here only their jobs.
    I honestly don't see the big deal here at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

would you not be mortified at the age of 31 not 21 being asked for I.D

I would love it!

I used to work in a garage and a girl came in buying ciggies, I asked her for ID and she got really annoyed telling me she was 19. I didn't budge and eventually she came back with ID (she was actually 19). Embarrassing, yes but sure these things happen and sure I probably wouldn't see her again.... WRONG. A few months later my brother introduces me to his girlfriend, no points for guessing who she was :-)

She id look very young though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi I'm just curious here but I'm a 31 year old man who was refused alcohol in Lidl yesterday because I didn't have any I.D.
    I'm a few months shy of 32 and adding to the fact that I'm heading towards the old 'middle age', I didn't think I would have to carry I.D. on me; understandably I would think.
    I would understand if this happened in another country; but here in Ireland where I was born and raised I found the whole incident quite embarrassing as there was a big line of people behind me.(a lot of them also purchasing alcohol I had noticed and i doubt it very much if they had the same problem.)
    Thanks in advance!

A resturant in Florida once refused to sell wine to my then 69 year old mother, because she did not have Id...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I got refused in a pub for being under age and it was difficult to be annoyed as i was around 30 .

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

If I went into Lidl to purchase alcohol, I am 21 with ID however my girlfriend had no ID with her, she is also 21. Can they ask her for ID, I am only buying 6 cans, nothing excessive. I am buying, I am paying, for all intents and purpose she is just following me around.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

YourName wrote: »
    If I went into Lidl to purchase alcohol, I am 21 with ID however my girlfriend had no ID with her, she is also 21. Can they ask her for ID, I am only buying 6 cans, nothing excessive. I am buying, I am paying, for all intents and purpose she is just following me around.

If the retailer forms an opinion that the alcohol is being purchased for a minor then they can also refuse to sell it, even if the purchaser is over the age.
    It works the same way with cigarettes I believe.
    So if two people come in to buy alcohol then they can ask both for ID and refuse to sell it if they are not satisfied.

Thats why the "young wans" always wait up the road a bit when they get their over-aged mate to buy their booze and fags. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Cabaal wrote: »
    spot on, Lidl have done nothing wrong here only their jobs.
    I honestly don't see the big deal here at all,
    I don't think it's a big deal in as much as it's human nature to be indignant when refused a service we qualify for even if the reasons are sound. I'm sure the OP will get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Also the cashier who actually makes the sale gets fired, it literally is written into your contract. That's why they don't give in..or shouldn't if they have any cop-on.

I get asked for ID on a relatively regular basis, be it in Lidl, Tesco, always in the O2, and going into bars. I would never be mortified by it, I'm bloody delighted and I'll be sad the day it stops! So I invested (€10) in a national age card. Best thing I ever did (possibly a slight exaggeration ) it's always in my purse, so if I have money, I have the card.

The shop are absolutely within their rights to not serve you without ID, if they feel that there is a possibility you may be under age. I'm not really sure what rights you expect you might have, but the fact is, you have none. Take it as a compliment and get yourself and age card for future occurences!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

skinsuit wrote: »
    I'd say she's 13. Am I right?

Is she seriously 13?! Link?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hard to believe someone made a thread about this.

Probably looking for a way to a handout "Lidl made me look daft in front of people"

blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

LisaLee wrote: »
    Is she seriously 13?! Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I worked in an off license and was a demon for asking for id, I did have people get annoyed at times but I always stood my ground. Now this is going back a few years but what always irritated me was that the security guys would come over and say he is ok you can serve him. After this happened with someone I knew to be underage I went to the manager and said if he wanted the sale to go ahead he could approve it at another till as I was not holding responsibilty. There was one occasion where a lad tried to buy some beer at another till, this guy worked for my dad and was well into his 30s but he did look like a teenager, still does actually and it was only due to the fact that I was so persistent in asking for id that he was eventually served, I remember him being annoyed until I told him if I didnt know him I wouldnt have served him either.

On the other side, I would love to be asked for id, Im 31, pretty sure I look 31, in fact I only remember being asked for id once since turning 17:eek: but of course, were I asked I know the sales person would be completely in the right to deny me purchase without id.

• Advertisement

There was one occasion where a lad tried to buy some beer at another till, this guy worked for my dad and was well into his 30s but he did look like a teenager, still does actually and it was only due to the fact that I was so persistent in asking for id that he was eventually served, I remember him being annoyed until I told him if I didnt know him I wouldnt have served him either.
    So you knew he was of legal age and you asked him anyway? Now that's just being a...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got asked for ID in a off licence in Terenure one night. I'm in my early 30's and look my age. The young lad behind the counter wasn't even 18. So I asked him for ID as you need to be 18 to serve alcohol. Que his very red faced father coming out and ringing the sale through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That is serious, what kind of place would risk having a person less than 18 serving. Its a bit of a kick in the teeth considering the lengths other places go to to keep legal.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    That is serious, what kind of place would risk having a person less than 18 serving. Its a bit of a kick in the teeth considering the lengths other places go to to keep legal.
    Yeah I mean you often get youngsters working in bars picking up glasses or whatever but actually serving is a huge risk to take!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ondadole

rubadub wrote: »
    Why? what is so different?
    Would you have been embarrassed in another country?

How would you describe the rights you would have liked to have had, i.e. how would they be explained legally? I am genuinely interested in how you think such laws could be worded -seeing as it is difficult to have formal legalistic common sense language in the law.

There are often questions similar to this in this forum, rather than questioning "is there a law", if you ask yourself "could there really feasibly be a law", you will often find the obvious answer.

I wouldn't be, see no reason. Usually its people being mistaken as older who are mortified. I could only think of young kids & teenagers being that concerned about looking older than they are.
    No as a matter of fact, I wouldn't be embarrassed in another country; I don't really know why? I worked abroad last summer and it did happen; but at the time I thought "There' country and there' laws"; if you get what I'm saying.
    Quote 'I wouldn't be, see no reason. Usually its people being mistaken as older who are mortified. I could only think of young kids & teenagers being that concerned about looking older than they are'.- I totally disagree with you there also; you see, I worked hard here and paid my taxes for almost 12 years in Ireland and to be refused alcohol on the basis that I might be 17 years old or younger................

I worked hard here and paid my taxes for almost 12 years in Ireland and to be refused alcohol on the basis that I might be 17 years old or younger................
    I don't really see how one relates to the other. Would you feel indignant if a guard asked you for your drivers licence to prove you're legally permitted to drive even though you're more likely to have your license on you? Or would you give him some speel about paying taxes? Ok the lad in lidl isn't a guard but he's legally empowered and obliged to ensure the transaction is done legitimately. In both cases a form of identification is required and there should be no difference when one or the other is required to be produced.

I think the real issue here is hurt pride pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i am 38 and was asked for id in sainsburys, i was delighted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I got asked in Lidil a couple of years ago, I'm 28 now and to be honest far from being embarrassed, I thought it was funny, I didn't have it on me, I offered to pay by credit card my reasoning being that you need to be over 18 to get a credit card, this was refused (wasn't surprising to be honest) as I was walking out I saw a man in his fifties walking in. I was tempted to say to him "Hey Mister, would you buy me some drink" but I bottled it and went to a Spar near by instead.

I've been back in there plenty of times since, and I've never been asked for ID again and I don't even bother to carry any more. That was the only time I was ever asked for ID in my life :D

Everyone is so untrusting nowadays, what ever happened to making sure you knew the correct year of birth for an 18 year old* :D

*Disclaimer, I know the laws have changed, and was more an effort to point out the absurdities of years gone by

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

MyKeyG wrote: »
    So you knew he was of legal age and you asked him anyway? Now that's just being a...
    it is a code of practise in the UK if a person does not look over 25 years, the person who serves them has to ask for ID,even though they may well know that costomer is of legal age,by not following that ruling they could lose their job,

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    it is a code of practise in the UK if a person does not look over 25 years, the person who serves them has to ask for ID,even though they may well know that costomer is of legal age,by not following that ruling they could lose their job,
    Well you didn't say it was in the UK but either way your entire contribution to a thread concerning practises in the ROI is moot wouldn't you say?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement